Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Federation Deluxe and bash shape

GoneSolo

One of the Regulars
You can always bash it Indy style!

I also have a question about bashing a Fed. How do I take out really tight creases to rebash?

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Steam doesn't hurt the Akubra. I've been doing my bashing lately by just soaking the crown of the hat, shaping it how I want, and letting it dry on its own. I then will use steam to fix little spots here and there.

Feraud

Bartender
I have only used steam one time to bash my Fed Deluxe. That was when I first purchased it. I always mention the best time to adjust the style of your hat is after a good rainstorm! I rarely fool with my hats unless they are seriously out of shape or get soaked.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I just got my new Fed. in the mail today...they hat they sent me was too big!!!:( Tagged as a 58 (which is what it is supposed to be), but is surely a mislabled 59 (my other Akubra 58's fit fine). I don't like foam taping up a hat, SO, as soon as I get return instructions, I'll send it back and get a correct size....

D

dzacca

It is time!

Order submitted! I already received the confirmation email, just hope that italian custom will not hold the hat too long...

aliados

One of the Regulars
Fatdutchman said:
I just got my new Fed. in the mail today...they hat they sent me was too big!!!:( Tagged as a 58 (which is what it is supposed to be), but is surely a mislabled 59 (my other Akubra 58's fit fine). I don't like foam taping up a hat, SO, as soon as I get return instructions, I'll send it back and get a correct size....
I thought my Fed was too big,but I followed the advice someone else here gave. Soak the sweatband, and leave the hat on a 60W light bulb for awhile! Shrunk to fit (although the size lable warped form the heat).

And that great shape Tony gave his is easily accomplished. I bashed mine in the traditional diamond .. Soak the crown (warm water softens it better than cold), put in a center crease, deeper in the back than in the front, then, about 1/3 from the back, with a thumb and forefinger, put a cross-cease. Play with it a bit -- the cross tends to loift the rear crease -- until the rake is appropriate. Let it dry. And don't forget to put in agnetle pinch -- by rubbing slightly, NOT by actually pinching the crown (thatleaves a crease rather than a genle curve)

Charlie

D

dzacca

Arrived today!!!

Ok.. I knew they have a good service but... package received today!!!! Just 5 days and with a weekend... I'm almost shocked :)

The custom made me pay other 39 Euros but released the package in no time!

Obviously the package arrived 2 hours ago when I was leaving to the office... now I'll have to wait until tonight to check that hat and begin the bashing...

RBH

Bartender
dzacca said:
Ok.. I knew they have a good service but... package received today!!!! Just 5 days and with a weekend... I'm almost shocked :)

The custom made me pay other 39 Euros but released the package in no time!

Obviously the package arrived 2 hours ago when I was leaving to the office... now I'll have to wait until tonight to check that hat and begin the bashing...

:eusa_clap Good Luck !:eusa_clap

Feraud

Bartender
Fletch said:
I like the look of the Federation but I don't carry off a wide brim too well. Anybody have theirs narrowed slightly? (I mean slightly. Like 5-6mm.) Whadja think?
It is certainly do-able. The Federations have a diminsional cut where the sides are narrower than the front and back. I do not see why you could not trim a little more if necessary.
Just remember to go easy with the trimming. ;)

D

dzacca

riccardo said:
Hey Diego,
how is the hat????

I hope it's nice... I'll let you know tomorrow. The carrier delivered the package while I was coming to my office... I'll be home at 11pm so until then I'll be unable to check it out :(

D

dzacca

The hat is a bit large... I had to use the foam straps they gave me.
Just finished to bash it, it has been easier than I thought... Tomorrow I hope I can take a few shots during the day so the the awful camera of my mobile phone could give some decent images...
I bashed the hat in a c-crown shape and I didn't pinch it too much in the front.

D

dzacca

Ok, I took a few shots, forgive the bad quality, but it's a mobile phone camera...

Brown Fed DL

P.S. I'm uploading right now... the link will be available in a few minutes...

D

dzacca

RBH said:
Great looking hat!!!!
You did well with the bash.
Thanks for posting.

Thanks RBH. :)
Now I need to work a bit more with the hat size (it's marked 58 but it's a 59 or more... and the one I bought for a friend of mine is marked 59 but it's at least a 60...), I'll use the method suggested here on the lounge and by hatsdirects itself:

Turn the hat upside down and pull the sweat band out so the underneath is exposed. Using your fingers or a spray bottle, wet the inside of the band about half way around.

Apply some heat to the band, we use a commercial steamer, but an alternative is using a light bulb or a hair dryer. Do not try to dry the band - apply heat for 30 seconds or so, then let band dry naturally.

Very important - take these steps gradually - you can do it again if it does not work the first time - it is very hard to undo.

If still too large but better, repeat the operation wetting the entire band and applying a little more heat. Do not apply heat to leather unless it is wet.

If the band drys out a little and you want to make it supple again, apply some leather conditioner to the inside of the band. Repeat a few times over a few weeks. Again do it gradually, you will get a feel for it.

I already tried using an hair dryer and it works well, tomorrow I'll repeat the procedure and then it should fit well.

riccardo

Practically Family
Good hat Diego.
You have really done a good work with the bash.
Akubra are always more large than the expectatives but in a while the hat will shrink into your fit.
I advice you to put a few of foam under the sweat, in a few weeks the hat will fit you perfectly.
Your comments about the felt?
I'm waiting for my Fed (standard:imperial quality :( ) gray is not available in DL version.

Many wishes, and how our friends say here on the lounge : I hope you wear your hat in health and lucky. (ah diego...più o meno è così, non ricordo di preciso!!) ( ah Diego...so so...I don't remember exactly!!)

Riccardo.

D

dzacca

riccardo said:
Good hat Diego.
You have really done a good work with the bash.

Thank you very much :)

riccardo said:
Akubra are always more large than the expectatives but in a while the hat will shrink into your fit.
I advice you to put a few of foam under the sweat, in a few weeks the hat will fit you perfectly.

Actually I had to remove part of the foam, after the sweatband dryed up the hat shrinked and only half of the foam is necessary.

riccardo said:
Your comments about the felt?

The felt seems very good, and very resistent to water, when I bashed the hat I tried to wet it a bit and it was almost impossible to have a few water to wet the felt :)
The hat is stiffer than my other hats but it feels very good when I'm wearing it. The brown tone is wonderful, exactly the brown I was looking for.

riccardo said:
I'm waiting for my Fed (standard:imperial quality :( ) gray is not available in DL version.

Yes, sorry, I know hatsdirect only has brown DL and a few black (not currently visible on their web site). BTW I read a lot of enthusiastic comment about the standard Fed.

riccardo said:
Many wishes, and how our friends say here on the lounge : I hope you wear your hat in health and lucky. (ah diego...pi?? o meno ?® cos?¨, non ricordo di preciso!!) ( ah Diego...so so...I don't remember exactly!!)

Again, thank you Riccardo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats