Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora Lounge Edition {Everything Australian } Akubra Camp Draft 2 5/8s brim

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
Here are the head shots I promised along with a couple of pictures of a new display I've just acquired.

I'm still wearing my new Camp Draft with the dry bash.

The Fez on the left is mine and the one on the right was my Grandfather's.

CampDraft3_zpsd2a39d90.jpg
CampDraft2_zps9649ee85.jpg
CampDraft1_zpsbdc01792.jpg

FedoraDisplay_zpsbf73c446.jpg
FezDisplay_zps429b7e04.jpg

The bookshelf is from Home Depot (where I work) and is very good quality. You can order it online if your HD does not carry it. I like the open look for displaying the fedoras instead of a closed sided bookshelf. My two Camp Drafts are on the shelf below the fez'.

Another thing I did was to order the display stands from "Hats In The Belfry." These are the cheapest ones I found ($6.00) and even my huge 7 5/8 hats fit them well. They keep the brim of the hats about an inch and a half off of the shelf. I ordered four to try and just put in an order for four more.

Last edited:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sort of a re-post from the WHAYWT thread, but as fast as that thread moves, what the hey.

Taken in Athens this past weekend, the TFL Campdraft in a telescope. Mine turned out to be pretty stiff, moreso than any CD I've had yet, and I just could not find a crease I liked until I went with the telescope. Love the hat, though, and I'm confident it will soften up with some use. The shorter brim is wonderful!

Please pardon the strained "staring-into-sun" expression lol.

8461897439_5fced15c38.jpg

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
Sort of a re-post from the WHAYWT thread, but as fast as that thread moves, what the hey.

Taken in Athens this past weekend, the TFL Campdraft in a telescope. Mine turned out to be pretty stiff, moreso than any CD I've had yet, and I just could not find a crease I liked until I went with the telescope. Love the hat, though, and I'm confident it will soften up with some use. The shorter brim is wonderful!

Please pardon the strained "staring-into-sun" expression lol.

8461897439_5fced15c38.jpg

I like it!

DesertDan

One Too Many
Me too, that is a very good look for you sir!
I have never tried a telescope bash, might just give it a whirl myself.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you, Terry and Dan. :) With my shaping skills I won't be able to domuch with this hat until it loosens up with wear, but for now I'm loving the simple style of a good, short open crown or telescope. I've tried this with my other CDs, but it works a lot better for me here with the somewhat smaller brim.

Last edited:

MaricopaKid

New in Town
What a great day! Limas, ham hocks, and corn bread will be ready in a little over an hour, AND...I sit here playing with my new Camp Draft. I am pleasantly surprised. The color blows me away!
Several things I noticed with my first Akubra:
The sizing is no larger than I have received with Stetson, Biltmore, or Resistols I have owned.
It seems to hold a dry crease (tear drop) very well. Since I bought this as more of a "foul weather" hat, should I set the crease (bash) with distilled water?
I really enjoyed everyone's contribution to this thread, and a special thanks to Duper for his tying it up into a nice package!

samlark

New in Town
Well, here's a hastily taken headshot of my Campdraft (just joining the fun!). It reminds me that I need to get to the barber for a haircut.
Hat.jpg

-- Sammy

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
My Akubra Camp Draft arrived at the business on Monday. I was extremely busy and did not get to open the box until Tuesday. I opened the box with high expectations and was rewarded with the first look at my FL Camp Draft. This is my first Akubra hat. I am very pleased. What the box contained was a first rate hat. Well made with solid, quality materials. I see this color as working well for me.

IMG_4355-M.jpg

The smaller brim is a benefit for me. As my moniker indocates, I am a short balding guy and it is important to me not to get a behemoth brimmed hat. When I look into the mirror when wearing an enormous brim it conjures up the mental image of a child wearing Dad's hat. I am finding, after only one day of wearing this brim to my favor. Akubra did not alter the dimensions of the hat in a smaller hat size. The open crown size is not altered at all. I am very appreciative as I do enjoy the taller crown height. The straight sides of the crown, no taper and smaller rounded edge of the smaller corwn is of my favorites.

The ribbon work on my hat is done well. The stitches are well executed and not visible without close inspection. I am a fan of the wind cord as I live on a lake and the wind has taken a few of my hats swimming.

In a future post I will comment to the felt. Out of the box, my first impressions, are of a rabbit hat body that is moderately stiff. After only 1 day of wearing the felt, I percieve, has softened. I need more wearing time to get a better read. I have both a vintage Stetson Stratoliner and a VS hat in similar colors and general body shape. I will have to think and consider the differences and strengths of each hat.

IMG_4359-M.jpg

More reflections to come. Thanks to those involved in the creative and practical execution of making this hat arrive at my door. I will wear this hat a bunch.

Best, Eric -

DesertDan

One Too Many
Excellent review Eric.
I too was thrilled about the wind cord as none of my other hats have one and I didn't realize that this hat did.

I notice that the proportions of this hat are very close to my Knox Westlite though the CD is thicker and (for now at least) a stiffer felt.

I also appreciated the personalized note I recieved with it, that was a nice touch.

redhawks2

One of the Regulars
I just ordered a BG 57 and am looking forward to it. I would really, really, really like to have this same hat/brim width in a gray like Moonstone or Glen Gray. Trying to find an Open Road or clone in a real gray, not silverbelly, is virtually impossible. Is there any interest in a gray color?? I am very glad to be getting this BG in a 2-5/8 brim as the 2-7/8 is a bit much on me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points