Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers

Brandrea33

One Too Many
8EAD9701-6AA4-4E5A-BDD0-DED0CFEDCC4E.jpeg
Hi guys, I’m new in this forum; an italian friend of mine said me to look at this thread because I’m looking for a leather jacket.

I would like to ask you an advice; I’m looking for a leather jacket and for me this is quite difficult because of my small size (often the smallest size is too big for me), so I would like to evaluate also a MTM solution like this of Field Leathers. The price of this solution for me…is high, but eventually can be ok if I can get a “pefect” product. I think I’ll have to to decide before the price will go up on March.

My main worry actually is… That I’m not 100% sure of “what I want” from this jacket. I see everybody here seems to know exactly what they like, pokects, proportions, and so on. Now I only know that I want something very simple and clean. Actually, until 3-4 months ago I would never have bought a jacket with this price... I started interesting more on clothing, style… When I try something at shops I have often doubts about wearability of clothes, if they fits perfectly on me or not… How can I decide every aspect of a jacket without trying it before?!? :-D

What should I do? Book my jacket, and the try to understand what to ask exactly? The 7 months lead time is perfect for my situation ahahha.

In the meantime I should study on this forum I suppose! (if you can suggest me brands where I can look at good leather jacket I start studying them, what I like, and what to avoid…or specif website where to look at…I have already read all this thread of course)

Thank you very much, I hope my thought is clear (and hope my english is not too bad!)

I was right there with you about a year ago ...

I did a lot of research here, and on social media. I knew I wanted a high quality leather jacket and I suppose I had a fairly good sense of what my personal style was.

That said, I landed on halfbelt design. To me it was a “safe design” choice and one I could wear with just about anything. If you’re more fashion forward, there are a lot of other styles out there to choose from.

My recommendation is to start with what appeals to your sense of style, and then decide on the maker. If you don’t mind spending more money, a bespoke maker can fit you to your exact measurements. My only word of advice there, is to be very clear about what you plan to wear the jacket with (layers or not).

Good luck in your journey and welcome to the forum!

EDIT: I suddenly realize I may have confused you. The jacket I’m wearing is not a FL. I have a production slot booked with Greg for my next jacket though:)

Last edited:

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi guys, I’m new in this forum; an italian friend of mine said me to look at this thread because I’m looking for a leather jacket.

I would like to ask you an advice; I’m looking for a leather jacket and for me this is quite difficult because of my small size (often the smallest size is too big for me), so I would like to evaluate also a MTM solution like this of Field Leathers. The price of this solution for me…is high, but eventually can be ok if I can get a “pefect” product. I think I’ll have to to decide before the price will go up on March.

My main worry actually is… That I’m not 100% sure of “what I want” from this jacket. I see everybody here seems to know exactly what they like, pokects, proportions, and so on. Now I only know that I want something very simple and clean. Actually, until 3-4 months ago I would never have bought a jacket with this price... I started interesting more on clothing, style… When I try something at shops I have often doubts about wearability of clothes, if they fits perfectly on me or not… How can I decide every aspect of a jacket without trying it before?!? :-D

What should I do? Book my jacket, and the try to understand what to ask exactly? The 7 months lead time is perfect for my situation ahahha.

In the meantime I should study on this forum I suppose! (if you can suggest me brands where I can look at good leather jacket I start studying them, what I like, and what to avoid…or specif website where to look at…I have already read all this thread of course)

Thank you very much, I hope my thought is clear (and hope my english is not too bad!)

Welcome :)
I think reserving a production slot first is not a bad idea ... at least if you're already fixated on FL.
I would start with something simple, e.g. Cafe Racer with or without a collar, few pockets, no gussets. Clean and simple.
But of course that also has to fit your style. Personally, I think a CR goes with everything, but of course that is a matter of taste.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab

Welcome to the lounge! I think going for a FL jacket in shinki is a great start.
It's a great investment having a nice leather jacket, it will never go out of style especially if you go with a clean classic design in black/brown. It doesn't matter what design you want in the end as Greg will make you a perfect fitting jacket. You have time to research before you Greg finally cuts your jacket so go for it. All the best.

dlite90

Familiar Face
Put in my order for a Michigan yesterday. I’ve always been impressed with Greg’s story because he didn’t let dyslexia hold him back (my brother also wants to get a Field jacket because he’s impressed with Greg’s story).
If more guys my age got into an artisanal trade like that I’d support them.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Follow up on my first FL jacket. Full aniline brown shinki Route 66 cafe racer. I love this shade of brown even more than my tobacco badalassi/vintage brown shinki/brown cxl. Would have been perfect if I requested the sleeves to be 0.75" longer as they shrank when the creases/folds set in.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 941

TG3

One of the Regulars
Follow up on my first FL jacket. Full aniline brown shinki Route 66 cafe racer. I love this shade of brown even more than my tobacco badalassi/vintage brown shinki/brown cxl. Would have been perfect if I requested the sleeves to be 0.75" longer as they shrank when the creases/folds set in.

View attachment 313177

View attachment 313178

View attachment 313172

View attachment 313171

View attachment 313173

View attachment 313176

View attachment 313175

Fits like a freaking glove!!!! Killer jacket my man.

Brandrea33

One Too Many

View attachment 313177

View attachment 313178

View attachment 313172

View attachment 313171

View attachment 313173

View attachment 313176

View attachment 313175
That’s stunning, bravo!

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab

View attachment 313177

View attachment 313178

View attachment 313172

View attachment 313171

View attachment 313173

View attachment 313176

View attachment 313175
you know, Jin. I remember you talking about this jacket and how you had messed up the shoulder measurement because you based it on denim and didn't account for the leather thickness, etc. etc. But it's actually not bad. Interestingly enough, with those tighter shoulders, you're not getting the neck creases a lot of us get. I do think the sleeve length though has passed the point of wear it how you want. I wonder if Greg could add a 2-3 inch cuff to the end of the sleeves, adjust the zipper of course and overall length of the sleeve so it comes in just right (whatever that is :).

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
That’s stunning, bravo!

Thank you! Can't wait to see what you and Greg come up with!

you know, Jin. I remember you talking about this jacket and how you had messed up the shoulder measurement because you based it on denim and didn't account for the leather thickness, etc. etc. But it's actually not bad. Interestingly enough, with those tighter shoulders, you're not getting the neck creases a lot of us get. I do think the sleeve length though has passed the point of wear it how you want. I wonder if Greg could add a 2-3 inch cuff to the end of the sleeves, adjust the zipper of course and overall length of the sleeve so it comes in just right (whatever that is :).

It's definitely a little tight around the shoulder but it's fine as I only wear a tshirt with this jacket. I've seen what you mean but I think that looks fine and maybe it will look better once the leather relaxes and shapes to you.

This was my 2nd or 3rd made to order jacket so I was still not in the know especially the proper sizing and sleeve allowances, this was a good but expensive learning experience for sure. The photo makes the sleeves look shorter because it's constructed in a way that it's acutely curved at the elbows. If we ever get to travel safely again, I'll visit Scotland and see Greg in his workshop. I'll request for the sleeves to be lengthened if he has same leather.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
If we ever get to travel safely again, I'll visit Scotland and see Greg in his workshop. I'll request for the sleeves to be lengthened if he has same leather.

yeah, good idea. That's why I was thinking cuffs though because of the issue of matching leather. Obviously he wouldn't need as much. But of course, if he has a good supply or can match, yeah, you might be better off redoing rather than Frankensteining it.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Thank you! Can't wait to see what you and Greg come up with! ...

Thank you, I’m excited to work with Greg, and based on what I’ve seen here, I’m sure that it’s going to be fantastic.

He’s agreed to make me something from his past ... I’m about 6 months out but that’s ok, I’m patient :rolleyes:

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
yeah, good idea. That's why I was thinking cuffs though because of the issue of matching leather. Obviously he wouldn't need as much. But of course, if he has a good supply or can match, yeah, you might be better off redoing rather than Frankensteining it.

Thanks for that smart recommendation. I never would have thought that a small cuff would do the trick, the zippers will need to be replaced to lengthen them as well. I don't really mind if the hides are not matched 100%, it will just add character and story to the build lol but a resleeve is okay with me too if there is enough matching hides. I wonder if that is something JL can do.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, I’m excited to work with Greg, and based on what I’ve seen here, I’m sure that it’s going to be fantastic.

He’s agreed to make me something from his past ... I’m about 6 months out but that’s ok, I’m patient :rolleyes:

I'm sure he will make you a wonderful piece and so tailored to you. He is a great craftsman and is a very kind and thoughtful person. You are in great hands.

Just in time, you would get your jacket before the Fall and get to break it in during a great time of the year! Very exciting!

giasty

New in Town

Thank you all for answers. I will probably go with a very simple design like you suggested me. I like very much Jin431's jacket (congratulation!!! so nice...) and maybe I could start from that design.
My question is: I don't really understand the weight of leathers used by Greg. I'm looking for a jacket to use only with a tshirt, something light. What kind of leather should I choose? I'm not sure even if I prefer brown or black... Maybe I can choose the lighter one!

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Thank you all for answers. I will probably go with a very simple design like you suggested me. I like very much Jin431's jacket (congratulation!!! so nice...) and maybe I could start from that design.
My question is: I don't really understand the weight of leathers used by Greg. I'm looking for a jacket to use only with a tshirt, something light. What kind of leather should I choose? I'm not sure even if I prefer brown or black... Maybe I can choose the lighter one!

Thank you, this cafe racer is the slimmest out of my jackets and I can only wear a tshirt underneath. A cafe racer is a good option for a light sweater/shirt, it also looks better if it's trim.

He uses a midweight leather made out of horse hide, it is a little stiff at first but it's not heavy at all so it's easy to wear. Just reach out to him to let him know what color you want and he will source it for you from Japan.

Edit: here is some of the color of shinki horse hide Greg can order from his supplier in Japan

IMG_1840.jpg

Last edited:

giasty

New in Town
Hi everybody, a "technical" question.
I finally decided, and I confirmed my choice to Greg 3 days ago, but I didn't receive his reply yet; above all, I asked how to proceed with payment. Since tomorrow price will go up 7%... Should I write him again as a reminder? Should I order my jacket directly by website?

I will go with the bespoke solution, and I will ask your help in defining it, but there will be a lot of time (7 months of lead time...) :)

Last edited:

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I finally decided, and I confirmed my choice to Greg 3 days ago, but I didn't receive his reply yet; above all, I asked how to proceed with payment. Since tomorrow price will go up 7%... Should I write him again as a reminder? Should I order my jacket directly by website?

I will go with the bespoke solution, and I will ask your help in defining it, but there will be a lot of time (7 months of lead time...) :)

Of course it’s always best to clear this out with Greg himself, but since he seems to be AWOL... Ordering via the website secures your place in the queue, and Greg will take payment based on today’s prices. At least that’s the way it always worked for me. You can refer to the specs in your email dated (...) in the comments section of the website. Other than that: you’re right that you have plenty of time to reconfirm/amend the details later on.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab

Order now so you can guarantee to get your jacket by the Fall.
Email him at a later date with the details, he won't work on your jacket anytime soon so you'll have time to figure it out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ