Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

Outing with the family

photo (2).JPG

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Today my friends picked me up for a ride on West coast.

We started to go to lunch at a touristic place called "Sobreiro" were a miniature village exists. They make bread with chorizo (don't know if the USA have something like this), it is called "Pão com chourisso".
20140601b.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture

This miniature village is for children to visit but adults visit it too.
20140601c.jpg

20140601d.jpg

20140601i.jpg

20140601e.jpg

20140601f.jpg

20140601h.jpg

It have this miniature village that have working parts moved by water:
20140601j.jpg

20140601k.jpg

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
It have small shops full with tools used by crafters:
20140601g.jpg

A big open space...
20140601l.jpg

20140601m.jpg

A little castle with a fountain
20140601o.jpg

More Portuguese tipical houses
20140601n.jpg

This is the outer wall.
20140601p.jpg

After that we went to a beach I used to go 15-20 years ago. It's still the same.
20140601q.jpg

20140601r.jpg

20140601s.jpg

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
This is another beach (the next one to the North)
20140601t.jpg

20140601u.jpg

20140601v.jpg

Next we went to a place were a battle happened in 1808 between French and English troops (the English were defending us). This is a monument made in 1908 commemorating the first 100 years.
20140601w.jpg

This is a "Fartura" (I think it is called "churros" in Spain and Mexico).
20140601x.jpg

After that went to Bombarral train station. Sadly the train had passed 9 minutes before...
20140601z1.jpg

Visited too this sanctuary
20140601y.jpg

and this one near Óbidos
20140601z.jpg

Cattus Petasatus

One of the Regulars
Joao, if your chorizo is anything like ours here in Texas, I know I would like it.

My wife and I went to Phoenix last weekend. She was there for work and I flew out on Friday to make it a weekend get-a-way.

There was a Chihuly glass exhibit at the Desert Botanical Gardens. That's why there's glass mixed in with the cactus.

Can you guess why this is called Octopus Cactus?

This was our view at dinner on Sunday.

Oh, yeah, something about a hat. My new Dobbs Florentine Milan from Heritage Hats in Scotsdale. Nice shop, the front half is western, the back half is fedoras. Both sides have straw and felt. If you're in the area, stop by.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Joao it is always a pleasure to see Portugal. I travelled your country extensively many years ago and your pictures make me want to come back.
Saturday I visited the Bisazza Foundation for a photographic exhibition of Candida Hofer and on the way to take some photos on the backs roads of the plains. Bisazza is one of the most important mosaic's producers in Europe.
It is not so far from Verona where I live, is between my town and Vicenza (Palladio home), so in fortyfive minutes we were on the old industrial site of mosaic's production, now transformed in an marvellous atelier (permanent) for Design and Contemporary Architecture.
The photos are a simple route in an astounding reconverted space where there are works by the following designers: Tord Boontje, Aldo Cibic, Sandro Chia, Jaime Hayon, Alessandro Mendini, Fabio Novembre, Mimmo Paladino, Andrée Putman, Ettore Sottsass, Studio Job, Patricia Urquiola, Marcel Wander.
Everything is made of mosaics :smile:
The garden and entrance vqr400.jpg
For hats lovers 28bbtia.jpg
Some installations:
25uu0ll.jpg
vmpth3.jpg
25ox63c.jpg
2q2n21l.jpg
16jlt8j.jpg
2cgk19z.jpg
20gmxsh.jpg
sy9h53.jpg
zxo2t1.jpg
and outside space:
2i0ulv7.jpg
2lw3vrl.jpg
the exit
hs2e5t.jpg

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
Wow, fantastic photo essays.

Joao I spent a week in Lagos a few years ago and I'm remember a trip to the atlantic coast. I vaguely remember a monument to Henry the Navigator I think his voyages of discovery set off from around there...is that near where your photo's were taken?

Daniele, great photos. I've never been to Verona, but will definitely visit some time in the future. I've always wanted to visit since studying Romeo and Juliette in school many years ago:

“Two households, both alike in dignity
In fair Verona, where we lay our scene
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny
Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.
From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life
Whose misadventured piteous overthrows
Do with their death bury their parents' strife.”

Thanks again for sharing your travels.

Greg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Greg hope you have time and want to come in Verona.
Bisazza Foundation is in the town of Montecchio Maggiore (Vicenza) one of the main site of Romeo and Juliet tragedy
35bt3jb.jpg
The universally recognized homeland of Romeo and Juliet is the city of Verona, the function of the two manors of Montecchio (known precisely, as Castles "Romeo and Juliet") may not be so unimportant in view of at least assumptions that led to the creation of art, the setting and the writing of the novel.
2eoh5ie.jpg
Legend attributes the two fortresses Scala of Verona families of the Montagues and Capulets, making the homes of Romeo and Juliet, enter into the popular folklore in the mid-nineteenth century, that is in full romantic mood, in a period in which much was heard charm of the medieval ruins and seemed easy to fall in such an environment evocative and fascinating stories.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Joao it is always a pleasure to see Portugal. I travelled your country extensively many years ago and your pictures make me want to come back.
Thanks. I do like to travel in my country. If I could I would travel more. I've been in the 4 "corners", it's amazing how things are so different in less than 1000 kms.

Thank you sharing yours.

Joao I spent a week in Lagos a few years ago and I'm remember a trip to the atlantic coast. I vaguely remember a monument to Henry the Navigator I think his voyages of discovery set off from around there...is that near where your photo's were taken?
Lagos is in Algarve in the south.
There is one monument of Henry in Lagos... or are you thinking on the big monument in Lisbon?
Lisbon is near from were I live but about 100kms from were the pictures I took.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner