Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Facebook trolling for my business

Duper

Practically Family
I have a Facebook account. I don't use it regularly. I don't have any friends. That was my intent. I use it to look at other business related Facebook pages when it is required that I signon to facebook for more access. I occasionally post a comment to the Stormy Kromer site or the like. Similar uses like yesterday when I wanted to look around Matt Deckard's site for photos of the open crown Stetson.

I get constant emails from facebook. Do you know so and so? Interesting pages and more! On my Facebook my page has a photo of my wife, my son and myself while on holidays a few years back. I am wearing my Akubra Traveller in the image.

Just a couple of days back I got another one of the "Interesting Pages on Facebook" emails.

6 links. Every link had an image of someone wearing a broad brimmed hat.
John Wayne, Merle Haggard, Working Ranch Cowboys association, Dwight Yoakam, Clint Eastwood and Hank Williams Jr.

It is interseting just how much information they collect about us in cyberspace.

It is interseting just how much information they collect about us in cyberspace.

It's just what they do for a living... good that they have you connected with hat promotions. It could be worse.

For what it's worth, I find Facebook much more fun with friends. ;)

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
Don't worry about whether or not you understand your facebook account. The morning after you figure everything out there is a better than even chance they will change everything. I now have to hunt for the hat sites that used to show up whenever I logged on. There ought to be a law...

After several virus emails traced back to facebook, and the same unsolicited lot of garbage as you experienced, I closed the account. Not to worry, though, as they promised to reserve my account, and preserve my info, in the event that I wish to "re-establish" myself.

I'm going to wait until it really catches on.

Edward

Bartender
There are two Lounge-related Facebook pages currently: a recetly established "official" page, and one that has been kicking around for a while that just sort of happened informally. At some future point we'll probably merge them into one.

As to Facebook more generally.... they do indeed collect a lot of information about you - as do many other companies, including google. It's the nature of the web: none of us are prepared to pay for Facebook, so they have to make their money some other way. The problem is not so much that the Zuckerbergs don't respect privacy, they genuinely don't seem to understand the concept (at least when it's other people's privacy.... they get very snotty very quickly when it's their own). Of course, they can't share information you don't give them.... they're still chasing me for a phone number and hometown data, but I won't play ball. I find the ads are easily ignored.... though sometimes I do play with them by reporting them as offensive (dating sites, credit card sites.... ha...). FWIW, you can also switch off email notifications entirely.

-30-

A-List Customer
"It is interesting just how much information they collect about us in cyberspace."
QUOTE: Duper.

Everything they can; Everything.

Regards,
-30-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran