Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Federation Deluxe and bash shape

D

dzacca

Well... I should order my new Fed DL within the next 2 weeks, or at least I hope so...

I'm open to any suggestion for the shape to give to this new hat. Anyone here could post pictures of his own or any other suggestion?

Feraud

Bartender
The Fed Deluxe is a nice hat. I have one and it gets better with use. Pick a style you like and copy it.
Here are some pictures for inspiration. They are not Federations but you can see different bashes to choose from.
Picture5674.jpg
Picture5673.jpg

Picture5612.jpg
Picture5590.jpg

Picture5584.jpg
stetson-1.jpg

Picture5443.jpg

MURDER_MY_SWEET-17.jpg

THE_NATURAL_SPECIAL_EDITION-102.jpg

KISS_OF_DEATH_1947-22-1.jpg

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you can get some old movies on DVD or tape, watch them for inspiration. When I got my Federation Deluxe, I played around with the "bash" over a period of several evenings while watching TV. I used some cold water to help the hat keep its shape.

My general advice is to take your time, and don't be afraid to experiment.

D

dzacca

moustache said:
I love those first two brown models.
Brown goes with everything!!

JD

JD, I totally agree with you. :)

I already own a gray fedora, I chose the color because it's quite neutral. Now I'm going to buy a brown Fed DL for 2 reason:

1. Quality
2. Wonderful brown color

It go with everything and I like reddish brown tone of the DL more the the greenish of the standard.

D

dzacca

Thank you all

Many thanks to Feraud for that shots, I expecially like the first brown hat bash.

Tony, I'm going to follow your suggestion, I think I'll watch a lot of movies in the next 2 weeks :D

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
The Federation is a LARGE hat with a tall crown. It was intended as an "Indy" hat. Though I have never been too fond of the "C" crown shape, I would suspect that the Federation would lend itself quite well to it...especially for the cool tall "Howard Hughes" type of hat!

Tony in Tarzana

Fatdutchman said:
The Federation is a LARGE hat with a tall crown. It was intended as an "Indy" hat. Though I have never been too fond of the "C" crown shape, I would suspect that the Federation would lend itself quite well to it...especially for the cool tall "Howard Hughes" type of hat!

That's how I did mine, and it looks great, if I do say so myself.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Ol' Howard was a lunatic, but by golly, he sure had good taste in hats!!! :D

Hey, Tony, does this bash actually push the front and back out a bit so you have a "reverse taper" on the front and back? It kinda looks like yours does this, which is super cool. I think I MIGHT take my gray Fed and reshape it this way...

Tony in Tarzana

Fatdutchman said:
Ol' Howard was a lunatic, but by golly, he sure had good taste in hats!!! :D

Hey, Tony, does this bash actually push the front and back out a bit so you have a "reverse taper" on the front and back? It kinda looks like yours does this, which is super cool. I think I MIGHT take my gray Fed and reshape it this way...

Indeed it does! Not a flattering pic, but here goes:

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Tony, how'd you do that? I just redid my gray fed a while ago to this style and I LIKE it. I think it suits me. I couldn't get the back to slant back like yours does, though MAN, I wish I could!!!! I DO have a good bit of "reverse taper" on the sides, though, which is super awesome. (Taper? HAH, I laugh in the face of taper!!!) I would REALLY like to get this front and back, too...even just a little would be fantastic.

I'll get some photos tomorrow to put up here.

D

dzacca

RBH said:
Dzacca, you should have no trouble finding a style to go with.lol lol lol

I hope so! :) There are so many shots and ideas in this post... I'll have to bash and rebash my hat a lot of times!!! lol

RBH said:
So many hats so little time....

So many hats so little money... :-\

deanglen

dzacca said:
So many hats so little money... :-\

I hear ya! Looking at Tony's hat makes me think that enough steam and patience and anything is possible. His profile shot is awesome...he is a wonderfully humble man, and owner of some fine hats.

dean

D

dzacca

deanglen said:
I hear ya! Looking at Tony's hat makes me think that enough steam and patience and anything is possible. His profile shot is awesome...he is a wonderfully humble man, and owner of some fine hats.

dean

Yes, Tony's hat has a great shape!

About the steam... I found conflicting opinion for the Fed DL, someone says to use steam, someone else blame the use of steam and suggest a bit of cold water, but only if really necessary... It's quite confusing...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925