Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feet Up! The Work Boot Thread

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Received my first pair of Red Wings yesterday, the classic 8111. First resumé: Very nice shoe, supple leather, tough and rough but actually quite comfortable. True to size. My girlfriend loves them, she wants some for herself, but alas, no such small sizes available.;)
The only point of critizism is the craftmanship, there is quite some room for improvement. Some patches are cut very poorly, namely the left toe-cap. From a shoe for 280 Euros a pair I expect better than this. I was actually considering sending them back for replacement - maybe should have done! - but I liked them too much for that. Pics later.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
^^Fit pic with feet-up required...

A man of his word...nice Clark's Sloan..

Cheers! Currently wearing them around the flat to break them in a little - just getting the creases into place and soften the leather up. They hardly need it, but it's always good to spot any potential sore areas on the initial wear.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I wore mine straight out of the box and never a sore spot. It's the very flexible sole that makes them so comfortable. I like my red Latigo ones a lot too. That's a lovely leather with a beautiful grain.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Quite often I find shoes fine straight-on, but after an hour things start to go a bit wrong, but I have high hopes for these.
For the money, they're a steal. The burgundy's also the same colour as my Horween card holder, which appeals to the OCD in me! :D

Last edited:

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Received my first pair of Red Wings yesterday, the classic 8111. First resumé: Very nice shoe, supple leather, tough and rough but actually quite comfortable. True to size. My girlfriend loves them, she wants some for herself, but alas, no such small sizes available.;)
The only point of critizism is the craftmanship, there is quite some room for improvement. Some patches are cut very poorly, namely the left toe-cap. From a shoe for 280 Euros a pair I expect better than this. I was actually considering sending them back for replacement - maybe should have done! - but I liked them too much for that. Pics later.

I have sent three pairs of iron rangers back cos of ragged bits on the toe caps. I'm not one for being overly picky normally but they were so bad it was taking the piss. I even managed to get revolve clothing down to about a 40% discount for them but in the end the quality was so ppoor it was absurd. They even came with a little card informing me the name of the person who did the quality control - a pair of boots that were identifiably sub par from about ten feet away!

I went with White's in the end and ended up paying a lot more for a pair of boots that essentially bomb proof.

smoothsailor

One of the Regulars
Here are a few of my boots that I wear. Lately I mostly wear my lofgren engineers and the whites semi dress.
The trickers I had rebuilt by willie's shoe service in L.A. My red wing iron rangers had been worm for about 2 years, I painted them with dark brown shoe polish cause they where to dirty .
IMG_1179_edited-1_zps1aff3a8d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1181_edited-1_zps143ff2bb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1180_edited-1_zps82f47b97.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1178_edited-1_zps56a6d608.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Will015

Familiar Face
Nice collection there smoothsailor.

Don, My 8111's came to me with two differently shaped toes. The right one is nice and round and the left boots toe points slightly inward. I figure that they're 1930's style work boots and inconsistencies like that may have been common in a hardware store at the time, so, I accepted them. I intended to wear them hard and do actual construction in them so it didn't really bother me. I could understand however if wearing them for fashion/streetwear wanting them to be a little bit more nicely finished.

BTW it's not only Red Wings. My White's Bounty Hunters have wrinkles in the leather around the toe from the lasting process. Again, I figured "hey, they're boots not dress shoes".

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
You know, polishing shoes is not generally regarded as inferior task...;) No, honestly, leather needs some maintenance to hold up. You will be rewarded by longer living, nicer looking and better wearing shoes, believe me.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Nice collection there smoothsailor.

Don, My 8111's came to me with two differently shaped toes. The right one is nice and round and the left boots toe points slightly inward. I figure that they're 1930's style work boots and inconsistencies like that may have been common in a hardware store at the time, so, I accepted them. I intended to wear them hard and do actual construction in them so it didn't really bother me. I could understand however if wearing them for fashion/streetwear wanting them to be a little bit more nicely finished.

BTW it's not only Red Wings. My White's Bounty Hunters have wrinkles in the leather around the toe from the lasting process. Again, I figured "hey, they're boots not dress shoes".

Will, you're right, these are rugged boots, ok. But then, they are quite expensive boots, too. I mean, if I want boots to wear on the construction site, I go to the hardwear-shop and buy a pair for 100 bucks and no matter what they look like. But like most other, I asume, I wear these things just so because I like them. Sort of costume, if you like. Of course, I like the rugged looks and all, as with leather-jackets or wool pullovers. For the price I pay, 280,- Euro, as mentioned before, I would expect flawless construction, as I get it from other brands. Only bragging about "proudly made in America" won't suffice to survive the competition, at least outside the States.
Enough of that, I like them and I won't send them back, too much hassle. Next pair of Red Wings (Beckmanns, most likely) will be bought in the shop in Frankfurt, this gives me the amount of control I need. I will not accept such a sloppy workmanship again, no matter what brand.

mattface

Practically Family
Horween CXL desert boots arrived today. Perfect fit, lovely colour (and smell). Bargain! :D And now for the 'feet up' moment...

View attachment 8469

I just found out these existed when someone mentioned them in a message on Etsy about my CXL key cases. Now I need them!

Here's my 1ks after slogging around for a week plus in ice and snow, and then getting a couple coats of neatsfoot oil, and a couple coats of Meltonian neutral to try and help them cope with winter in VT. I can't seem to wear them for even a little bit without scuffing the hell out fo the toes, so I've decided not to baby them, but to take excellent care of them. I expect they'll get quite marked up, but will always be well oiled and polished.

guygardner

A-List Customer
Here are a few of my boots that I wear. Lately I mostly wear my lofgren engineers and the whites semi dress.
The trickers I had rebuilt by willie's shoe service in L.A. My red wing iron rangers had been worm for about 2 years, I painted them with dark brown shoe polish cause they where to dirty .
IMG_1179_edited-1_zps1aff3a8d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1181_edited-1_zps143ff2bb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1180_edited-1_zps82f47b97.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1178_edited-1_zps56a6d608.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That last pair is very nice. Love the broguing.

Impressive collection Sailor.

Nice wolverines Matt. The color is exceptional.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Wolverine 1000 miles are beautiful, I fell in love with them myself. So far the Price of 400,- Euro in Europe is a bit prohibitive... ;)

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Those are the infamous Flightmasters; a 6" Jobmaster on the MP last, and featuring the vintage WESCO logo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw