Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Fedora Hats Are Rarely Sexy"

Status
Not open for further replies.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
megagene said:
Meh...Everyone has their own opinion of what's "sexy" and what isn't so I don't even take articles like that seriously. Sexy is such an individual thing. I'm sure there have been a number of articles along the lines of "men with long hair are not sexy", or "women without makeup are not attractive"...That's only one side of the coin. You could easily find just as many people who feel the opposite is true. The truth of the matter is that confidence is sexy and that sexiness cannot be forced or it won't work. If you're comfortable in your own skin and don't give a flying **** what other people think of you, I think you'll find yourself far more attractive to the opposite (or same) sex and it really won't matter if you're wearing a fedora or ball cap, or hell even a big red Santa Claus hat. You need to own what you wear and that will make all the difference.

Well, if she is talking about the modern sixties looking but in odd fabrics hats many celebs are wearing, I agree. Don't like the hats much, they tend to be worn more out of irony than real style, and they tend to not know how to position them right on their heads.

But a good hat on a guy who wears it well may not always be sexy, but it loos good and certainly isn't unsexy.

Course then there is Johnny Depp.

As a Latino, I like to think I look sexy in it, but will settle for handsome. But as for you Megagene, I would have to vote sexy in the Johhny Depp sort of way.

Years ago, I used to have a cheapo fecora that I wore with my long hair. I think it was kind of sexy.

Edward

Bartender
Meh, mild tut of contempt and vocalisation of - as the young people say nowadays - whatever. She's as entitled to her opinion as the rest of us, but frankly given the examples of men she finds sexy, I find her tast in general highly questionable (especiall in relation to Colin Farrell, who I'd give my eye teeth to discover wasn't really Irish at all, but faking the accent. He's a disgrace to the Island...).

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Judging by her examples, Ms. Snow clearly does not know what a Fedora hat is. In her opinions, she closely resembles the UK female fashion writer who recently stated that people over 40 should not wear jeans.

Alan

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
So I did it. I got rid of my hats.

I didn't want to place the onus of non sexy on the rest of the loungers by placing my hats on Ebay so I simply placed them in the dumpster down my street... all 70.

Knowing that my hair alone is better than wearing a fedora is a comfort.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I do so love how we here, repeatedly criticise others who don't share 'our rules' for dressing.....

But the second someone even hints they don't like something we like...it merits a 3 page ruckus of how bad she is....what else she does for a living...etc.

Its the standard US= good them= BAD that gets me.

Opinions and style are like..well you know...everyone has them...

But everyone thankfully does not have the -same- style...lest it be a boring as hell place.

And yes..that means I feel that if every man wore a fedora and suit daily...and every woman wore a 40's dress daily...it would be a -boring- universe....

Live and let live.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fedoras not sexy? Never heard anyone here seeking to be sexy by wearing a fedora. With that blogger, I believe in "live and take leave". Ruckus continues.

dean

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some girls don't like boys like me, but some girls do

You country music lovers out there will appreciate this one. "Some girls don't like boys like me, but some girls do".

Story time: Once upon a time a very attractive man (me) met a very attractive woman (lady X). I pursued her until eventually she agreed to go out with me. We went out for a few weeks as happy as can be. Everything was going well until one fateful day. She told me my hats made me look stupid and she would not be seen in public with me again unless I stopped wearing them. We broke up and I lived happily ever after. The end.

Johnny

duggap

Banned
OK, my 2 cents worth. Let the young lady have her opinion, but where she missed the boat is assuming we are wearing them to be sexy. I was never a looker to begin with but after my bout with cancer and the treatments I went through my looks have gone in the garbage. But I can actually say that a nice fedora makes me look better, but not sexy. (Hey I am used to it, my mother use to pack my lunch in a road map). :rolleyes:

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Blackjack said:
and um, exactally where would that dumpster be located Matt????;)

lol My thoughts exactly!!!

Well, this whole thing has been amusing, from the blog to some of the reactions to it. A couple of points that she seems to miss, though are that a. sexy, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder (isn't there a C/W song that says "she thinks my tractor's sexy"?) and b. in general, guys simply do not put together an outfit based on whether or not it is "sexy." Those that do care enough about how they look tend to want to look "good" or "sharp" and don't consider "sexy." Unless, of course, that's part of their job as a model or actor and then they usually have professionals helping with that sort of thing. It's a guy thing... she wouldn't understand. :p

Of course, like her blog, that's just one opinion. lol

Cheers,
Tom

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Matt Deckard said:
So I did it. I got rid of my hats.

I didn't want to place the onus of non sexy on the rest of the loungers by placing my hats on Ebay so I simply placed them in the dumpster down my street... all 70.

Knowing that my hair alone is better than wearing a fedora is a comfort.

You're putting all those cold bums on the street at risk for a serious fashion fo pas, it seems. How inconsiderate of you.

MattJH

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
But the second someone even hints they don't like something we like...it merits a 3 page ruckus of how bad she is....what else she does for a living...etc.

Absolutely. Some people even made assumptions on a personal level, which was especially unwarranted. Reading this thread makes me legitimately wonder if anybody here is familiar with what an opinion / editorial is, and I'm not exaggerating. She doesn't have to take anything into account, be it what the definition of "sexy" is, whether or not it's in the eye of the beholder, whether or not anyone here cares, what the fedoras are made of, who is wearing the fedora, and so on. She thinks they do not look good.

Unpopular opinion: I don't think that leather is a complimentary material for clothing, including hats. Leather is good for belts, shoes, wallets, and other accessories, but I've never looked at a leather jacket or vest or pants or hat or other garment and thought that it looked good under any circumstances. I feel the same way about cowboy hats. It doesn't matter whether you like leather clothing or you like cowboy hats just like it doesn't matter that I don't. It doesn't matter what reasons you have that you feel would sway my opinion, either. The practicality of leather as a material for clothing, the historical significance of cowboy hats and the lifestyle they were made for... it doesn't matter, I just don't like either of them and that's the way it is and I'm not wrong for it and you're not wrong for disagreeing.

I have a collection of ballcaps that I wear regularly because I like the way that they look and I find them to be comfortable, and I definitely do not care if any of you approve or disapprove, nor should I, and nor should you. I'm not saying any of this to fan flames at all, please don't misunderstand. Some of you just need to be okay with people not liking what you like.

It's really, really, really, really, really not a big deal.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Dumbjaw said:
Absolutely. Some people even made assumptions on a personal level, which was especially unwarranted. Reading this thread makes me legitimately wonder if anybody here is familiar with what an opinion / editorial is, and I'm not exaggerating. She doesn't have to take anything into account, be it what the definition of "sexy" is, whether or not it's in the eye of the beholder, whether or not anyone here cares, what the fedoras are made of, who is wearing the fedora, and so on. She thinks they do not look good.

Unpopular opinion: I don't think that leather is a complimentary material for clothing, including hats. Leather is good for belts, shoes, wallets, and other accessories, but I've never looked at a leather jacket or vest or pants or hat or other garment and thought that it looked good under any circumstances. I feel the same way about cowboy hats. It doesn't matter whether you like leather clothing or you like cowboy hats just like it doesn't matter that I don't. It doesn't matter what reasons you have that you feel would sway my opinion, either. The practicality of leather as a material for clothing, the historical significance of cowboy hats and the lifestyle they were made for... it doesn't matter, I just don't like either of them and that's the way it is and I'm not wrong for it and you're not wrong for disagreeing.

I have a collection of ballcaps that I wear regularly because I like the way that they look and I find them to be comfortable, and I definitely do not care if any of you approve or disapprove, nor should I, and nor should you. I'm not saying any of this to fan flames at all, please don't misunderstand. Some of you just need to be okay with people not liking what you like.

It's really, really, really, really, really not a big deal.

Really? Why three paragraphs before coming to that conclusion?

I don't mind her having an opinion and expressing it. It's her smarmy smack-downs of anyone who seems to disagree with her that begs a retort (and one she'll quickly delete)!

Red McCutcheon

New in Town
d

Well, since I started sportin' a fedora a few months ago I've received more come-hither looks from the honeys than I did in the previous six months. Enough so that the missus is starting to get nervous!

lol

PS--First post, incidentally. This is a great forum and I'm looking forward to getting to know y'all.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
I fail to see the big deal here.

Someone's opinion is that a particular styler of hat doesn't look 'sexy' on most men (and,as she specifies in the comments later, women). So what?

How many of the men here are aiming for 'sexy' anyway? I know I'm not, and I doubt that there are very many male members of the Lounge who are. It's horses for courses - what one social grouping finds attractive will leave another cold. To be completely honest, I actually agree with Ms Snow: I don't find men in fedoras sexy either. Can they look sharp? Yes. Smart? Yes. But only as long as the hat suits both outfit and wearer. 'Sexy'? Sorry chaps, you're out of luck.

Certain women in fedoras, however... But even then the outfit's got to work as a whole.

The reactions in this thread actually bring me to another question entirely: are we so insecure about the way we dress that we feel the need to attack anyone who doesn't happen to like it, and dares to voice that opinion publicly? The hat-wearers singled out in the article prove her points. Of course she's chosen those examples for that very reason, but they're the same type of examples that we ourselves use when talking about getting 'it' wrong.

Tastes differ. I don't want a cookie-cutter world of any stripe, and think we'd all be poorer for it. Ms Snow is entirely entitled to her opinion, and so are we.

Isabella Snow (in comments) said:
I didn't say hat wearing was bad - there are a lot of sexy hat styles, this just isn't one of them. I also said Fedoras can be sexy sometimes, and have even included 2 examples. I also said they can look cool - but that does not mean they look sexy.

A Fedora might make some of you look better, but that doesnt mean it makes you look sexy, and it surely doesn't make you a man. That's just about the silliest allusion ever made.
I have to agree with the lady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner