Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite liquid eyeliner

JennyLou

Practically Family
I use Loreal's Hip Color True Cream Eyeliner in black. For a long time I always tried using liquid eyeliner or a pencil but I just couldn't get it right. I like the Loreal product because it comes with a brush( although I buy my own brush that is much thinner) and it's been easier for me to use and the color is nice and dark. It stays on pretty well and I like how it doesn't cost much. I always buy it when the drugstore has in on sale for buy one get one free so I usually pay about $5-7 for one.

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
I like L'oreal's Voluminous eyeliner. It's more like a marker than loose liquid but it is so great for drawing on lines (thick or thin) and it stays on for the whooole day. I put it over my eye pencil and it helps it look a bit darker and stay on longer as well. I actually got bored one day at school and drew 50s cat eyes on my dollhead's eyes with it and it's still there, despite having washed her atleast 10 times now!

Lillemor

One Too Many
I can do my left because it works best for me to start with the swirl at the outer corner and work my way in. I for all in the world can't get a hang of how to do my right eye. I don't remember what I used to do.

I've considered giving liquid liner a last shot next time I order from Oriflame (prefer their skin products over their cosmetics though their lipsticks are generally fine) which appears to be like the marker style I used in the early-mid 90s or maybe that little one from MF. The long handle on the one from L'oreal didn't work for me but the liquidlast from MAC and similar types from GOSH were too runny and Biotherm's was too "rubbery" but they all dried to a really nice line though they looked really messy when they were just applied. I still have a Gosh art liner in a lovely shiny green tone that really flatters my skin and eye color.

Shirin

A-List Customer
Girl Friday said:
This is the best stuff I have found, I try everything and I always go back to this stuff: Babe Cakes by Benefit
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P0338&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=5333

Benefit also makes a re really great eyeliner brush:
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P155106&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=5333

Well worth the money as it lasts forever.

Ooooo, I'm going to have to try that babe cakes out.
Does that brush really make a dramatic difference as opposed to a regular liner brush?

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
JennyLou said:
I use Loreal's Hip Color True Cream Eyeliner in black. For a long time I always tried using liquid eyeliner or a pencil but I just couldn't get it right. I like the Loreal product because it comes with a brush( although I buy my own brush that is much thinner) and it's been easier for me to use and the color is nice and dark. It stays on pretty well and I like how it doesn't cost much. I always buy it when the drugstore has in on sale for buy one get one free so I usually pay about $5-7 for one.

I have that! I like the finished result, but I find the brush they provide to be a bit cumbersome. I don't wear full eyeliner much, but when I do, I use the Hip as my base, and then go over it or wing it out with this from Estee Lauder:

04241180602.jpg

Sadly, I don't think they sell it in this pretty bottle anymore.

VintageRed

Familiar Face
It's been mentioned a few times already, but I LUUUUURVE Mac's fluidline.

I also went and had a girl do my eye makeup for me one day at their counter and told her I was having trouble winging it out precisely on both sides. She gave me a few great tips:

1. Apply the line in sections, not one long stroke.
2. Before you use the liquid liner or the fluidline, use your angled brush dipped in a black eyeshadow first. If you make a mistake, it's a lot easier to correct and smudge out. Plus, it gives the liquid liner something extra to hang onto so it stays put.
3. After you're all done and want really thin wings at the tips, use an angled q-tip dipped in eye makeup remover and perfect your edges.

Cheers!

Lillemor

One Too Many
Has anyone tried Smashbox cakeliner? Is it worth the money? How about the angled brush they recommend you buy with it? How difficult is the application and how well does it stay on? I might try the L'oreal HIP.

LipstickPride

New in Town
smashbox cream liner

I use smashbox cream liner sometimes.
Its not so dense as mac's fluid line..tends to smudge :(

I use bobbi browns gel liner 99% of the time.

msrsimpkin

New in Town
I really love Urban Decay's liquid liner. I used to think I prefered the thick, felt-tip-like brushes (like on my old Rimmel one), until I tried the Urban Decay. I'd heard so many people raving on about how good it was, so I thought I'd give it go.

Well, I've been converted. It has a very fine brush which, unlike the felt tips, doesn't split or fray. And it's so flexable, which helps me get a softer, more flowing curve. The staying-power isn't as good as the Rimmel, but as long as I don't mess with my eyes, I'm good to go all day.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
i have tried loads and loads of the expensive ones and my favorite, which gives the neatest, thinnest line ever that lasts (I can fall a sleep and wake up with perfectly lined eyes, but smudged mascara) is Rimmel Professional eyeliner, they have two, but this is the best one! And SO cheap!!

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
darhling, do you mean this one ? do you find it as good as mac's fluidline ? i'm almost trough my fluidline and don't want to spend 15$ on eyeliner again :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
103.jpg

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
glamour-girl said:
darhling, do you mean this one ? do you find it as good as mac's fluidline ? i'm almost trough my fluidline and don't want to spend 15$ on eyeliner again :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
103.jpg

yep thats the one!! I do find it better than the fluidline!! Super thin brush with not stray hairs aswell!

The Shirt

Practically Family
I really love Urban Decay's liquid liner. I used to think I prefered the thick, felt-tip-like brushes (like on my old Rimmel one), until I tried the Urban Decay. I'd heard so many people raving on about how good it was, so I thought I'd give it go.

I cannot for the life of me get the urban decay to stay on my lids. Mine turns weirdly sparkly. I do love the brush, but I have to re-apply every few hours for a jet black line. I must have greasy eyes. heehee.

I'm off to try the rimmel one. I literally went thru the entire ULTA store looking for a felt tip waterproof jet black eyeliner a couple of weeks ago. I should have come here first. :(

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
glamour-girl said:
103.jpg

This is what I use - I have used it every day of my life since I was 16, so that's 12 years, and I have found it to be so perfect in every way that I have never even bothered to try any fancier brands. It doesn't budge, never smudges or flakes, goes on beautifully, is deep black, easy to use, super cheap, etc etc. I use MAC for almost everything else, but for my eyeliner and eyebrow pencil, I use Rimmel and will never change. I live in fear that they will change the formula! :eek:

msrsimpkin

New in Town
Fleur De Guerre said:
I use Rimmel and will never change. I live in fear that they will change the formula! :eek:
Don't you really hate when they do that, too? I used to use Boots' No.7 foundation for many years, and one time I ran out and went to buy a new bottle, I found they'd changed the packaging. But, when I got it home, I realised that the packaging wasn't the only thing they'd changed.

It used to be so perfect for my skin, but now the coverage is terrible, and I find it slides straight off, even when I set it with a good primer, and powder. Unfortunately, many years on, I still haven't found a foundation I'm as happy with.

Sorry, slightly off topic there, but I really do hate it when they change perfectly good products!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran