Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fall/Winter Hats for Windy Conditions

Ray-Vigo

New in Town
Are they any vintage hat styles that can weather windy conditions? On good days I have a group of Fedoras, but when the conditions are too windy for them, what kind of a vintage style hat would work? Do Derby hats or the like stay on when the wind is really blowing hard, what about some kind of a soft, flat cap? Any suggestions? I'm looking for something that can be worn to work with a jacket and tie.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
My winter hat looks like this one. It's Persian lamb, or astrakhan. I had it custom made a few years ago and love it. It looks fine with jeans or a suit.
C7431.jpg

duggap

Banned
Probably the best thing you can do is to make sure the hat fits properly. When fitted properly they will stand up to a pretty good wind. Then you just tilt you head into the direction the wind is blowing. Some hats come with a wind trolly, which is a button on an elastic string which you undo and put the button in your shirt or jacket button hole and if the hat blows off it will stay with you.:p

Ray-Vigo

New in Town
Well by "windy" I don't just mean breezy days, I mean days like today in Maryland where the wind is swirling a bit and gusting upwards of 40-50 mph. I walk a mile and a quarter each way to work, so I don't want to be putting the hat back on after it blows off a bunch of times or have it get away. Even with a lapel cord it would still just keep blowing off because the wind can get nasty.

How about a Derby hat or maybe one of those soft "newsboy" hats do in a stronger wind? I haven't had a Derby in a very long time, so I don't remember how they do in the wind. I've never owned a newsboy type hat.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Flat caps

For arctic and windy, thinsulate lined tweed with drop down rabbit lined ear muffs. Tested and approved for Chicago Winters. ;)

Shoes454.jpg

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Ray-Vigo said:
Are they any vintage hat styles that can weather windy conditions? On good days I have a group of Fedoras, but when the conditions are too windy for them, what kind of a vintage style hat would work? Do Derby hats or the like stay on when the wind is really blowing hard, what about some kind of a soft, flat cap? Any suggestions? I'm looking for something that can be worn to work with a jacket and tie.
How about a Fedora with a wind trolley? That way IF your hat blows off it won't blow away. Without some kind of leash or chin strap, I don't know of any hat style that is 100% wind proof.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
I agree that it's all a matter of fit. I see some pictures of folks around here with hats that sit way up on their heads- well, to each his own, but I like a hat to fit in such a way that when the wind blows I can tug it down and it will stay on. That's what I've been doing the last couple of days here- it do get windy in these mountains!

I used to wear a classic Kangol cap with the sewn brim ( not to be confused with these latter-day hip-hop Kangols) and such a hat will stay on no matter what. I think the sewn brim made the hat a little sleeker and more sophisticated looking than the type with the snap holding the brim down.

An alternative is the beret. They are warm and comfortable, but not everyone can pull it off, so to speak. If worn wrong, and with a lack of brio or panache a beret can make you look like a total idiot.

Really warm headgear like watch caps, toques, toboggans and the like, are NOT ON. With casual garments, yes. With a coat or suit and tie you'd look like a cretin- not to mention the severe STATIC ELECTRICITY HAIR you get when you take such a cap off!

celtic

A-List Customer
IMHO Caps are much better than hats in the wind.

Although round these parts (central NY) I usually switch to winter knit caps (watch caps or ski caps) in the winter when it gets cold and windy. I have no hair and I hate the look of earmuffs.

Feraud

Bartender
If weather conditions are windy, get yourself a thick cap with earflaps. Look for one of those sheepskin lined numbers.
Chasing a fedora is no fun.

Ray-Vigo

New in Town
I have an old pilot's hat around. I use it for skiing and working in the snow. It's great for that sort of thing. I wouldn't wear it to work. It's quite warm though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn