Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers

Grasp loo paper

One of the Regulars
It’s amazing to me that with all the effort repro makers put into their jackets, the design, construction and build quality…they still manage to regularly miss the collar. There are rare exceptions. Very rare.
True that I have never seen a collar like this on repros. Especially that beautiful curve!

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Just a heads up, Greg has put up his prices as of today ( June 19th ) by 10%.
everything going up. I noticed Schott raised a bunch of models as well. Won't be long for raises across the board for all makers. Makes the secondary market more interesting as it was starting to feel like jackets were not moving as much on classifieds. Some Aeros were coming down sub $600 which is crazy imo for a barely worn jacket. Get 'em while you can. Who know what prices will look like a couple years from now.

Grasp loo paper

One of the Regulars
Been reading around, can't fully grasp the difference between full aniline and pony. (black) From what I understood, both are dyed through, and the pony has an extra "oil tanned" layer for water protection and it makes it shinier? Can someone confirm? both the same tickness? thanks in advance

oskar

One of the Regulars
I only know the black pony:
It is super super super soft
It has a very dark black. If you lay it next to black cxl its just a lot more black
Has a higher shine to it
Looks amazing in bright light.
Looks great in artificial light
It is a smoother hide
It develops creases around the arms super fast

In my opinion:
If you are looking for a rugged jacket take teh full aniline
If you are looking for a modern elegant jacket pick the pony.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I also vote ponyhide. The one I have is very soft and has decent grains and. The full anilines are stiffer and naked (no topcoat). So you might get surprised marks once broken in with the aniline. With the pony what you see is what you get, no surprises.

Ask for samples. I see on Greg's instagram page he cut up leather samples to send out. Nice to have as a little souvenier.

Grasp loo paper

One of the Regulars
Thank you for your replies: I have the samples and from initial Look/manipulation, I prefer the aniline. However I poured some water from the sink on both and wasn’t impressed by the way aniline soaks the water up then dries and stays “hard and wrinkles” despite putting some leather cream on it. It seems it damages? Correct me if I’m wrong. The pony however didn’t seem to mind water. I’ll talk to Greg soon. But I’m still wavering in my choice

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Thank you for your replies: I have the samples and from initial Look/manipulation, I prefer the aniline. However I poured some water from the sink on both and wasn’t impressed by the way aniline soaks the water up then dries and stays “hard and wrinkles” despite putting some leather cream on it. It seems it damages? Correct me if I’m wrong. The pony however didn’t seem to mind water. I’ll talk to Greg soon. But I’m still wavering in my choice

Personally i stay away from veg tan and aniline dye for that very reason.
If you want a jacket that is waterproof and doesn't stain in water Chrome tanned is your best bet.
Even Thedi's hides that are heavily waxed have IMO poor resistance to water and end up stained by rain.

oskar

One of the Regulars
Pony soakes in the water, as well. But it doesnt leave any stains. So far it makes the jacket look better.

Damon141

Practically Family
Personally i stay away from veg tan and aniline dye for that very reason.
If you want a jacket that is waterproof and doesn't stain in water Chrome tanned is your best bet.
Even Thedi's hides that are heavily waxed have IMO poor resistance to water and end up stained by rain.
How do your pigment Shinki jackets compare?

Have you had any combination tanned jackets in your collection?

I would imagine they would repel water until the finish wears off then at that point stains won’t matter and it is more of a beater type jacket.

Cheech

A-List Customer
Does Greg use a label to designate pony hide vs horsehide? Just curious, as I bought one of his jackets secondhand, and it is labeled as Shinki horsehide. I need to get around to posting pics, as it's quite a specimen. Moreover, the brown hide (it's two-toned) looks pretty distinct, certainly different from other Shinki hides I've seen.

Sorry for the teaser only--I just need to find a morning when a) it's cool enough, and b) I'm not doing a million different things before 8am to snap a few photos.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
How do your pigment Shinki jackets compare?

Have you had any combination tanned jackets in your collection?

I would imagine they would repel water until the finish wears off then at that point stains won’t matter and it is more of a beater type jacket.

Only thing i have that is combo tanned are my CXL Aero, i don't really like them and haven't worn them enough to see how they evolve in that sens.
CXL is far more waterproof than your average veg tan leather though, but still not as much as Chrome tanned with a good topcoat.

FL2021

Familiar Face
Normally the Manufacturers advised against Interior Pockets...yet time and again see them in his Final Jackets..
Why do U do them? I was advised against....

Normally the Manufacturers advised against Interior Pockets...yet time and again see them in his Final Jackets..
Why do U do them? I was advised against....

The only manufacturer that I have ever heard advising against interior pockets is Aero. Nobody else. Every other maker installs at least one by default, without question.

Considering how only the hand-warmers are practical for storing things, I personally absolutely need an interior pocket in my leather jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB