Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fallschirmjager Regiment 6 - Pacific Northwest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davep

One of the Regulars
I think what Paden is saying is walk a mile in his shoes. We in the United States can take certain liberties when it come to WW2 Reenacting, that just are not there for those in Europe. Also Germany in these matters is looked at under a microscope. So you can't use one measuring stick and apply it to all reenactor's worldwide.

While I disagree with Paden's viewpoint, if they were applied in the United States, I now understand his viewpont from a German or Germany perspective.

p51

One Too Many
Amazing.
This started off as someone showing neat photos from his re-enacting unit. Nothing more than that.
Look where it went. [huh]
And people wonder why don't do a German impression.

I always explain re-enacting WW2 with my "Seven-Eleven Theory" (patent pending):
  • I walk into a gas station dressed as a grunt, paratrooper or War Correspondent, and the people in the store will ask, "Why are dressed like that?"
  • Now, I walk into the very same gas station dressed as a German grunt, paratrooper or whatever, and the people in the store will ask, "Why the f**k are you dressed like that?"

_RAGNAR_

One of the Regulars
Spitfire said:
Ragnar - the more you talk, the more it feels like you have to excuse yourself - and your group.
Or you have to cover up.
We've all seen the pictures, we have all let our different opinions out.

Why don't you and your group just go out in the woods and play war.

This conversation is getting nasty. And you spur it along with statements like "you can believe what you want - thanks to the allies".:rage:
This is a forum of gentlemen. Please behave like one.

You are right. I should have only responded to people asking questions that wanted to make decisions after learning, as opposed to people who decided before knowing anything based only on their prejudices.

Once again though, you tell people what to do. I would think a gentleman would let people do as they wish.

What would be gentlemanly to me is not tell people to think, or tell people to go away. In my book a gentlemen assumes competence and good intentions first until proven otherwise.

If some of my responses were rude, they were responding not initiating. I have responded to polite conversation with polite conversation. To people who wanted to order me about, I responded appropriately IMO.

_RAGNAR_

One of the Regulars
Spitfire, after thinking about it this is what I would rather say: maybe I am overreacting to your communication style. To me it comes of as ordering and lecturing, maybe from the beginning you didn’t mean it that way and maybe I overacted. I am willing to discuss reenacting and WWII, etc, etc.

But I, like anyone including yourself I am sure, am not interested in being told or lectured to on what to think or do.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Every person is entitled to their own opinion. As my mother always said, "just because you disagree with someone doesn't me you have to say so," which I have found to be a key philosophy to getting along with all sorts of divergent people.

Considering, though, that folks aren't seeming to take such a tact, I would like to humbly ask that the Bartenders close this thread. The nature of what this discussion has become is not what I want to see on the lounge.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
_RAGNAR_ said:
Spitfire, after thinking about it this is what I would rather say: maybe I am overreacting to your communication style. To me it comes of as ordering and lecturing, maybe from the beginning you didn’t mean it that way and maybe I overacted. I am willing to discuss reenacting and WWII, etc, etc.

But I, like anyone including yourself I am sure, am not interested in being told or lectured to on what to think or do.

OK - neither do I.
So let's declare a "waffenstillstand" and hope for peace! ;)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
And on that note...

We'll call it a day on this one, as most views have been expressed and the pros-and-cons brought to the fore. Thanks gentlemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24