Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora Glossary

Jazzcat

New in Town
Can anyone help me with the following terms?
Taper, I know it's bad, but what is it?
Pre Blocking
C Block
and what is a welted edge?
Is there a link to hatting terms?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Hat refference

1. Starting with the C block.
28.jpg

There is some debtae over the C-block versus teardrop crease. If someone has more pics, please show the difference.

2. Taper reffers to how much the hat cones in from the base. It could be reffering to the front view or the side view. I myself am concerned with the side view.

Taper
rightC-vi.jpg

No taper
Optimoprofile-vi.jpg

3. Weleted edge in the case of hats reffers to a felt edge that has been folded back on itself.
This can be done over or under. It can be stitched or in some cases the felt is reworked onto itself creating what is known as a "self felted", "Mode" or "Cavanagh" edge.
This hat has a "self felted" overwelt. No stitches were used.
Newbatch359-vi.jpg

4. Is there a link? I'm supposed to build a page with refference materials in regards to hatting terms and such for the lounge, It's high time I got to work!

5. Pre-blocking is something that Graham Thompson at Optimo hats says is a technique hatters used to use about 50 years ago. The body is placed in the pre-block machine using extra hot steam that is supposed to relax the felt and slow it's shrinking tendency. In all modern hats I have seen the felt that tends to shrink after some wear. The vintage hats I have, have felt with properties that are different. The hats I have from the 1930's or 1940's that began without a taper have so far not shrunk like modern hats.

Pre-bloking is said to be a step toward preventing the shrinking. Since it has just been reintroduced into hatting the results of whether it works or not are still yet to be seen.
Joseph C. Brandstetter

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
I have been wondering about this.....was also thinking maybe one of the experts could put together a basic glossary of blocks and styles for those of us less educated.......

MKL

A-List Customer
Teardrop and C-crown

Art Fawcett said:
Gentlemen,
I looked back through the archives but can't find the original post so here is the "blocks" page for my website. It won't answer all of your questions but might help determine the blocks.
VS hat blocks

Hi Art,

What is the difference between the C-crown and the teardrop? Is the teardrop just a bit narrower on the top?

Thanks.

Mark

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
MKL,

if you look closely at the "C" you can see distinct points at the sides where is goes to semi circular. The teardrop is a smoother transition and "flows" to the semi circular rear. Geeze, not sure that made sense.

MKL

A-List Customer
Thanks.

Art Fawcett said:
MKL,

if you look closely at the "C" you can see distinct points at the sides where is goes to semi circular. The teardrop is a smoother transition and "flows" to the semi circular rear. Geeze, not sure that made sense.

Yes, got it. Thanks Art.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW