Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FACEBOOK: the end of the world as we knew it...

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I just got the family Thanksgiving invite of whose house its at this year, etc.- from a Facebook message of a sibling... and this sibling literally lives five minutes from me.

Cap'n Spaulding

New in Town
As much as I love the interwebs, it really has changed things. For example, I work in an office with five other people and we all use instant messenger to communicate, even though our offices are a few feet apart.

Foofoogal

Banned
My little sister was not amused when i showed her facebook page on Google to her with her pixs and her pals pixs I keep telling her to be safe online. I seriously think these places have some responsibility to teach people how to be safe online.
I have no problem with the new fangled gadgets online if used properly.
One rule to know is not to put your childrens photos. Bad people out there. :eek:fftopic:

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
The Mr. and I enjoy sitting side by side, sharing a bottle of wine, winding up each other and our pals on fb. But of course, I also take great pleasure in using real stamps to send real letters written by real hand.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
Foofoogal said:
My little sister was not amused when i showed her facebook page on Google to her with her pixs and her pals pixs I keep telling her to be safe online. I seriously think these places have some responsibility to teach people how to be safe online.
I have no problem with the new fangled gadgets online if used properly.
One rule to know is not to put your childrens photos. Bad people out there. :eek:fftopic:

To respectively disagree. It's parents responsibility to monitor their children's actions and safety.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Alexi said:
To respectively disagree. It's parents responsibility to monitor their children's actions and safety.

You're very right - It's something parents don't do much of anymore. Although, I interpreted that as a parent posting their child's picture on their own Facebook, which people do a lot of too.

:eek:fftopic: It reminds me of a CSI episode where a postpartum psychotic, who lost her baby, took photos of a boy from another family's website and created the fantasy that he was really her child. In today's world, its very possible.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Cap'n Spaulding said:
As much as I love the interwebs, it really has changed things. For example, I work in an office with five other people and we all use instant messenger to communicate, even though our offices are a few feet apart.

Same here. It's rather pathetic when you think about it.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I'm not a fan of facebook, twitter, texting, evites, or any of that other new-fangled stuff. lol My personal opinion is that it has created a socially-inept generation, where interactions consist of emails, blog or facebook posts, and text messages, rather than face-to-face exchanges or conversations. It has done away with so many social niceties. There was a day when people spoke to one another, picked up the telephone, or sent letters. Now I watch couples sitting next to one another in a restaurant - each turned away from each other and furiously texting. Many people seem to be unable to cope without the electronic security blanket; such as the day Facebook was down and the entire planet ground to a halt because people couldn't update their status. I find it troubling, which is why I choose to avoid all of the above, and only sometimes participate in online discussion forums.

So Carey, I understand what you're saying. I feel it too.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
fortworthgal said:
I'm not a fan of facebook, twitter, texting, evites, or any of that other new-fangled stuff. lol My personal opinion is that it has created a socially-inept generation, where interactions consist of emails, blog or facebook posts, and text messages, rather than face-to-face exchanges or conversations. It has done away with so many social niceties. There was a day when people spoke to one another, picked up the telephone, or sent letters. Now I watch couples sitting next to one another in a restaurant - each turned away from each other and furiously texting. Many people seem to be unable to cope without the electronic security blanket; such as the day Facebook was down and the entire planet ground to a halt because people couldn't update their status. I find it troubling, which is why I choose to avoid all of the above, and only sometimes participate in online discussion forums.

You could say the same thing about TV or any other distraction. A major cause of being socially inept is not getting enough practice socializing, regardless of the cause and regardless of which generation a person belongs to.

ETA: There are serious occasions when only a letter or visit will do. I don't see a family turkey-fest as being in the same category as a wedding or a condolence visit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy