Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoration IV deluxe Q

thecoolmiester

New in Town
How much better is the fed IV deluxe then the fed IV regular?

Looks, feel, crown height, or other specs wise?

Show side-by-side comparisons if you have them.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Hey Coolmiester- I just got a Fed IV in the "regular" grade Imperial Quality and I'll tell you this. Its a very nice hat! The specs between the two ought to be the same except for the felt quality.
I've read varying reports about the difference between the them (theres a thread in here somewhere that discusses this topic) and I'm not sorry I bought the one I did.
If you get one let us know what you think about it. I like the fedora you have on in your avatar BTW.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
indycop said:
I think the deluxe is supposed to have a nicer sweat also. I am waiting on my 2nd regular fed, no complaints from me.:)
"Supposed to" doesn't begin to say it. The sweatbands in the Imperial grade Akubras are very nice, but the ones in the Heritage and Fed IV Deluxes are magic. I have a moonstone Fed IV Deluxe and a tawny fawn std. Fed IV with a very happy (for me) factory mistake--it also has a Deluxe sweatband. These two hats feel almost like wearing nothing at all, they're so soft and compliant. I have three other Imperial Akubras and they're very nice, but it's easier to wear the Deluxe all day long because of the sweatband.

As to the felt, I find the Fed IV Deluxe felt to be firmer, more substantial. I don't mean stiffer exactly. They're nice and soft, but with a little water or steam you can easily shape them. What I've found, however, is that my Deluxe really holds its shape. My tawny std. is soft almost to the point of floppy, and I have to reinforce the brim side curl every few days. Not so with the Deluxe; it holds whatever shape I set it to, especially if it's shaped with steam or water. Once it dries or sets it stays there. Comfortably flexible, but retains its shape.

Here's how I look at it:
- If you have sensitive skin or could benefit from the softest, nicest sweatband possible, get the Deluxe.
- If you want a Fed IV in black or carbon grey, you have to get the Standard.
- If you want one that feels substantial in your hands and special on your head, get the Deluxe.
- If you are worried about a $115 hat on your head but not about a $75 one, get the Standard.
- If you want the minimum in shrinkage or taper over time, get the Deluxe.

Here's another way to look at it: Heritage felt is the closest Akubra comes to a beaver hat. It won't have as fine a velvety touch as an all beaver, but it will hold up and retain shape more like one. The Fed IV Deluxe is the only Akubra Heritage available in open crown. Combined with the upgraded sweatband, that ought to be worth something. It sure is to me.

I'd love to see them offer a Heritage version of the Campdraft.

Goose.

Practically Family
Thanks Johnny. I know this is CoolMiester's thread...but thanks from me for the post.

I found this for the Meister...maybe he's seen it...but others may not have (like me).
http://www.hatsdirect.com/hat-info/felt.html

:eek:fftopic: Interested in this statement from that site: "They offer two grades of Felt - Imperial and Heritage. They no longer make other grades."
So where does that leave Pilofelt :(

MattJH

One Too Many
I purchased two Federation IV Standards (Dark Brown, Carbon Grey) with the intent of having two hats I don't have to baby. I like them very, very much and I'm very satisfied.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Dumbjaw said:
I purchased two Federation IV Standards (Dark Brown, Carbon Grey) with the intent of having two hats I don't have to baby. I like them very, very much and I'm very satisfied.
I don't blame you. That's how I treat my tawny fawn Fed IV std--it's my wear with anything, go anywhere in any weather kind of hat. It imparts a sort of approachable dignity, and I wore it happily throughout a very rainy Seattle day of errand-running.

You really can't lose with either level of Fed. They're both stone cold bargains for the amount of value they return for the money spent, and they both seem to perch at the top of the price/performance bell curve.

Goose.

Practically Family
Lifted from another thread...
Carlisle Blues said:
IMG_0764_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0763_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0762_edited-1.jpg
;) ;) :)
I LOVE that dark brown Carlise Blues Clues...

I can't wait until mine arrives.
At first I was bummed about Moonstone being out of stock in my size.
But the more I thought about it, I want my FIVD to be my beater as I plan on wearing it everyday (if it is half as good as all you lounge lizards rave about). So the dark brown suits me for that.

IF I like it...I'll get a Moonie for dress up day.

Thanks a ton CB for posting. I really appreciate it. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No Thank you for removing from that other thread:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

I would have posted them earlier had I realized you really wanted to see them. My apologies .:eek:

Thanks for the use of your thread Miest;) ;)

Carlisle Blues

Oh BTW great hats for kickin' everyday use.

I use my Borsos for dressing up and performing. I did however, wear my Moonstone Tuesday when I played. It'll take a butt kickin' and still look great;)

Goose.

Practically Family
Carlisle Blues said:
No Thank you for removing from that other thread:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

I would have posted them earlier had I realized you really wanted to see them. My apologies .:eek:

Thanks for the use of your thread Miest;) ;)
Yep, really wanted to see that Dark Brown.
Thanks!

Hey, but if we don't want to be thread jackers, ya need to let Miester know what ya think of your Federations (as requested in the OP). So, let us know :)

Miester wants a comparison report, which I won't be able to do. But maybe I'll post my opinions here of the Fed D when I get mine. That is, unless I get the "bum's rush" for another thread.

:eek:fftopic: CB, I think I saw that picture you have in your current avatar in the paper.
That's the toddler you saved by jumping in the river...and like the old cowboy movies, your hat stayed on! See, I just can't help it!!! :p :eek:fftopic:

Carlisle Blues

thecoolmiester said:
How much better is the fed IV deluxe then the fed IV regular?

Looks, feel, crown height, or other specs wise?

Show side-by-side comparisons if you have them.

Miest, please forgive dunderheadedness.

I bought the Fed Deluxe IV on both lids because I am tough on my hats. I wear them to do just about everything. I also sweat like a pig.

I even smell like one as well. :eek:fftopic: That's another issue.[huh]

Anyway there is nothing at all wrong with the regular Feds. The deluxe has a different blend for the fur, it is very very pliable. I did not wet bash my hats.
That is a dry bash you see there. I am really happy with that.

The sweat band is a higher quality so durability and shrinkage should not be a an immediate issue.

I do not know if there is a discernible color difference between the deluxe brown and the regular brown.

I really wanted a hat that I can chop wood, look sharp and perform in. The deluxe seems to be it. Until a better mouse hat can be built for my purposes.;)

Here is a link that speaks to the specifics http://www.hatsdirect.com/federation/specifications.html

jpbales

Practically Family
I don't have a deluxe, but I have the standard and I can vouch for that.

The leather sweatband is nice, but not amazing.

The felt is pretty nice. I dry bashed mine when I first got it, but I like a tight front pinch so I had to use steam to get it to hold it tightly. I was able to dry bash a diamond into it and flopped the brim down without steam as well.

The felt comes a little "fuzzy" so to speak, mainly because they don't "pounce" it as much as they could. Pouncing is when they sand the felt down to make it smooth. I've taken some sand paper (a 400 grit then later a 1500 grit) and it's made a pretty noticeable difference- mainly, it's not as fuzzy and its a bit smoother.

The felt does shrink to an extent, but I haven't noticed any increase in taper. The shrinkage is good for me tho, since I'm a long-oval head AND I'm between sizes 59 and 60. So I got the size 60 and over time it went from being too big (even after filling in the sides with foam) to conforming perfectly to my goofy melon.

So ultimately, the deluxe has a few extra perks- such as the nicer sweatband, but I can't imagine you would be disappointed with the standard, even right out of the box. Although you can wear it with a dry-bash and without re-pouncing it, I'm the do-it-yourself type who doesn't mind putting a little work into it, especially if it saves me some money!

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
My opinion on my Akubra varies from ok to good. I have two standards, the first tapered very quickly, the second not much at all, then again it is in a diamond bash so that hides it. It has shrunk down quite a bit (isn't as tall as when I received it). I will also order a larger size next time, but that was a mistake on my behalf. Keep in mind I wear my hats in heavy rain and snow so that has something to do with the damage. The felt doesnt scream great to me, it's fuzzy and won't easily change if you want a new bash (other than if you're going from say a center dent to a diamond). Maybe that's true of most hats, but when I tried to change it back to a center dent the upper portion of the hat was warped where it had been creased as a diamond for a few weeks. The felt also feels very springy. They do not compare to most vintage hats I have handled but I still believe they are much better than all modern factory produced hats, and they're the best on the market today other than going custom. Now the Deluxe, maybe it really is a lot better. Give it a shot if you aren't worried about the money.

jpbales

Practically Family
hehehe yesterday, my standard Fed IV got thoroughly sat on and later crushed by a skate bag after I set it in my back seat. No worries- just popped it back into shape both times. It had a dent in the brim for a little bit, but after a while it sprang back just to being just like new again. That's what I love about this hat- I'm not afraid to toss it around a bit.

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
That is so true about the hat's ability to be crushed. I sat on mine a bit to break it in, crushed it, and it made it look even better. It gave it a bit of reverse taper which looks awesome. The hat stands up to a lot of physical abuse, that's for sure. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass