Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras in 1912?

LTDAVIS

New in Town
So I love the Indiana Jones movies and I love hats and I love his hat. Another thing I love is history. I've thought about this for awhile but since I have a membership now I can ask. In the Last Crusade we see a young Indy receive his iconic fedora in 1912. My question is would a "modern" fedora like his have existed at that period. I know fedoras as we know them and the period we associate with them wasn't always like that. Fedoras in the early days were very different from the ones we know that popped up after ww1. I also know Herbert Johnson poets have been around for awhile. What are your thoughts.

So I love the Indiana Jones movies and I love hats and I love his hat. Another thing I love is history. I've thought about this for awhile but since I have a membership now I can ask. In the Last Crusade we see a young Indy receive his iconic fedora in 1912. My question is would a "modern" fedora like his have existed at that period. I know fedoras as we know them and the period we associate with them wasn't always like that. Fedoras in the early days were very different from the ones we know that popped up after ww1. I also know Herbert Johnson poets have been around for awhile. What are your thoughts.

If you dig around here a bit you’ll find a lot of information relevant to your question. Look at this fedora as a start:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/1910s-stetson-expo-medal.95992/

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Those were fun links. The “Indy” style definitely fits in the 40s, but checking those ads and pics on the links from Brent above make it clear Fedora type hats go way back.

Pretty cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto