Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Facebook anybody?

HepKitty

One Too Many
I'm sure you've already heard the scoop on those games (child-neglect due to parental obsession). One woman shook her baby to death because he wouldn't stop screaming during her Farmville session, and a Korean couple let their infant daughter starve to death because they were to busy raising a virtual baby.

We love our irony.

Links:
http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2010-10-27/story/jacksonville-mom-shakes-baby-interrupting-farmville-pleads-guilty-murder
http://www.boston.com/community/moms/blogs/child_caring/2010/03/couples_baby_dies_while_they_raise_virtual_child.html

That's so sad. I know people who bought headphones for the computers so they didn't have to listen to their kids, and my own sister and her s/o spend hours on end playing warcrack while her kids do all the housework, then if the s/o is feeling generous, he will allow my sister's kids to play for a while too. How's that for family dynamics?

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
That's so sad. I know people who bought headphones for the computers so they didn't have to listen to their kids, and my own sister and her s/o spend hours on end playing warcrack while her kids do all the housework, then if the s/o is feeling generous, he will allow my sister's kids to play for a while too. How's that for family dynamics?

Wow. Classy. :eek:

martinsantos

Practically Family
Tv ever looked me to be the most passive ententainment ever created. Except a few "specials" now and hten, never found it really additive (unlike radio, that touch so deeply the imagination).

About Facebook. In ten years it will be just another orkut. So popular 5 years ago, and now very few people still uses in a regular, daily basis.

I've also been more than alright without cable...although I did love the History Channel...

But anyway: Facebook. Will we all still have profiles 10 years from now?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
A young man in his twenties wanted to express his gratitude about the victories the youth of 25th of January have achieved and chose to express it in the form of naming his firstborn girl "Facebook" Jamal Ibrahim (his name.) The girl's family, friends, and neighbors in the Ibrahimya region gathered around the new born to express their continuing support for the revolution that started on Facebook. "Facebook" received many gifts from the youth who were overjoyed by her arrival and the new name. A name [Facebook] that shocked the entire world.

Article here.

Machine Ager

Familiar Face
I have a FB account.

As many others have mentioned it is a useful and cost effective medium for social sharing especially with family and friends in England.

I do get concerned it seems folks are using these social networks more and actually physically interacting less.... however here I am on a cyberspace forum.... :)

MA

mhollis44

Familiar Face
Fortunately the s/o moved out last week, deadbeat that he is. But I could still smack them all upside the head

HepKitty - Thank goodness for small miracles. It has to be a relief.

I do have a FB account, albeit rarely used. I originally set it up to reconnect with high school/college friends and it served its purpose well. I really don't get the whole gaming thing, however. Imagine someone on the FL being "old fashioned" :eeek:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
My husband, daughter and three sons all have FB accounts. Guess who doesn't? ;) My husband uses it to keep up with family and for work, my children use it because it's cool, but what do I need it for? I just don't get it. I had a blog and people that I didn't want to find me did and I didn't even use my real name (which I'm sure you know I don't here either). I can't imagine all the losers from high school, ex-boyfriends, my husband's ex-wife, etc. finding me. I know you can say no to people that request friendship, but if I want to know about your personal life I will call you or email you and vice versa. If you haven't talked to me in 20 years, there's a reason lol, but to each his own ;)

Well, that answers THAT question. LOL

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Facebook? No, thank you.
I prefer real life, flesh and blood human beings and face to face conversation.
This subject always reminds me of Brad Paisley song: "Online":
I work down at the Pizza Pit
And I drive an old Hyundai
I still live with my mom and dad
I'm 5 foot 3 and overweight
I'm a scifi fanatic
A mild asthmatic
And I've never been to second base
But there's whole ‘nother me
That you need to see
Go checkout MySpace

'Cause online I'm out in Hollywood
I'm 6 foot 5 and I look damn good
I drive a Maserati
I'm a black-belt in karate
And I love a good glass of wine
It turns girls on that I’m mysterious
I tell them I don't want nothing serious
'Cause even on a slow day
I could have a three way
Chat with two women at one time
I’m so much cooler online
So much cooler online

When I get home I kiss my mom
And she fixes me a snack
And I head down to my basement bedroom
And fire up my mac
In real life the only time I’ve ever even been to L.A
Is when I got the chance with the marching band
To play tuba in the Rose Parade

Online I live in Malibu
I pose for Calvin Klein, I've been in GQ
I'm single and I'm rich
And I've got a set of six pack abs that would blow your mind
It turns girls on that I’m mysterious
I tell them I don't want nothing serious
'Cause even on a slow day
I could have a three way
Chat with two women at one time
I’m so much cooler online
Yeah, I'm cooler online

When you got my kind of stats
It’s hard to get a date
Let alone a real girlfriend
But I grow another foot and I lose a bunch of weight
Every time I login

Mr. Hallack

One of the Regulars
Yeah I'm on Facebook too, have found a lot of missing friends from decades ago. And most of them seem to be happy I found them!! (I think) I am also on the Fedora Lounge group too, look for my last name!!

martinsantos

Practically Family
Some years ago were common here some companies who specialized in "finding" old school friends... An expensive task. By facebook we could do a meeting (and find ourselves again) in a easier and cheaper way. For this I'm very happy about facebook!

rue

When "borrowing" your teenagers FB account, it's disappointing to find out you can't be nosey, because 'certain people' have their accounts blocked from public view.
I still refuse to get one and open up that can of worms though :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points