Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashionistas-- suggestions!

MissTayva

Okay, I have a question for all of you lovely ladies.
Some time ago, I purchased a lovely gabardine pencil skirt off eBay. I purchased it from a friend of mine, who happened to mis-measure the darn thing by two whole inches! Well, it is entirely too small for me, and upon inspection of the skirt, there is no allowance for me to let it out. What makes this so difficult is that it is a patterned gabardine:

ropaswatches.jpg

(it is the swatch on the right, second row-- grey gab flecked with red and white)

I am able to find that same pattern gabardine, but not in that same color. Even if I could, I'm sure the fabric wouldn't match exactly, as my skirt is vintage and the fabric is reproduction.

Any suggestions what I should do to let it out? I was thinking maybe making inlay sort of things on the hip seams... but wanted the opinions of others before proceeding. I really like the idea of having a pencil skirt with this pattern of gab... but if it doesn't work out, I may end up using the skirt to make the yoke of a cute '50s-style waist jacket.

Help!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
hmmm... that's a tough one.
*If the skirt is long enough I would try to take some extra off of the hem length and use the length to piece side panels so that the fabric matches. Measure the width of the bottom skirt, then take that length and measure from the waistline down to the hem and see where it hits. If it's too short of a measurement that may not work... but you could see where it hits. I think they generally were below knee in the 50's, and if the skirt is mid calf now, that may give you enough to play with. Granted that the pattern will be going in a different direction, it wouldn't be as noticable as if you took an insert of a different and contrasting color and put it down the sides.
*If it has a side zipper this could be trickier, and you may want to consider putting a panel down center front or back instead (or both) and while you're at it you could add a kick pleat or something interesting (maybe even finish it off with a little bow made in the same fabric or scraps to match.
*If you're going for a more modern look the panels of contrasting fabric should be fine.
*and don't forget to check the seam allowances currently in the skirt, as vintage skirts often had 1" or more seam allowance and modern clothing has 1/2" seam and that works out fine for construction. If that's the case, you would have a whole 2" added to the measurements when you were done and you'd only have to make a new waistband. It would probably need a pretty good steaming to get the fabric flat after you pull the seams out, and you may want to turn it inside out to check that the outside fabric hasn't faded with time (turn half inside out and compare with the other side that is rightside out.) It would stink to have miscolored stripes down the sides of your skirt after all your hard work!
*Check ebay for vintage patterns to get ideas of the styles they had at the time to help you get creative. (under collectables- vintage sewing- patterns- women then search like this for 50's ( copy this (1950's,1950s,195*,50s,50s) +skirt ) cause they are sooo much easier to find then vintage magazine illustrations in sizes big enough to look at the actual lines of the garment.
Hope that helps, and good luck!

MissTayva

Wow, thanks for all of that info!
I actually won't be the one working on the skirt (I haven't touched a sewing machine in YEARS!). I just wanted to pass along the info. to my seamstress, after I picked people's brains for ideas. Unfortunately, there isn't enough seam allowance... that's sort of why I came up with the idea of skinny panels going down the side. She made me a pair of capri pants that are like that-- black gab with panels/inserts of silver satin, with saddle sticthing next to the panels (sort of like the pants that Gene Vincent wore).

Now that I think about it, I have a pattern for such a skirt... it's just packed away somewhere.

Again, thanks! You have been very helpful! :)

MissTayva

Oh, they are quite adorable! I've yet to receive them, though. My 'gal' is also making me a gold lame' dress, and we're just waiting on that!

I think I need to march my butt down to one of the community colleges to see if they offer any sewing classes, just as a refresher. I learned how to sew in high school-- and became quite good at it! I just sort of lost interest once I started having children and then um, completely forgot about it. I tried to sew something not too long ago and have completely forgotten everything!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran