Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Farewell Trinity...Fare Well

Magus

Practically Family
Greetings from a long lost Lounger who has found his way back. Its been quite a while since I was last seen in these parts...so long in fact I had forgotten my ID and even made a new account...But I digress.

I am here to pay tribute to a great travel hat, which is continuing its adventures without me. I was in Hungary last month and, as usual my Lee Trinity was with me. I take it because its worn, moth nibbled, tight but not too tight, and comes back to life even if sat on. In other words...not a hat that I was afraid of harming, but still had great style to it. I had been over there working on a humanitarian project and we had gone at it hard for a solid week and only had one day to see Budapest. A strong gust of wind combined with the speed of the open top bus conspired to take it from me and it gave me a gut shot feeling to see it sitting peacefully beside the road on Buda Hill...on the grass as if I had set it down to take a quick rest.

My Lee Trinity saw a lot of years before I was born, and I suppose it knows its way around...farewell Good Friend

The last picture of it...in front ot the Synagogue in Budapest.
Budapest.jpg

DrSpeed

One of the Regulars
You didn't try to persuade the driver to stop (at gunpoint if necessary)? Or to jump off? Or to... well, anything to save your Lee?
It must have been hard :cry:.
But, on the bright side, some Hungarian guy might now have a really nice hat. Perhaps he'll even show up here!

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Oh man, very sorry for this loss... hopefully the founder is a person who can appreciate hat and willing to wear it, not dumping it. Was it in remote area where you lost it?

Magus

Practically Family
Yohanes said:
.... Was it in remote area where you lost it?

It was comming down Buda Hill...which is near the Danube across from downtown Budapest. The street was narrow...two lanes...and the buss had nowhere to stop...and I had a couple of people who i was with and couldn't leave them or drag them off in an unknown area..though...the thought did cross my mind. I do wonder who's head it ended up on.

freebird

Practically Family
Sorry to hear of your loss, I know it was tough. One of my hats is the same way, mothbitten, a hole or two just starting through the crown, but by far the most comfortable hat I've got.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Brother, I feel your pain.

I once lost a brand new Borsalino when a gust of wind deposited it into the Chicago River while I was crossing the Michigan Avenue bridge. :(

istockphoto_2282937_michigan_avenue_bridge_chicago.jpg

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome back, Magus

...wish it were under better circumstances.

I lost a gorgeous 40s panama when it blew off my head
at a freeway offramp. I do still have it, but it's trashed.

Still doing the leather work?

YETI

A-List Customer
that really sucks . . . I know all hats don't have a trolley, but next time I'm riding in a convertible and my fedora doesn't happen to have one, my hand will grasp that crown for dear life. :eusa_doh:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Many years ago I had an almost new Yankees cap that I left at a friend's house. They totally forgot who left it there, and gave it to a young French teenager who was visiting them. About a year later I asked them what ever became of my cap, and they apologized profusely. I really didn't mind, because I got a real charge out of the idea of my ballcap wandering down the Champs Elysees. I'm sure somebody found your hat who will either wear it, if it fits, or give it to somebody it does fit. Either way, it will have a kharma and mystery to it that will make it a prized possession for . . . somebody in Budapest! How cool is that!?

Good to be hearing from you again, Magus. Major bummage on the departed Lee, though. As I recall, you had some rather extraordinary vintage lids, right? Some unusual ones, at any rate -- hats of French manufacture and whatnot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24