Feet Up! The Work Boot Thread

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Robert C, Feb 3, 2006.

1. DaveProc

DaveProc One of the Regulars

All Red Wings have some breakn
    in time, I have six pair. My Iron Rangers in Rough and Tough Copper had the least amount of breakin. They were almost perfect out of the box. I would try a pair of these.

2. dannyk

dannyk Practically Family

I quite like these. Are they original or repro? Because if repro I may have to get my hands on some. Obviously if original might be a little harder to rack down haha.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  3. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Hey Guy:
    They are original.
    Were never laced. Laces have the metal ends on them. I thought they would be extremely uncomfortable but i’m amazed how good they feel. They were quite a find i believe.
    Thanks. Bowen

4. bluesmandan

bluesmandan One of the Regulars

The Raichles I’ve had for 18 years. They don’t get a lot of wear time, but they get out when it’s cold or if I’m out in the woods to chop down trees or whatever...
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short Balding Guy and BobHufford like this.
  5. A-1

A-1 One Too Many

John Lofgren Engineers being put to work:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. A-1

A-1 One Too Many

Last days were a mix of these ...
    [​IMG]
    And these...
    [​IMG]
    Love them both.

7. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

I had replied to a member asking for advice on non denim pants to wear with engineer boots. I told him to just check your posts!

A-1 and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  8. A-1

A-1 One Too Many

That’s nice, thanks!
    I used to wear raw denim only for a few years but these vintage pants are so much better in every regard. They’re more durable, more comfortable and more breathable. And I like the looks of them. I don’t think I can ever go back to slim fit, low rise denim. Haha.

9. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 Call Me a Cab

My black Iron Rangers are going on 5 years of very steady use, and I agree, even the cork sole wears like Iron! Took a few weeks to get fully broken in, but after that, smooth sailing! :)

DaveProc likes this.
  10. J.R. Kerr

J.R. Kerr New in Town

before and after. resurrected a pair of thorogood roofers I scored used. I have done four pair of these, and two pair of chippewa bridgeman.

you can get this boot as an 814-4233 or 814-6233 and thats off the top of my head. theyre exclusive to midwest boots at the moment, and they have at least one version with weinbrenners max wedge in black. these are siedel leather.

the heritage collection portage series ones come with cork nitrile full sole, and get made with horween and they only did a small run on some that were horween horsehide.

you can also score weinbrenner roofers as duluth trading company, or wood n stream with various model numbers and minor changes maybe like... lacks the brass rivets, or has a much lighter (low density) outsole.

after_01.jpg before_01.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  11. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

Great boots and trousers. Really nice to see you posting again. How's everything?

A-1 likes this.
  12. A-1

A-1 One Too Many

Thanks! Everything's great actually! Enjoying the winter. Hope you're doing great as well!

tropicalbob likes this.
  13. regius

regius One Too Many

[​IMG] finally pulled the trigger on the iron ranger

14. DaveProc

DaveProc One of the Regulars

How do you like them so far?

15. regius

regius One Too Many

The typical RW trial by fire lol. So far, there’s no weird bunching of extra leather anywhere, but the ball bone (?) on my right foot feels it’s grinding on wood when I walk. I’ve heard this complaint before, RW’s sole is a single leather with cork filling topped with Vibram rubber. Love the robustness of the construction and leather, factory lace is too short (always). Otherwise good!

DaveProc and johnnycanuck like this.
  16. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

Love my IR. Broke in surprisingly fast for RW. I mandated a several block walk every evening for about two weeks amd that did the trick. I am in the midst of the same process with some RW Engineers. Ouch city.

johnnycanuck likes this.
  17. Colin G

Colin G Practically Family

I really like the Red Wing Blacksmith model which I have a few of. One pair in brown broke in within a couple days while a black pair in the Spitfire leather seemed to take months to break in.

I'd stomp around the house wearing them a few hours a night indoors until they were good enough to be worn out and about for the day. Now they are fine.

A pair of Beckmans I have in dark cherry also broke in instantly it seemed.

18. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

My Beckman’s seem to have a wider toebox than my IR which made the process less torture.

19. A-1

A-1 One Too Many

I like the IR but it seems like I only see people in these boots. They are like parents' Vans or Chuck Taylors. This kind of put me off and I sold mine.
    Comfy-wise I would never ever take weeks to break in a shoe and hurt my feet. It has to be comfy from day one which all my Vibergs, Whites, John Lofgrens were.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  20. regius

regius One Too Many

[​IMG][​IMG]
    At the office, walked to the gym. Inner side of right heel counter started to rub... oh no

Short Balding Guy likes this.