Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Facebook anybody?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
JimWagner said:
The good: You can find people you haven't seen in a long time.
The bad: People you haven't seen in a long time can find you.
Yep, and the bad far outweighs the good.....lol

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Foofoogal said:

Hi Foofoogal - this is what's know as a "vanity url."

Go to: http://www.facebook.com/username/ and it will give you the option to change your own page and lower down your business page.

I made a screen cap to make it easier for you:

facebook.jpg

;)

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
And has anyone seen the latest advertisements for the all new "Face Book"?

080610Facebook.jpg

:D

Mr. 'H' said:
Hilarious, and so well made:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iROYzrm5SBM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iROYzrm5SBM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Foofoogal

Banned
thank you Mr. H. I will try that. I think I did once but could not figure it out.
I appreciate you taking the time to try to help. Sandy
foofoogal.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a Facebook account. Not consistently, as I'm not the most sociable person (I'm one of those guys that feels alone in the crowd, if you know what I mean), but it is a good way to keep up with friends and family as I'm away at college. It's also a good way to coordinate and meet up with classmates and new people that I meet.

I do find some people on Facebook somewhat annoying (those that post song lyrics and poems, a peeve of mine lol), so I simply use the Hide feature. As I said, I'm not that sociable lol.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Mav said:
I'm about one more "Chris is checking in from Starbucks at Fisherman's Wharf" away from doing the same thing. shakeshead

I hear you...I had my account for years, but in the end really failed to see the point of it. It got to the point where people were asking personal questions on my stats rather than taking the time to private message..and the trivial and stupid stat chats oh dear...not to mention the privacy issues (which most people seem to shrug off)!
X
BD

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I bet in the near future, FB will be hooked up to Google Maps, and everyone will have to use a webcam....and then everyone can watch each other all the time ...Big Brother...*lol*

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Love FB. It's just a fun, little thing. I don't take it too seriously, nor do I post anything too personal. I keep up with friends and family who have moved away and friends from my old hometown that I haven't seen in years. Not to mention the NEW friends I've made (but have yet to meet!)

I keep it private (check it regularly) and have made it so no one can add me. I'm choosy about who is on my list and I if I don't like an app or a game I just HIDE it. And that's it.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Amy Jeanne said:
Love FB. It's just a fun, little thing. I don't take it too seriously, nor do I post anything too personal. I keep up with friends and family who have moved away and friends from my old hometown that I haven't seen in years. Not to mention the NEW friends I've made (but have yet to meet!)

I keep it private (check it regularly) and have made it so no one can add me. I'm choosy about who is on my list and I if I don't like an app or a game I just HIDE it. And that's it.

:arated: :arated:

This.

People who share too much, or fail to realise that its still the internet (and by definition NOT private ever) and put too much resource in the 'how DARE they expose me responsibilities of the providers...instead of learning how to use the tools to benefit them.

That is not a company's fault..just like using a supermarket swipe discount card is not necessarily for -your- benefit either....its a marketing tool for the store.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
I'm pretty much the same as Neophyte and Amy Jeanne with it. Just people who, while I may never get to see in real life, are nice to keep connected with. Typically my 'contacts' either come from spiritual forums or historical forums and that's it.

No Farmville or any of those things for me...besides, I'm still trying to figure out how to get it all connected to my website...[huh]

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:
:arated: :arated:

This.

People who share too much, or fail to realise that its still the internet (and by definition NOT private ever) and put too much resource in the 'how DARE they expose me responsibilities of the providers...instead of learning how to use the tools to benefit them.

That is not a company's fault..just like using a supermarket swipe discount card is not necessarily for -your- benefit either....its a marketing tool for the store.

Word.

Also, I love my "mundane" Facebookers! It makes them "regular" to me. I love knowing about the little things people do and the little things that make them who they are. If I want intellectual stimulation I'll go read 16th century literature.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:

No, it's not the company's fault. But FB, unlike other social services, have broken privacy laws (in Canada anyhow). It's up to the user to be informed, which it seems most are. I kept my settings private when I was on there. However, that doesn't stop them from storing all your contact information, relationships, photos, etc in a database even after you delete your account.

X
BD

CopperNY

A-List Customer
i finally have a FB account.

i had increasing difficulty contacting friends for things like weekly hobby related meetings, impulsive weekend outings, etc..

many people i know only check their email -weekly-, but they will answer a FB message or chat in all of TEN SECONDS!

i have been found by a lot of my college fraternity friends, as well as high school buddies.

in a way it's neat, but it's also sad that some folks substitute FB "friends" for interaction with real people.

i'm torn.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I'm on facebook. Matt Turpin - can't miss me, because I use facebook as the hub for all my photos, and thus my avatars tend to be shared across the net. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't tell the world what I'm up to every day. People need to know these things.

Jezebel_Amazon

One of the Regulars
I'm sorry but I do like facebook.. I never post anything too personal. (Other than currently complaining about my sprained ankle.) It's good for finding out about shows and events.. and I'll admit to being a gossip sometimes... :eusa_doh:

Anyway heres my page: facebook.com/JEZEBEL.THE.AMAZON

It would be nice to have people "like" all the old obscure videos and photos I post up....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo