Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

Thanks again guys. Sunshine has been pretty rare in Buffalo of late... gotta share it when you get it.

:cool:

ps... Aaron, thank you for the notice and for noticing.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Had to go to Lisbon this afternoon. Because I was "running" to get out of there before rush hour, only took those:
20140507c.jpg

^^One of the huge cruise ships

20140507d.jpg

Convento da Graça (a convent) seen from the hospital.

20140507e.jpg

20140507f.jpg

Castelo de São Jorge - Lisbon's Castle (St. George Castle) also seen from the hospital.

Last edited:

Ghost Rider

One of the Regulars
I had to take an "emergency" trip to London last week to renew my passports, since it's no longer possible to do this in Germany. I took the opportunity to do some sightseeing (especially the well-known hat shops).

I was a little disappointed with the Christy's store - mostly wool fedoras and as expected, nothing in my size :( . This lead me further to Bates Hats:

Very knowledge salespeople and some very nice stuff, albeit at a very nice price. I was very impressed about the salesman's honesty - the person I spoke to told me that their hats are mostly produced in Italy or Spain - mostly due to the quality/price ratio. Some of their hats are also rebranded Tonaks, as in the next shop that I visited:

I expected the salespeople to be rather formal (as they were in Bates), but the salesman that looked after me was young, with a ponytail and several earrings. I've absolutely nothing against that, but somehow the image didn't quite fit. I really liked the Traveller hat that actually fitted me, but was somehow reluctant to pay a fair bit of money for a rebranded Tonak. They also let my try on one of their hand-made Bowlers. A nice hat, but I don't think it would be something I would wear very often in Germany.

Note to Man of Kent: How do you manage to pull off the Bowler look so well (exasperated Icon)????

After some thinking, I decided I just had to have the Beaver Fedora from Bates. A lot of money I know, but I don't need to tell everyone here that sometimes you just have to do these things... :D

Oh, one other highlight - I bumped in Stephen Fry (of "Jeeves and Wooster" fame) the day after at the Soho market :)

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
You did well to walk away with only one hat considering, GR. The hat shop is a rare opportunity so some personal excess is to be expected. No point trying to rationalize at this point as you say. I'm sure the purchase made the trip that much more enjoyable too.

Ghost Rider

One of the Regulars
You did well to walk away with only one hat considering, GR. The hat shop is a rare opportunity so some personal excess is to be expected.

Mmm... My wife sees this somewhat differently. "not another hat!" :)

I'm sure the purchase made the trip that much more enjoyable too.

Most definitely. I'll never complain about German bureaucracy again, having to deal with the UK Passport Agency. This was a good way to recover at least some semblance of sanity ;)

g.durand

One Too Many
Thanks, dh. All credit goes to my staff photographer, aka my wife.

Mike, the wind was so strong I think I was holding the hat on with my ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Today went to a fair about hunting. It is called "Expocaça" and it have a lot of thing for hunters. Supposedly there was to be a guy there that makes hats for... knights (I know there is another word for it but I can't remember now) but I could not find it.

There was some hawks and a owl.
20140518a.jpg

Cork hats
20140518b.jpg

Someone selling hats but none were as big as mine (see last picture)
20140518d.jpg

My hat for today. It sure turned a lot of heads there.
20140518.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
A recent trip along the coast south of Rome. It is the Emperors villas coast.
From the window of the bed&breakfats looking at the salt lake (Caprolace) behind the dunes of beach
kdpovm.jpg
This is the centre of Sabaudia, a town founded in 1934. The main example of "Razionalismo Italiano" an architectural weave in those years. Very interesting along with the Neoclassico you can find in Latina the main town (south Rome founded in that era) or in Rome EUR.
wmkz8o.jpg
2924nd4.jpg

I have with me two felt hats: a Barbisio and a Flechet but it was too hot to wear them......so I use a car's hat (it is seated all the years in the baggage car) a straw Broner .
5etl3l.jpg
Here we are on the hill of the Jupiter Anxur temple, on the background the gulf of Gaeta
This is the base of the temple dedicated to Jupiter, but it was in front of the sea so recent studies give it to Venus
2cxt255.jpg
11j7p8x.jpg
From the north side od the temple's base you can see the Terracina town. The centre is completely Roman.
bgbfqc.jpg
The Roman emperors built some magnificient villas: Nero in Anzio, Domiziano near the Circeo and Tiberio in Sperlonga.
They were, more or less, ruined during the years and not so much remains. The sites worth a visit.
This is the tomb of Lucio Munazio Planco, general of Julius Cesar at the top of the cape of Gaeta
2rzc4er.jpg
The Circeo cap with the cave of Circe, the temptation of Odysseus :)
10zbiaq.jpg
The beach at the sunset for the the end of the trip
30kag55.jpg

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
Lovely images from Italy Daniele.

Leith Hill in the Surrey Hills. Up from here is a tower, the highest point in SE England. From it you can see the clock face of Big Ben to the north, the sea to the South.

Wearing my NW Hats Indyesqe fedora.

Apologies for the splodges in the images, I've managed to get something on my camera's sensor. I've cleaned lenses, mirror etc but they are still there so a trip to the repair shop beckons!

Greg

Just dust on the glass pane in front of the sensor... very easy to clean if your camera has a sensor cleaning mode that locks the shutter open for access to the chip. Nice photos, everyone. G.D - great to finally see Point Reyes. My one time there I lost my companions if they were more than arm's length away. I sensed it was a beautiful place.

Slacker Drummer

Familiar Face
Okay, not a "real" fedora, but yesterday was such a beautiful day I decided to snap a pic of my desktop mini-me outside the office in his bowler. (I'm still searching for mine.)

10003657_10101979008373280_8489111619317944480_o.jpg

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Enjoying these posts now that I'm "grounded" for a while back home, our next planned trip isn't till Oct. Views from abroad and near that expand my little world.

NewJack

Practically Family
Today went to a fair about hunting. It is called "Expocaça" and it have a lot of thing for hunters. Supposedly there was to be a guy there that makes hats for... knights (I know there is another word for it but I can't remember now) but I could not find it.

There was some hawks and a owl.
20140518a.jpg

Cork hats
20140518b.jpg

Someone selling hats but none were as big as mine (see last picture)
20140518d.jpg

My hat for today. It sure turned a lot of heads there.
20140518.jpg

If my body frame was bigger, I'd wear the heck outta that hat, Joao!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav