Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora Lounge Edition {Everything Australian } Akubra Camp Draft 2 5/8s brim

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hatsdirect.com carries a regular brim width heritage version of the campdraft in moonstone. There is a lot of interest here in a moonstone imperial campdraft but this was shot down due to the already existing heritage version available at hatsdirect (Akubra seems to have allowed them to have exclusive rights to sell a moonstone campdraft). If you're ok with the higher price and the normal brim width then hatsdirect.com is a good option.

edit: I just noticed they also have a glen gray version of the imperial camp draft so if that color works for you then they do have that at the lower imperial price point. The brim width would still be the standard and not the smaller brim width listed in this topic.

Last edited:

RBH

Bartender
I just ordered a BG 57 and am looking forward to it. I would really, really, really like to have this same hat/brim width in a gray like Moonstone or Glen Gray. Trying to find an Open Road or clone in a real gray, not silverbelly, is virtually impossible. Is there any interest in a gray color?? I am very glad to be getting this BG in a 2-5/8 brim as the 2-7/8 is a bit much on me.

If I am correct ...the BG Campdrafts on the website have the normal brim width. The only ones with the shorter brim are the ones we [from the Lounge] ordered.

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
Well, unpacked this bad boy! I really like the color and overall dimensions of this hat. Nice felt, though a bit stiffer than most of my vintage hats. I do hope this puppy shrinks up about a half size or I am going to have to grow a wider set of ears!:eusa_doh: Put a little bit of padding under the sweat, and it is better. Takes a dry bash very well, but I have not settled on what I want. So far, my wife likes the "open road" bash best.:eeek: Who knows - it's all part of the adventure. Great hat!

Update: I finally settled on the center crease with moderate front pinch. I like it. When I received the hat, it was a size large for me, but since I use the wet method of shaping a hat, I found that it shrank up for a perfect fit! Thanks, Duper for the sizing recommendation - worked out perfectly.:) I really am enjoying this hat, and find that I reach for it every time I go out the door. The felt is getting softer and more moldable the more it is worn. Great color, sweet hat!

TPD166

One Too Many
I am coming late to the party - my CD did not arrive in TX until I went back on active-duty, but if finally caught up today. Perfect fit, and gave it a quick teardrop bash. Mine seems to have a taller crown that my previous CD - about the same as the early '50s Open Road I brought with me. Very happy with my new Camp Draft.

MCrider

A-List Customer
I already posted this photo in the "Surviving the Elements" thread, but obviously it needs to be in the thread that spawned the hat. So I present the first documented picture of the Fedora Lounge Special Camp Draft, fresh from a raging rainstorm. As anyone who owns an Akubra knows, it came through with flying colors. I expect this hat will experience and survive many more weather events!

S5031685_zps2c3b065c.jpg

MCrider

A-List Customer
Am I the only one that wears his BG Camp Draft? LOL Well here's another shot of it after being in a rain storm.

C'mon let's see some photo's of those BG Camp Drafts in action!

Duper

Practically Family
I have been wearing mine most days for the last few weeks. I love it. A definite favourite. Funny how that small difference in brim size makes all the difference. I am glad this worked out for most Loungers who participated.

Reactions: RBH

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
I have been wearing mine most days for the last few weeks. I love it. A definite favourite. Funny how that small difference in brim size makes all the difference. I am glad this worked out for most Loungers who participated.

+1 Mine gets more head time than any hat I own.

nigeloscar

One of the Regulars
Am waiting patiently ..

Have had my CD on order for a month or so now ... I use a Sydney hat shop called strand hatters which is owned by akubra! So hoping its close ..
I went for a brown colour having a fair few greys in Hamptons and Stylemasters.. Even though it was a a stockman that saved my head today when a bird shat all over my head when at beautiful Rushcutters bay earlier...hope the stains come out ..
But what I'm really interested in is the bash options ... I love the cowboy look that dusty from ZZ Top has .. Anyone know how easy that is ?!
I very very new to all of this ...

nigeloscar

One of the Regulars
It's funny, I'm a big fan of ZZ Top and they have just toured Australia, so I had plenty of time to admire his lid! I started searching for Texas milliners and fired off an email to a guy in Dallas.. He said he made all their hats, even though the one I liked was a Borsalino. For $2300 I could have almost the same hat .. So the Camp draft was ordered for $150...

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
It's funny, I'm a big fan of ZZ Top and they have just toured Australia, so I had plenty of time to admire his lid! I started searching for Texas milliners and fired off an email to a guy in Dallas.. He said he made all their hats, even though the one I liked was a Borsalino. For $2300 I could have almost the same hat .. So the Camp draft was ordered for $150...
Good choice. :D

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
In the article, ZZ Top's publicist said,

"Dusty Hill walked into Ector County Coliseum wearing his hat, and when he left the hat was gone,” Merlis said. “It sounds silly, but it’s a big drag separating a Texan from his favorite hat – that’s harsh.”

Doesn't sound silly to me at all. It's pretty low, stealing a mans hat. Glad Dusty got it back.

I attended a Hank Jr concert on the Ole Miss campus way back about 84-85. I was wearing the only brimmed hat I had, a cheap bangora straw. At the end of the concert, Hank and his band started throwing stuff into the crowd, guitar picks, ball caps, etc. People were lunging around me and knocked my hat off. Well, I jumped into the fray to get my hat. Some dude came out of the pack yelling, " I got Hank's hat, I got Hank's hat. I told him it was my hat. There was a minor disagreement, but I walked out with my hat. Don't take a man's hat.

nigeloscar

One of the Regulars
In the article, ZZ Top's publicist said,

"Dusty Hill walked into Ector County Coliseum wearing his hat, and when he left the hat was gone,” Merlis said. “It sounds silly, but it’s a big drag separating a Texan from his favorite hat – that’s harsh.”

Doesn't sound silly to me at all. It's pretty low, stealing a mans hat. Glad Dusty got it back.

I attended a Hank Jr concert on the Ole Miss campus way back about 84-85. I was wearing the only brimmed hat I had, a cheap bangora straw. At the end of the concert, Hank and his band started throwing stuff into the crowd, guitar picks, ball caps, etc. People were lunging around me and knocked my hat off. Well, I jumped into the fray to get my hat. Some dude came out of the pack yelling, " I got Hank's hat, I got Hank's hat. I told him it was my hat. There was a minor disagreement, but I walked out with my hat. Don't take a man's hat.

I agree, a man and his hat should never be separated !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner