Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favourite actor V Best actor (or actress!)

byronic

One of the Regulars
I'm just wondering what fellow loungers opinions are: It's generally taken that Laurence Olivier was the finest actor who ever lived- on this side of the pond anyway!-, and I love most of his movies- especially 'Rebecca', but he's not my favourite actor, nor do I think he is the best actor (I'm not an expert, I admit, and I'm not trying to start an argument!), I'm just giving my ill-informed opinion now , but I think the best actor ever was Michael Redgrave, subtle and understated but almost chameleon-like when he adopted a role.
Now this is where it gets complicated-though I think he's the greatest actor, he is not my favourite actor!
IMHO, i would have to give that award to John Mills, who I thought was vastly underrrated. He won an Oscar for 'Ryans Daughter', strange really because he was so heavily made-up that he did not need to act.
I loved his performance in 'Hobsons Choice', an early gem from David Lean, this was a role against type, where he played a poor Lancashire shoe-maker despite being almost completely typecast in 'Stiff-Upper-Lip-Brit-Roles' - like 'Scott of the Antarctic', or as a stuffy officer in 'Ice Cold in Alex', etc.
Anyway, what do other loungers think? In your opinions, who are the most neglected (or underrated actors)?

ukali1066

Practically Family
Hmmm....tricky one...

I think it depends on career choices.... Anthony Hopkins is one hell of an actor....he's done some forgettable films and some downright crap ones....but was he bad in any of them ? I think his role in Remains of the day is one of the most poignant and tragic things I've ever watched performance-wise.

Deniro was the greatest actor of his generation, but I think he peaked in the 1980's and hasn't tested himself since...

A favourite of mine is Paddy Considine, watch the British films Dead man's shoes or A room for Romeo Brass if you haven't seen his range...he's like the vibrant young Deniro of old...

Also Daniel Day Lewis is a master craftsman....a totally genuine performer, brilliant everytime

I'mSuzyParker

Familiar Face
Great thread! It is a matter of popular opinion versus personal taste versus true talent. I think Katherine Hepburn was the greatest actress of the 20th century, despite the fact she always played herself in a roundabout way. Olivier was great, as was Orson Welles and Spencer Tracey. Best method actor of all time (in my opinion) was Brando. He stops being Brando and becomes one with his character without the unnecessary chewing up the scenery. Richard Burton was fantastic. Cary Grant, however, is my favorite actor of all time. Sure, a bit of lightweight compared to the "thespians", but always a pleasant blend of charisma, comedy and sophistication. Today's actors - meh - I like Brad Pitt despite the fact I've never seen any of his movies - actually, I guess I just fancy his looks. : )

cookie

I'll Lock Up
He is a fruitcake at the personal level...but Sean Penn is a great actor. D D-Lewis is awesome as well...di Craprio coming into his own IMHO.

ratpack66

New in Town
Favorite actors

I really have no favorite actor ,but heres a list of some I admire,not in any particular order
1.John Wayne
2.Bogie
3.Brando
4.Cary Grant
5.Jack Lemmon
6.Tony Curtis
7.William Holden
8.Russel Crowe
9.Christian Bale
Thats just a small smidgen I have many more that I admire

carter

I'll Lock Up
Donald Sutherland has been a fine character actor during his prolific career although he has been infrequently nominated for major awards. He is, IMHO, among the best Canadian-born actors of his generation.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
One of my favorite underrated actors is Warren William. He was referred to as "The Poor Man's John Barrymore," likely because of his strong profile, not so much for his acting skills, although I love his movies. Also underrated and terribly comedic are actresses Marion Davies and Marie Dressler. I wonder what these actors, all born in the 1800's, would think about people seeing, and thoroughly enjoying, their performances 70+ years later?

Current actors? Sean Penn is beyond acting - he actually seems to become the character. I never watch him in a movie and think, "Oh, there's Sean Penn acting," I just see the character.

just_me

Practically Family
My favorite actors are James Cagney and Katherine Hepburn. Best actors is tough - Meryl Streep, Dustin Hoffman, Sean Penn, Spencer Tracy, Jack Lemmon, and more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot