Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Golden Era Couples

bulldog1935

Suspended
Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward

paul-newman_joanne-woodward.jpg

7114a.jpg
they were hot in A New Kind of Love, which I also believe is when they met.
Best thing is to see it last like an old kind of love

_Nightwing

One of the Regulars
aau92sxki060kx09.jpg

+1 for Barbara Stanwyck and Robert Taylor. I love this kiss. If she were my girlfriend I'd kiss her neck a lot so she could whisper into my ear with that ridiculous sexy voice of hers.

MissMittens

One Too Many
Best Golden Era movie couple?

I'm wondering who my fellow loungers think were the best movie couple from the golden era?

Personally, I think Myrna Loy and William Powell are hard to beat, but then there's also Fred and Ginger, etc……

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
PC+%2526+SG+1.jpg

Phyllis Calvert & Stewart Granger. I like the interplay between them: she is the innocent girl with a longing to break out from the confines of society, he the lovable rogue that offers her the escape.

They played together a number of times: The Man in Grey, Fanny by Gaslight, The Magic Bow & Madonna of the Seven Moons

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
My vote goes to Myrna Loy and William Powell. There was the Thin Man series plus comedies and dramas. They were magic in everything they did.

Nobert

Practically Family
I'll have to go with a one-movie coupling, William Powell and Carole Lombard in My Man Godfrey. Probably just because I've seen it so many times.

I just don't get the whole Lauren Bacall thing. Last time I saw her and Bogart was in Key Largo, where she seemed to spend more screen time impersonating a mannequin than Kim Catrel, but without the stand-in.

Of course, I was also rooting for Jimmy Stewart in The Philadelphia Story, which shows what I know.

Last edited:

MissMittens

One Too Many
I just don't get the whole Lauren Bacall thing. Last time I saw her and Bogart was in Key Largo, where she seemed to spend more screen time impersonating a mannequin than Kim Catrel, but without the stand-in.

:lol: You know, that's dead on. Her career was built on a slightly-sideways, partially open-mouthed expression. Certainly not her acting skills.

Fibber Mcgee

New in Town
On screen - Nick and Nora ( William Powell and Myrna Loy should have been married for real). As far as actual married couples- George and Gracie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo