Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion Swap Parties.........

jessesgirl08

One of the Regulars
I just recently heard of this idea and i am very intrigued. Seems to be a great way to change up your wardrobe.;) I would love to have one but being relatively new to dressing vintage (although not new to the vintage) i have yet to really make friends that are also vintage dressers, so i wonder how one would go about setting something like this up? has anyone evr held one or been to one? Anyone interested in having one or participating in one in the LA area? any feedback is appreciated. Thanks,

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
It doesn't have to be themed. I have a friend who has them regularly and while I don't often find stuff I want, it's a great way for me to get rid of stuff that would otherwise go to the Salvation Army. They can also be a good way to pick up basic items.

Set up an evite, invite a bunch of people over, you can do it as a brunch if you want. Ones I've been to have had some light food and mimosas for an early afternoon event.

As for how the swap actually runs, there are a couple of different ways to make it work. If you have space, everyone can put their stuff out and everyone else can just go through it at leisure. I think the best way is to give each person a turn to just hold up their items, in case there's anything they'd like to say about them like "this is a designer dress that cost me $200" or whatever.

Foofoogal

Banned
sounds fantastic. I imagine one could put one together on the site MeetUp.

As long as beaded cardigans show up I would love to swap vintage.

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
I just went to a clothing swap yesterday! Everyone just put their stuff out and we all just browsed through it all.

One thing I will say if you are hosting one, be aware of sizes. When you invite people, try to either include many people who are a range of sizes or restrict it to one size range. I am in 12/14 range and the person hosting it and most of the people she invited are in the 4-8 range. I anticipated there not being anything in my size, but I went anyway for the social side. It turned out there was one other woman in my range and we did swap a few things. It is the worst feeling to go to one and be the only person who wears your size. A little planning can help make sure that no one ends up with "I'm not the right size" angst.

It did reinforce for me how much more I like vintage styles; looking at things and thinking about how much nicer golden era styles are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy