Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Fedora Hats Are Rarely Sexy"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattJH

One Too Many
luvthatlulu said:
Really? Why three paragraphs before coming to that conclusion?

I came to that conclusion in my first response in this thread, but I feel that some of the reactions here that the article elicited were ridiculous enough to warrant elaboration on what I was trying to say.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
I'm sorry.

Dumbjaw said:
I came to that conclusion in my first response in this thread, but I feel that some of the reactions here that the article elicited were ridiculous enough to warrant elaboration on what I was trying to say.

It's actually three separate postings and the aforementioned paragraphs for you. The rest of us should "just move along...nothing really to see here", right?

The FL is a chat room. Let people talk. No requirement for anyone to agree on anything. :cheers1:

MattJH

One Too Many
It's not a move on sort of thing, I'm just surprised at what happened.

Either way, fair enough! And your emoticon just made me thirsty for some Mad Elf.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
luvthatlulu said:
The FL is a chat room. Let people talk. No requirement for anyone to agree on anything. :cheers1:

Pedant alert:

The FL is a message board, not a chat room.

The difference being that generally chat rooms are synchronous and message boards are asynchronous.

Now back to your regularly scheduled griping.:D

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Well, I gave up trying to impress or look sexy for someone years ago. So, long story short, no way I'm giving up the hat. I wear it because I'm unique, I personally think I look good in it, and its part of who I am. That's the only excuse I need.

Starius

Practically Family
I agree with Doc.

I mean, the article certainly didn't bother me at all. I think people look good in hats. Would I use the word "sexy?" I don't know. Maybe only if I had an actual hat fetish. But I know I don't wear hats because I want to "look sexy." I wear them because I like their style and I like how I feel wearing them.

In truth, if wearing a hat does make me feel more confident, it probably does make me look more sexy to some discerning eyes. But that would be a side effect of wearing the hat at any rate.

While I may not share a lot of the same views as Ms Snow, I realize a lot of people probably do. I am fully aware that there are a lot of people who don't share the same views of me. That's of little concern to me these days. Finding others who do share some of the same opinions as me, now thats something to write home about (or blog, whatever the case may be).

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Miss Neecerie said:
Pedant alert:

The FL is a message board, not a chat room.

The difference being that generally chat rooms are synchronous and message boards are asynchronous.

Now back to your regularly scheduled griping.:D

I love this place! WHATEVER! :)

CdnDandy

Familiar Face
CAUTION: Attempted Satire

Gawd, can we please put the bloggers back in the 90’s where they belong? The odds are very much against you reading anything important in one of these. They come in a ton of topics, and maybe 2 are good – and I’m not telling you which, cos I don’t want to encourage you to run out and read one!

The truth is, 99% of all people sound ridiculous in these. And I do mean ridiculous. We’re talking the equivalent intelligence of maybe Ed Norton from The Honeymooners. Sorry, I’m not trying to be mean, or anything, they just usually don’t read as well as newsprinted black and whitey.

They sometimes make interesting reading, but only those who really pull off the well-informed writer look, or old school reporter. And the writers these blogs look best by – people with real opinions on real topics of interest – don’t always pull it off, either.

Honestly, I know a lot of writers equate these blogs with importance and fame. Sometimes they help in that regard - but usually not. If you do read one of these, look at several sites and never, ever go to them for advice.

xxCDNDandy ;)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
CdnDandy said:
The truth is, 99% of all people sound ridiculous in these. And I do mean ridiculous.

Honestly, I know a lot of writers equate these blogs with importance and fame. Sometimes they help in that regard - but usually not. If you do read one of these, look at several sites and never, ever go to them for advice.

xxCDNDandy ;)

Ridiculous to you...is not ridiculous for everyone.

Indeed...much like one should not come to a message board and take everything lock stock and barrel as 'truth' or 'right'.... ;)

CdnDandy

Familiar Face
Miss Neecerie said:
Ridiculous to you...is not ridiculous for everyone.
Indeed...much like one should not come to a message board and take everything lock stock and barrel as 'truth' or 'right'.... ;)

Oh, I know, I know! I was merely attempting a funny here. I myself blog in my spare time, but rarely do my comments attract as much attention.

kokopelli

One of the Regulars
Oh dear

You really don't like cowboy hats?:eek: Now that did it;) Ron

Dumbjaw said:
Absolutely. Some people even made assumptions on a personal level, which was especially unwarranted. Reading this thread makes me legitimately wonder if anybody here is familiar with what an opinion / editorial is, and I'm not exaggerating. She doesn't have to take anything into account, be it what the definition of "sexy" is, whether or not it's in the eye of the beholder, whether or not anyone here cares, what the fedoras are made of, who is wearing the fedora, and so on. She thinks they do not look good.

Unpopular opinion: I don't think that leather is a complimentary material for clothing, including hats. Leather is good for belts, shoes, wallets, and other accessories, but I've never looked at a leather jacket or vest or pants or hat or other garment and thought that it looked good under any circumstances. I feel the same way about cowboy hats. It doesn't matter whether you like leather clothing or you like cowboy hats just like it doesn't matter that I don't. It doesn't matter what reasons you have that you feel would sway my opinion, either. The practicality of leather as a material for clothing, the historical significance of cowboy hats and the lifestyle they were made for... it doesn't matter, I just don't like either of them and that's the way it is and I'm not wrong for it and you're not wrong for disagreeing.

I have a collection of ballcaps that I wear regularly because I like the way that they look and I find them to be comfortable, and I definitely do not care if any of you approve or disapprove, nor should I, and nor should you. I'm not saying any of this to fan flames at all, please don't misunderstand. Some of you just need to be okay with people not liking what you like.

It's really, really, really, really, really not a big deal.

I accept the fact that most people do not think hats are sexy (at least every woman i've talked to). Just like every woman i've spoken to doesn't think high waisted trousers are sexy.

These things we wear are old men's clothes. they are styles from the past. They are archaisms. No more than memes to the majority of the population. No point getting annoyed whe someone suggests this.

bk

And yes, Feraud, blogs are generally garbage. Maybe 0.5% of the bloggers i've read have something interesting to say. The rest are the pointless, unintelligible ramblings self-obsessed people; too wrapped up in narcissistic verbal onanism to see how unimportant they really are.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
I accept the fact that most people do not think hats are sexy (at least every woman i've talked to). Just like every woman i've spoken to doesn't think high waisted trousers are sexy.

These things we wear are old men's clothes. they are styles from the past. They are archaisms. No more than memes to the majority of the population. No point getting annoyed whe someone suggests this.

So true! lol This whole thread is a little confusing to me too. of course hats are not sexy, sheesh.

Baron Kurtz And yes said:
I do want to add that not all people with a blog are "bloggers". I have a blog as an extension of my portfolio site and I greatly enjoy visiting professional friends and colleagues blogs to see what they are up to.

kokopelli

One of the Regulars
Don't hold back, ha ha

Now don't hold back, just go ahead and say it;) ;) Ron

Baron Kurtz said:

bk

And yes, Feraud, blogs are generally garbage. Maybe 0.5% of the bloggers i've read have something interesting to say. The rest are the pointless, unintelligible ramblings self-obsessed people; too wrapped up in narcissistic verbal onanism to see how unimportant they really are.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Baron Kurtz said:
Maybe 0.5% of the bloggers i've read have something interesting to say. The rest are the pointless, unintelligible ramblings self-obsessed people; too wrapped up in narcissistic verbal onanism to see how unimportant they really are.

"Gawd"!!!! :p

It's getting harder to type...all these papercuts from looking up new words in the dictionary!!! :eek:

Spellflower

Practically Family
I think it's important to note that this blog is mainly a critique of the fashion sense of celebrities who are known for being sexy. Presumably, the celebs she uses as examples are trying to keep their images as sexy men, and she is merely pointing out that their hat choices are not helping. And she's right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925