Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

favorite cars of the golden era

Chrome said:
My favorite car is definitely early to mid '50s Cadillacs and my own '49 Buick Roadmaster.

link to pic.
http://tinyurl.com/9gmupa

You sure you don't like this cadillac a bit more?:
res20010701cc00.jpg

There is certainly a lot of chrome there. ;)

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
I'm one of those people who can't quite loook a '39 Buick in the eye. They just make me wince.

I'm with the majority: the '39 Buick didn't quite get it right. The grille was too small, the evolution from the vertical stack to the horizontal fan incomplete. The result was a grille that just looks too small for the size of the car and the bug-eye lights. A metamorphosis in progress caught by a flashbulb. By '40 the symmetry returned with a larger grille and the lights fully incorporated into the fenders.

Alas, I'm partial to the '38, the year the styling and technical transformation of Buick was complete. Here was mine.

IMG_2092.jpg

IMG_2129.jpg

Lately I have become fascinated with another "golden era" vehicle. Here is our '44 GPW. We're invading France next June for the 65th anniversary, then making a dash for Remagen and the Rhine.

IMAG0007.jpg

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
*sigh* :p I'm in heaven.

Cars and Horses. Two things that are in my blood. I love old cars, wouldn't give 2 cents for a modern mess. I LOVE practically anything from the golden era, right up to the 70's...I have a 67 vw beetle.

My father is restoring a 36 ford. I love that car, unfortunately he's been working on it for a very long time, but it runs, so thats good:rolleyes: lol.

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
While I have a distaste for cars and have no desire to own one, I do like old cars, especially pre-40s, although I am not very knowledgeable in that area. I like these:

1924_Rolls_Royce_Silver_Ghost_Boat_Tail_Speedster-july12a_jpg.jpg

210708gmc1.jpg

07_g.jpg

1929%20Duesenberg%20Model%20J%20Lebaron%20Convertible.jpg

6973_26126664547c0dff0c11cf.jpg

dus8.jpg

35_Duesnbrg_J_BohS_Mann.jpg

JimInSoCalif

One of the Regulars
I don't think one needs to like cars to appreciate those beautiful designs. Modern cars all look alike and are about as exciting a refrigerator. On the plus side they are about as dependable as a refrigerator.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Perhaps I watched "Day of the Jackel" too many times growing up, but the even through it doesn't come until the second half of the 1950s the Citroen DS is a favorite of mine:

gc06citdschapcab.jpg

Hey its odd looking but both de Gaulle and Brigitte Bardot loved them!

art_photo11170064752.jpg

DS_star8.JPG

Chrome

One of the Regulars
Doub!

Here you can't find a '50s Cadillac for 5k, especially if it's running and registered. I would have been interested of it if I'd knew it then.

Ofcourse importing it here would raise costs, but even then it would be cheaper than buing one from here.

MEDIUMMYND

One of the Regulars
Chasseur said:
Perhaps I watched "Day of the Jackel" too many times growing up, but the even through it doesn't come until the second half of the 1950s the Citroen DS is a favorite of mine:

gc06citdschapcab.jpg

Hey its odd looking but both de Gaulle and Brigitte Bardot loved them!

art_photo11170064752.jpg

DS_star8.JPG
The best best looking car of all time i had a safari (estate) many years ago they were light years ahead of their time,one strange feature was the brake peddle which was not a peddle but a small rubber button on the the floor.The DS 23 also had headlamps that turned with the steering this was apart from the self leveling hydraulic suspension which also ran the braking system i could go on.

Chrome said:
Doub!

Here you can't find a '50s Cadillac for 5k, especially if it's running and registered. I would have been interested of it if I'd knew it then.

Ofcourse importing it here would raise costs, but even then it would be cheaper than buing one from here.

I knew I should have bought it and resold it. ;)
I just don't have room for another Cadillac. :eusa_doh:

kools

Practically Family
My favorite car is definitely early to mid '50s Cadillacs and my own '49 Buick Roadmaster.
Hey Chrome...I can't PM you yet, but I'm diggin' the Buick. You might get a kick out of the recording I made of a tune I wrote called "Roadmaster Boogie". Once you get enough posts to PM, contact me & I'll hook you up.

N2S3

New in Town
DS = Déesse = goddess

@ Chasseur: DS sounds like the french Déesse, what means Goddess. Had many features can't be found in any other car of this period.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
N2s3,

Yes that is the one, the "Godess" as the nickname was. Citroen liked making puns from the model numbers. Very interesting car for its time and quit unique looking.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
JimInSoCalif said:
Modern cars all look alike and are about as exciting a refrigerator. On the plus side they are about as dependable as a refrigerator.

Depends on the refrigerator ;) Mine is an exception to the rule.

The way cars were designed back in those times were merely for looks. The styles of earlier cars were merely coaches with motors... the coach like body lasted into the early 30s and by 1935 it was all streamline and turret tops.

My favorite eras for cars is the 30s and 40s. I love 20s cars, always will but, something about the lines of the cars of 1933-1947 just drive me wild. I like curves, lots of curves and graceful lines... I have a soft spot for 50s to early 60s cars if restored correctly... that's as far as it goes for me.

I want this:

9fb61gp4.jpg

That is one of 3 known motor carts from the 1939 World's Fair New York... you can see one in the first part of this clip from the Fair!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dyQe1sWKPE&feature=related

I also love this one! 1934 Plymouth:

plymouthpe4doorsedan193qe4.jpg

And just for an added bonus, here's a link to one of my favorite clips, the clip is made of many different clips taken from promo movies for Chevy and home movie clips... set to "Swing is in the Air" by Ambrose and his Orchestra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZKXopavQZk&NR=1

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
StraightEight said:
I'm with the majority: the '39 Buick didn't quite get it right. The grille was too small, the evolution from the vertical stack to the horizontal fan incomplete. The result was a grille that just looks too small for the size of the car and the bug-eye lights. A metamorphosis in progress caught by a flashbulb. By '40 the symmetry returned with a larger grille and the lights fully incorporated into the fenders.

Alas, I'm partial to the '38, the year the styling and technical transformation of Buick was complete. Here was mine.

IMG_2092.jpg

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap The '38 looked so much like the '37... I like both quite a bit... I must say, you get my respect by havin' black wall tires on it!!! That makes it look so authentic! 80% of old photos of people's cars I see are with black wall tires. That's what I have on my '46 and I love them now! Once you go black, you don't go back! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner