Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Facebook anybody?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The main thing I dislike about FB is they do not give you the ability to have 2 separate accounts. I have one for family but it is tied to my business Fan page so many times people want to join my fan one but contact me thru the family one so I have to privately message them with the link to my business one. What a pain.
----------
Miss Peach: Congratulations.

You definitely can - you just have to login with a different email account, and setting up a second account is as easy as going to Gmail, Hotmail, or any of loads of other free email providers. They ask that you provide your "real" name bit there's no checking. Use a nickname or make up a second or third for as many FB accounts as you want.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Very true. This year I whittled-down my friends-list to about 70 people, because I really didn't need to see the duck-faced bar-photos or read the melodramatic statuses of 'acquaintances'. I'm still tickled by the fact that our current lives have an 'edit friends' feature.

I block the more obnoxious posts, game and cause requests, and anything else that I don't care to see. I probably should go on a small deleting spree though, friends of friends who send requests but never talk to me. Why bother in the first place then?

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
I must be doing something wrong or, I truly am a loner.
2 yrs now and 27 fb 'friends' [huh] but at least thats more than I have in real life :eek:

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
I block the more obnoxious posts, game and cause requests, and anything else that I don't care to see. I probably should go on a small deleting spree though, friends of friends who send requests but never talk to me. Why bother in the first place then?

I made my profile unsearchable for that same exact reason. Still doesn't stop the 'mutuals' though. I had a few high-school/college attendees do that same exact thing - friend me, but never talk. ...It's like they did it just to check up on me. I also upped my FB privacy after a conversation between two of my coworkers this summer.

"Wait, how do you know my middle name?"
"Facebook"
"You've traveled to (location) before, haven't you?"
"How do you know that?!"
"Facebook."

Creepy.

And shopgirl, you've upped your friend-count by 4 since your last post here : ) Remember: it's still quality over quantity, and you still have the Lounge at your disposal.

HepKitty

One Too Many
I made my profile unsearchable for that same exact reason. Still doesn't stop the 'mutuals' though. I had a few high-school/college attendees do that same exact thing - friend me, but never talk. ...It's like they did it just to check up on me. I also upped my FB privacy after a conversation between two of my coworkers this summer.

"Wait, how do you know my middle name?"
"Facebook"
"You've traveled to (location) before, haven't you?"
"How do you know that?!"
"Facebook."

Creepy.

And shopgirl, you've upped your friend-count by 4 since your last post here : ) Remember: it's still quality over quantity, and you still have the Lounge at your disposal.

That's creepy. I swear some people need to find more meaning in their own lives instead of invading others' lives. Yeah people do use it to spy. My ex had the nerve to try to friend me on myspace so I killed my account and started another one months later. Then his new wife tried to friend my good friend on facebook probably hoping that my info is open to friends of friends, which it isn't, and Kim isn't stupid enough to accept a request from her anyway. Why, when Kim doesn't like her to begin with?

Sorta :eek:fftopic: but speaking of spying, the ex set up yahoo accounts for my kids and has them begging to be able to chat with me online. Who does he think he's kidding? I'll stick with the phone, thanks

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
HepKitty: sounds like you've got your hands full with various drama this year - I hope things improve.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
If people send you a friends request you have to accept it. Why accept people you don't know and then complain about it?

If I don't know the person I check out their profile. If we have stuff in common, I will add them. If there is no interaction I usually take them off within a couple weeks. No biggie. If there is NOTHING in common, I click the "IGNORE" button.

Most of the people on my list are family, people I actually know IN REAL LIFE, or they are a AWESOME AS HELL people I would like to know in real life. And, yes, I do consider them friends. Everyone else can get stuffed.

HepKitty

One Too Many
HepKitty: sounds like you've got your hands full with various drama this year - I hope things improve.

Thank you dahling. I'm no fan of drama as it is

If people send you a friends request you have to accept it. Why accept people you don't know and then complain about it?

If I don't know the person I check out their profile. If we have stuff in common, I will add them. If there is no interaction I usually take them off within a couple weeks. No biggie. If there is NOTHING in common, I click the "IGNORE" button.

Most of the people on my list are family, people I actually know IN REAL LIFE, or they are a AWESOME AS HELL people I would like to know in real life. And, yes, I do consider them friends. Everyone else can get stuffed.

I've done that too, remove if nothing interesting is going on.

martinsantos

Practically Family
FB is funny to get in touch with people you don't see for a long time. Or as a way to talk with other people.

I have it, and if you want to talk, etc, I will be glad to add you! Just look for Martin Carone Santos.

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
Im on FB : Sharon Jones is the name :) I think its a fantastic way to keep in touch with people. Ive found many people Ive havn't seen for years thanks to FB.

TheLibrarian

New in Town
I'm on FB all the time. (Fairly close to literally, actually.)

Feel free to add me. I'm Drusilla Carter. The one with the Packard in the background and the enormous hat. (There is another Drusilla Carter, who is very nice, but she's not a member of the Lounge. At least as far as I know.)

CharlieB

A-List Customer
I got on about a year and a half ago to help coordiante our 30th high school class reunion. Since then, I find I forget to even look at it, and only do so about once per week, and very rarely post anything. I find that I have very little interest in what most people post - maybe it's just the people I am freinds with!

I would much rather spend my online time here in the FL.

Old Rogue

Practically Family
I'm an IT pro in real life. Just a word of caution about Facebook. Although the concept is great for collaboration and networking, the company doesn't implement the best security on their servers and does not throughly examine 3rd party code (that gives Facebook users some of the optional capabilities) for security vulnerabilities. This means that some of the code may be doing things like snooping around your hard drive looking for account numbers, passwords, etc. and sending them to someone intent on committing identity theft without your knowledge. Some features, like posting your geographic location based on the IP address of the computer you are using or the GPS location from your smart phone, are enabled by default and may tell people looking at your page more info about you than you'd really like them to know. I'm not telling anyone not to use Facebook, and it's not the only social networking site that presents these types of risks, but just saying be aware of the potential risks that you face and take the time to learn how to properly secure your computer and personal data. End of lecture. :)

Old Rogue

Practically Family
:eusa_clap

He and Red Skelton IMHO were men of a lost breed. Hilarious without vulgarity.

A gentleman whom I've known for years (he's in his mid-80's now) was in the Army with Red Skelton. Nothing really significant about that other than I agree that Red was one of the greatest comedians of all time and I think it's cool to know someone that knew him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto