Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feet Up! The Work Boot Thread

nabottle

A-List Customer
@ handymike - The AE Daltons look great! I have a pair, but they're still getting babied.

I have my Red Wing Iron Ranger 8113s on here. I've had them for about 9 weeks now and I wear them just about every day. I decided to put mink oil on them and it COMPLETELY changed the color and overall look. I love it! Not that I didn't like the stock look, but they're more tan/brown now and they have a dull sheen.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Feet up!!
image.jpg

Last edited:
I'm OCD (surely not alone here), and this very thing is why I prefer to buy used clothing. It pangs me a bit to be the first to damage new anything. Savings aside, used gear is a relief in that way. That first mark eats away at me for a while, and I skip over that burden when I avoid the new. Even when I was in a steel mill and buying $75 boots that were going to get destroyed, I took notice of that first mark.

I never really gave much thought into it, but I'm exactly the same! I mean, I do some OCD-ish things - who doesn't - but I never really thought that it might be the reason why that first mark on something new that I've bought always pains me so much. I mean, I have a brand new Aero jacket that has arrived three days ago, lying on the sofa behind me, and I still haven't started to wear as I don't want the sleeves to crease. . . Not yet, at least.

Some great boots in these thread... Nothing to contribute, though. I only wear engineers.

Haha I think it's the sofa that's going to end up with an impression the shape of a jacket if I don't move it soon, how heavy and stiff that thing is. I've a couple of Aero's already but this one's ridiculous!

Is nubuck leather any good for a work/motorcycle boots? I've found some nice looking work boots but I'm not so sure about the leather. I know nubuck is supposed to be normal leather that's been sanded but is it any less durable because of that?

GregO

One of the Regulars
No, I would never accept artificially aging or wearing of work clothes. Might as well buy those jeans with the thighs and butt cheeks bleached white. I didn't mean anything personal to YOU M8, just to the whole side of this forum that is of the "how do I LOOK like a working man?" mentality. I have dress boots that I hate to nik or scratch. But they are dress boots. When someone comes to work with new (or new-looking) boots, or shiny new pliers, EVERYone notices. We joke and tease the newness. So the whole idea of spending big money on workboots, and being afraid to get them dirty or wet, is laughable. Especially on a site that is all about how to be a classic man. Your grandfathers would put you over their knees.

Although somewhat inartfully said, I understand the basic point. If we take a moment to really think about, we really are a spoiled lot around here -- myself included. Most of us don't have to get our hands dirty on a daily basis, but sometimes wish to look as though we do. Now I don't think there is anything wrong with that, but I do have a funny feeling my grandfather or father would laugh a bit at me rocking my $400 "work" boots into my law firm.

But the "working class hero" pitch that Max threw out there is a bit much.

With respect to boot makers, I think White's or any other work boot maker is happy with a sale no matter how the buyer intends to use a boot.

Workwear is "in" right now...and personally I love the look of classic designs from the early to mid 20th century, and I wear them proudly. But I think we all can admit that if a dustbowl-era blue collar guy saw how we wear some of the stuff we do, he would think it a bit silly.

Maybe I should feel guilty about my outfit today -- RW Iron Rangers, denim, a henley, and a Filson cruiser -- but I don't. Times change.

On a personal preference level, I never baby any leather goods except for strict dress shoes. In my opinion, the magic of leather is only really evident after real use, sometimes abuse, and after it has developed a good patina.

And if my grandfather heard me use the word "patina" when referring to my work boots, he would have laughed!

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Today I'm wearing a pair of White's smoke jumpers. Definitely overkill for anything I do but still fun. My wife thinks I'm out of my mind wearing these. She actually pulled out the scale to weigh them (around 6 lbs for the pair).

I can't think of any reason to feel guilty for wearing a style of boot that may not exactly fit my line of work.
IMG_2258.JPG

Dickie Teenie

A-List Customer
I bought my wife some Hathorn packers and when she picked them up she wasn't too sure about them. After her first little walk about she was all smiles. They sure feel heavy picking them up but once on the move i hardly notice all that weight tho mine are just Whites semi dress.

Today I'm wearing a pair of White's smoke jumpers. Definitely overkill for anything I do but still fun. My wife thinks I'm out of my mind wearing these. She actually pulled out the scale to weigh them (around 6 lbs for the pair).

I can't think of any reason to feel guilty for wearing a style of boot that may not exactly fit my line of work.
IMG_2258.JPG

What jeans are those?

53Effie

A-List Customer
I agree. The boots look really good. I wear mine as part of my footwear rotation in the tax and accounting office where I work. Never had a complaint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner