Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite everyday watch

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
binkmeisterRick said:
It's a toss up between a deco Bulova wrist watch or an antique Illinois or Waltham pocket watch. It depends if I have a watch pocket handy or not!;)
Everytime I carry one of my pocketwatches (Elgin or Waltham) one of their crystals falls off! I think they take quite a beating in my pocket, so I wear them when I have a watch pocket, as you said, and one of suitable size for an 18s, or a pocket in my waistcoat.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have been a fan and user of Seiko for many years. I have one gold self winding with brown band (formal occasions) and one metal quarts with black band (every day). For exercise I have a Timex Ironman 30 lap Triathlon. But my wife has now bought me my engagement present (better late then never) A Omega seamaster professional. Being that it was bought as the male version of a engagement ring I don't think it will be coming off my wrist...ever... Remember equality is a two way street. ;)
Johnny

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
I wear my dad's late-1930's Rolex. Black leather strap. Waaaaaay understated. I hate those diamond-encrusted gold "look at me models" from the 1980s or thereabouts. You'd never know this was a Rolex. Devil to get worked on. Wind it daily. Dad long ago graduated to a battery operated model (not a Rolex) and can't understand why I want to "fool with that damn old watch." Well, Daddy, it's a complicated thing, this vintage thing...:)

Have a couple of great old gold pocket watches for dressier occasions. But, that's not this thread.

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
My new favorite everyday watch

I just got this a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I probably paid too much for it (though not too too much), but I just couldn't help myself. There is something just so utterly pedestrian about this watch that it sucked me in. It doesn't so much scream golden age at me as whisper it gently and seductively in my ear. Anyway:

ee883597.jpg

1927 Elgin 7J

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Lately, Ive been wearing a JLC Reverso for dress and an Omega Speedmaster for play. But it changes.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Reno kid ,that is a great watch! Since I'm always misplacing mine, I have a couple of really cute one's I got at Claire's (mall store)

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I'm one of those watch guys.

I've been interested in them since I was a kid. My parents actually gave me a Timex pocket watch when I was about eight years old because I was hooked on pocket watches:) I still have it and it still runs great.

I have a couple of 1940s-early 50s Bulovas that belonged to my Dad that are neat. Love those old ones. I also have a very nice Hamilton 992 railroad pocket watch made in 1911 that is a beauty and keeps great time- just as you'd expect from a Hamilton RR. The 992 and later 992B were considered among the best and most reliable timepieces of their era. GREAT watches.

My everyday watch is an Omega Seamaster Professional. In fact, I've worn it every day since my wife gave it to me as a wedding gift a few years ago.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Paddy's everyday watch...

I'm currently wearing this old model ORIS, which has a nice art deco feel to it and the sizing is pretty vintage too. It's self winding (something I don't usually go for), but at least it has a nice smooth Swiss movement. I also like the association to the aviation industry of old. It's of the same size as my USAAF A11 hack watch.
oris5di.jpg

Next up is my workhorse of a watch. An old Omega Speedmaster 'Moonwatch.' Just love the simple, classic yet functional styling to it. A real aircrew watch!! I splashed out on a WW2 styled German Luftwaffe strap, and after a few years it looks great with a lovely patina that compliments the watch. Abit batterered now with dings as it's been used out in the field. Sure something like a modern Traser would be better for military use, but then this is much more versatile and has 'style' by the bucketful!! It's timeless guys, home in time for tea and medals!!!

MoonWatchNASASpeedmaster002.jpg

This is my Great Grandfathers' pocket (demi hunter) watch. It's currently with Baron Kurtz's (one of our esteemed members here) father who has a talent for fixing old timers like this!!

pocketwatch004.jpg

Last, but not least, the PANERAI 00111 Italian Navy Commando Diver's watch (based on the famous WWII version of the Decima Flottiglia MAS (X-MAS).
). This is a real 'kick butt' watch, and you need a chunky wrist to go with it!! Panerai was never known outside Italian military circles up until a few years ago, and now they have branched out into the civvie market, with many celebs like Orlando Bloom, Val Kilmer, Bill Clinton, Sylvester Stallone, Arnie, Bruce Willis...all sporting one!! They are very classic in design, understated, with a 1930's military functionality to them (they were designed for the Italian Commando in the 30s).

PaddyPannieWatch.jpg

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
Dr G,
That's a nice G.P.

Paddy,
I really like that Speedmaster with the Luftwaffe strap. Very cool !!
I'm an Omega fan(I'd love to have a WWII broad arrow Brit issue Omega) and the speedy pro is just an absolute classic.

The Panerai is a very neat watch. I love their history- but they're really too big for my wrist. I'm a fairly big guy at 6'2 and 200 pounds, but I have pretty small wrists that would really be swallowed by a Panerai. Plus, to be truthful, I find it hard to justify the expense of a high end watch when I love my seamaster that was a gift from my lovely wife and I enjoy wearing it so much. It's a great watch with a great deal of sentimental attachment.

I also like the rather retro idea of using one nice watch that is either an heirloom or a gift from a loved one for many years. That was quite common in the "old days."

Zach R.

Practically Family
I don't have many vintage watches(other than my '50s Rolex and my el-cheapo Westclox Scotty), but I recently bought a modern Seiko Men's Diver's Automatic Watch (which is SKX007K2).

Its not the best watch in the world, and you can tell its a blatent copy of a more expensive Omega watch, but its the same watch my father had when he was my age back in 1979-1980(one which he lost a few years before I was born), so it has a bit of a sentimental connection.

Magus

Practically Family
Modern fan

I admit to modernism for everyday watch wearing. Casio G-Shock. I've been wearing them for 20+ years. Simply because they are virtually indestructable. I am on my 2nd because I lost the first one while surfing (board leash got wrapped around my arm and caught on the watch hard enough to snap the band.) What made me start with them is a comparison done by David Horawitz on TV. He showed how he dropped it from an airplane, strapped it to a motorcycle front tire and drove down the FWY, drug it behaind a boat...and finall killed it by shooting it with a .22 rifle (it still didn't explode...just had a hole in the face). I've found it to hold up to every abuse I have sent its way.

Other than that my fav is my Victorinox Excursion with a brown band and white face.

M

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I've had this Reverso for over three years and have been trying to decide what to do with the blank side.

Shoes099.jpg

There's engraving, from simple initials to elaborate design.

trapshooter11web.jpg

Or enameling, which can be quite unique as virtually any image, that you can supply, can be reproduced.

JLC_22_L.jpg

I am suffering some serious inertia on this project.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I'll chime in here with a vote for my Vostok Amphibian-dependable,rugged,and very inexpensive.I have a Rolex GMT, but I seldom if ever wear it-the Vostok is completely adequate. When in my Civil War mode, I carry my 1870's keywind American Watch Co.-Waltham pocketwatch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24