Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feet Up! The Work Boot Thread

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I quite like these. Are they original or repro? Because if repro I may have to get my hands on some. Obviously if original might be a little harder to rack down haha.
Hey Guy:
They are original.
Were never laced. Laces have the metal ends on them. I thought they would be extremely uncomfortable but i’m amazed how good they feel. They were quite a find i believe.
Thanks. Bowen

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
The Raichles I’ve had for 18 years. They don’t get a lot of wear time, but they get out when it’s cold or if I’m out in the woods to chop down trees or whatever...
8d476c9264fb95f8aa16a5290bb91c5d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A-1

One Too Many
I had replied to a member asking for advice on non denim pants to wear with engineer boots. I told him to just check your posts!

That’s nice, thanks!
I used to wear raw denim only for a few years but these vintage pants are so much better in every regard. They’re more durable, more comfortable and more breathable. And I like the looks of them. I don’t think I can ever go back to slim fit, low rise denim. Haha.

J.R. Kerr

New in Town
before and after. resurrected a pair of thorogood roofers I scored used. I have done four pair of these, and two pair of chippewa bridgeman.

you can get this boot as an 814-4233 or 814-6233 and thats off the top of my head. theyre exclusive to midwest boots at the moment, and they have at least one version with weinbrenners max wedge in black. these are siedel leather.

the heritage collection portage series ones come with cork nitrile full sole, and get made with horween and they only did a small run on some that were horween horsehide.

you can also score weinbrenner roofers as duluth trading company, or wood n stream with various model numbers and minor changes maybe like... lacks the brass rivets, or has a much lighter (low density) outsole.

after_01.jpg before_01.jpg

Last edited:

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The typical RW trial by fire lol. So far, there’s no weird bunching of extra leather anywhere, but the ball bone (?) on my right foot feels it’s grinding on wood when I walk. I’ve heard this complaint before, RW’s sole is a single leather with cork filling topped with Vibram rubber. Love the robustness of the construction and leather, factory lace is too short (always). Otherwise good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Love my IR. Broke in surprisingly fast for RW. I mandated a several block walk every evening for about two weeks amd that did the trick. I am in the midst of the same process with some RW Engineers. Ouch city.

Colin G

One Too Many
I really like the Red Wing Blacksmith model which I have a few of. One pair in brown broke in within a couple days while a black pair in the Spitfire leather seemed to take months to break in.

I'd stomp around the house wearing them a few hours a night indoors until they were good enough to be worn out and about for the day. Now they are fine.

A pair of Beckmans I have in dark cherry also broke in instantly it seemed.

A-1

One Too Many
I like the IR but it seems like I only see people in these boots. They are like parents' Vans or Chuck Taylors. This kind of put me off and I sold mine.
Comfy-wise I would never ever take weeks to break in a shoe and hurt my feet. It has to be comfy from day one which all my Vibergs, Whites, John Lofgrens were.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I always thought those Thorogood Roofers were sharp looking. Danner used to make some boots with that abbreviated toe box. I think it was one of their elk hunting boots. They might still make them for all I know. I used to see them in the Cabelas catalogs, and I haven't seen one of those in years. They also remotely remind me of the old Grafters Monkey Boots because of their height and look. I should add that Monkey Boots are the most uncomfortable shoe I've ever worn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ