Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Christmas movies

just_me

Practically Family
In no particular order:

It's a Wonderful Life
Christmas Story
Miracle on 34th Street (the original)
A Christmas Carol (with Alastair Sim)
The Santa Clause
The Bishop's Wife (original)
White Christmas
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Holiday Inn
Babes in Toyland (Laurel and Hardy)

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
ShoreRoadLady said:
Oh, and I've never watched A Christmas Story either!

I've got you both beat.

I've never seen Its a Wonderful Life, or A Christmas Story.

And I've no interest in seeing the latter.

I've seen clips... Was bored straight through.

The constant showings on certain channels gets on my nerves...

Frankly I think the little blond boy main character looks creepy. The picture on the DVDs doesn't help. He looks like a serial killer. Very Christmas-y. NOT!

Oh and though I love the movie, the scene in Meet Me In St. Louis where Tootie, is smiling while getting beat after causing all that trouble gets on my nerves..

It makes me want to take over the spanking! :D

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
dahliaoleander said:
Frankly I think the little blond boy main character looks creepy. The picture on the DVDs doesn't help. He looks like a serial killer. Very Christmas-y. NOT!
:eek:fftopic:
Do serial killers have a particular look?

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
Amazon has about 10 different version of the DVD "A Christmas Story" with New copies going from $10 to $21 and Used $5 to about $20.

Remember it only take minutes to order a copy for that deprived family!
Only you can make their Christmas Story hopes and wishes come true.
Give the gift that keeps on giving.

lol lol

Actually, I'm with dahliaoleander - I wasn't terribly interested in seeing it, after watching a few minutes' worth years ago. In my defense, I think some movies have to be seen as children to continue to appreciate them into adulthood. Case in point: The Wizard of Oz - always heard about it, read the book, finally watched it as an adult...and it fell totally flat. *hides*

ShoreRoadLady said:
Actually, I'm with dahliaoleander - I wasn't terribly interested in seeing it, after watching a few minutes' worth years ago. In my defense, I think some movies have to be seen as children to continue to appreciate them into adulthood. Case in point: The Wizard of Oz - always heard about it, read the book, finally watched it as an adult...and it fell totally flat. *hides*
The Wizard of Oz, your greatest mistake was in reading the book before seeing the film. A constant theme in film review is the simple fact that if you read the book first, few movies will ever be as good as or better than the book. I'd estimate that 90% of the time if you read the book first the movie just doesn't hold up. It changes all of your expectations and how can a film makers vision hold up to what pictures you have formed in your mind?

As to a Christmas Story, I was already an adult when A Christmas Story came out, and it still works because it captures the idea of Christmas that kids have, and while in a specific era it still speaks to the naive nature of children and growing up. For many people it echos things that happened in their childhood and they can easily find themselve on the side of Ralphie, understanding his wants and desires, see their parents in his, their siblings in his, their friends and even enemies. It does not hurt to have some sentimentality about childhood to enjoy this film, if you don't have that it probably won't work for you.

Is it a major film like Ben Hur or the Lord of the Rings, no. It is a simple story about a kid at Christmas, about family and life and what it takes to get thru the day. It's about love and even hate and about growing up.

If you watch it go into it with NO expectations and demands, just watch it as a story about a kid and if you are lucky it will re-awaken the kid in you.

Caroline

One of the Regulars
I'll add these...

Quai des Orfevres
Friday After Next
A Midnight Clear
The MST3000 breakdown of "Mitchell" (also known as "A Very Special Joe Don Baker Christmas" in our house)

Down2BDapper

Familiar Face
On the subject of TV specials, I just saw "Merry Christmas Mr. Bean" on PBS last night. I forgot how funny that was; It brought back a lot of memories.

just_me

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
As to a Christmas Story, I was already an adult when A Christmas Story came out, and it still works because it captures the idea of Christmas that kids have, and while in a specific era it still speaks to the naive nature of children and growing up. For many people it echos things that happened in their childhood and they can easily find themselve on the side of Ralphie, understanding his wants and desires, see their parents in his, their siblings in his, their friends and even enemies. It does not hurt to have some sentimentality about childhood to enjoy this film, if you don't have that it probably won't work for you.
John - You are right on the money about why this film works so well. :eusa_clap

Retro66

New in Town
just_me said:
In no particular order:

It's a Wonderful Life
Christmas Story
Miracle on 34th Street (the original)
A Christmas Carol (with Alastair Sim)
The Santa Clause
The Bishop's Wife (original)
White Christmas
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Holiday Inn
Babes in Toyland (Laurel and Hardy)

Now that is a list i would have made. Great choices...
I will add "The shop around the corner" With Jimmie Stewart..
Also a fantastic hat movie..:)

Randal

Familiar Face
My fav is A Charlie Brown Christmas.

Some "sort-of christmas" favorites are:
Sleepless in Seattle
Die Hard
The Family Man

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member