Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers

FL2021

Familiar Face
Wanted to comment...Aero does advise against it...it is true...
What is the reason? Haven't been able to figure it out....

Thank you... appreciate the transparency...

Would you do 1 or 2?

I would much rather my jacket having a pocket on both sides but it's all down to what you need. No reason to get if you don't carry much stuff? But if you're like me and prefer to keep your phone and your apartment keys safely stored, then two pockets definitely come in handy.

I don’t like the interior pocket construction that Aero uses where the leather is doubled up on the interior facing. I found it awkward and bulky.
26CAC4E8-B86D-4D2F-9E2C-FE183BB4962E.jpeg
I much prefer the pocket to be in the lining, like Thedi does his.
30692D41-4C52-4B9E-8E0F-417A6112CFAD.jpeg

Last edited:

FL2021

Familiar Face
That was really helpful, thank you.

Basically, what I was advised was, interior pockets add unnecessary bulk to the Front, effecting drape.
I can see this to be true, yet most of his production jackets had the vertical pockets similar to Aero, which the customers had requested, so this was the reason brought it to the Forums attention. So I guess, it is a personal preference trade-off, Function vs Fit.

Pocket on the Jacket, in my case, has only one Purpose, to carry the phone, or it goes in my back pocket.
Wallet is a Minimal Card Holder - by the way..."Wild Frontiers Goods", Mike, his work is in the Class of Gregs, beyond reproach, and the keys Carried via a Lanyard.. "Erwing Dry Goods" GunClip Lanyard..had it done in Custom Bridle.

So many choices on a Jacket in General, glad to be a part of this forum, where there exists a place with Members with Practical insight.

The phone is more of a Phalet, then with the Otterbox Defender ontop, big, heavy and cumbersome. How would you carry it? Backpocket? Maybe add a Chest Front Outside Pocket, or and Thedi type interior Pocket? Everything else for me is sorted except this one....

That was really helpful, thank you.

Basically, what I was advised was, interior pockets add unnecessary bulk to the Front, effecting drape.
I can see this to be true, yet most of his production jackets had the vertical pockets similar to Aero, which the customers had requested, so this was the reason brought it to the Forums attention. So I guess, it is a personal preference trade-off, Function vs Fit.

With a needlessly complex, vertical, snap-on, pocket made in multiple layers of leather - Sure, I believe a pocket like this would affect the front of the jacket to some extent but there's absolutely no need to complicate things so much for zero benefit whatsoever.

Schott has been making a patch pocket like this for decades and there's never been any complaints. It's simple, it works.

20220411-112425-0.jpg

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
With a needlessly complex, vertical, snap-on, pocket made in multiple layers of leather - Sure, I believe a pocket like this would affect the front of the jacket to some extent but there's absolutely no need to complicate things so much for zero benefit whatsoever.

Schott has been making a patch pocket like this for decades and there's never been any complaints. It's simple, it works.

20220411-112425-0.jpg
I was just about to link the Schott internal patch pocket myself. It's great!

Aero actually has a somewhat similar (though fancier)one on the Indian Ranger, since it's part of the original jacket's design, but I don't know if they would add it to another jacket. Worth asking.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I am also not a fan of the inside facing vertical welt pockets. They are not leather lined so defeats the purpose for carrying. The horizontal inside lining pockets is more practical and useful. But the Scottish brands are not very keen on them for some reason.

Has anyone gotten a horizontal chest pocket (in the lining) from Greg?

Like this:
IMG_0080.JPG

dwilson

A-List Customer
Black & Gold seems pretty common for jacket companies. Buco (RMC), Vanson, FCL and now Field. Not sure he decided to go with a label that blends into the crowd so much.

Jaswinder Singh

New in Town
I think my number is finally up. I have never owned anything shinki before. The one jacket I do have is calfskin.
Any guides on shinki leather and how it ages? I have a black double rider jacket, so I think I might go for a brown half belt style with Greg.

Caber

One of the Regulars
I think my number is finally up. I have never owned anything shinki before. The one jacket I do have is calfskin.
Any guides on shinki leather and how it ages? I have a black double rider jacket, so I think I might go for a brown half belt style with Greg.
My number has been up since May but they have been having a hard time getting the Brown Horse hides in. They Said that they should be getting the hides in any time in the next few weeks. I was told that fedex is holding them for some reason

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
but they have been having a hard time getting the Brown Horse hides in
I saw from their Insta posts that Fedex has finally delievered the brown Shinki.

Has any one ordered the deerskin from Greg? I am in line for one but I haven't seen one thought I ask to see if any has gotten one yet. Thanks.

Jaswinder Singh

New in Town
My number has been up since May but they have been having a hard time getting the Brown Horse hides in. They Said that they should be getting the hides in any time in the next few weeks. I was told that fedex is holding them for some reason
Ah that's good to know. I am also looking at the brown shinki. Have you decided on your pattern/hardware? I am on the fence between a Route 66 and the Idaho.

Caber

One of the Regulars
I saw from their Insta posts that Fedex has finally delievered the brown Shinki.

Has any one ordered the deerskin from Greg? I am in line for one but I haven't seen one thought I ask to see if any has gotten one yet. Thanks.
You are correct. I received an email about 2 hours after I posted this
Ah that's good to know. I am also looking at the brown shinki. Have you decided on your pattern/hardware? I am on the fence between a Route 66 and the Idaho.
He is making a Sheene style jacket. I believe that is the Route 66 with a collar and maybe a few other minor changes, Im having a tartan liner put in. I think I did brass hardware

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB