Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers

You take TFL out of the equation and his wait time drops to a month. Greg should buy a few of you a Rolex. Maybe a week long vacation in Fiji. Something.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm with @Marc mndt here. I really don't think we make as big of a difference for him as we think. From what I understand, he is getting a lot of orders through IG.

I agree.
how many jackets will Greg produce per week? I estimate a maximum of 2-3 when things are going very well. Here from the TFL there will probably be around 10 jackets, which does not explain a 10 month waiting period.

You guys need to lighten up a bit. I was joking. With the repeat orders and all. Surprised you didn’t add that Greg buying watches for you guys is too much of an ask.

I am on record here stating that I think the TFL effect on a maker’s bottom line isn’t as great as we may think.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I agree.
how many jackets will Greg produce per week? I estimate a maximum of 2-3 when things are going very well. Here from the TFL there will probably be around 10 jackets, which does not explain a 10 month waiting period.
I asked Greg whether he has any insight on how his customers learned about him.

The majority of his customers learned via Instagram. Then via Carl Murawski's YouTube video. From his current backlog, he believes roughly 20% are TFL members.

He also shared some insights from a couple of other makers. They get between 5% and 10% of their sales from TFL members.

I am on record here stating that I think the TFL effect on a maker’s bottom line isn’t as great as we may think.

I know you were just joking, but I was curious myself. Now we know :)

The majority of his customers learned via Instagram. Then via Carl Murawski's YouTube video. From his current backlog, he believes roughly 20% are TFL members.

He also shared some insights from a couple of other makers. They get between 5% and 10% of their sales from TFL members.

Thanks for finding that out. Gives much better perspective. Definitely not numbers to disregard as a maker. And it’s cool that they actually have an idea about the TFL effect on their business.

Mich486

One Too Many
What’s more difficult to monitor though is how many place an order because they get to know the maker via TFL but they never sign up or participate as active members.

Although probably when giving out a range of 5-10% it’s because they are taking that into account...

Pandemic

One Too Many
I wonder how many of the people who first discover him via YouTube or Instagram do a Google search before placing an order? If they did, they would land here on the many detailed reviews pretty quickly. I think TFL probably contributes to more than the 20% of orders that come directly from active members here.

Funny aside: I was also raving about Greg’s work on another menswear forum that I’ve been active on for ten years. Mostly not a big leather jacket place so not a lot of other folks showing interest in my latest obsession. But when I mentioned Greg’s current dilemma - wait lists expanding while trying to remain a one person highest quality maker, I just ran down some possibilities (raise prices, hire cutters and admins, cap orders after 12months, etc). Some wit in the group suggested he stop making jackets, continue to take orders and invest the money in a Seoul wine bar. Lol.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab

Dynamite info! 20% is HUGE. Just think about some makers getting thrown from the Olympus of TFL (only recently in two cases). That is business threatening leverage.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
FL Full Aniline Brown Shinki Cafe Racer

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_2261.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_2263.jpg

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
I wonder how many of the people who first discover him via YouTube or Instagram do a Google search before placing an order? If they did, they would land here on the many detailed reviews pretty quickly. I think TFL probably contributes to more than the 20% of orders that come directly from active members here.

Funny aside: I was also raving about Greg’s work on another menswear forum that I’ve been active on for ten years. Mostly not a big leather jacket place so not a lot of other folks showing interest in my latest obsession. But when I mentioned Greg’s current dilemma - wait lists expanding while trying to remain a one person highest quality maker, I just ran down some possibilities (raise prices, hire cutters and admins, cap orders after 12months, etc). Some wit in the group suggested he stop making jackets, continue to take orders and invest the money in a Seoul wine bar. Lol.
Ah..The "Temple of Jawnz" saga. That seems sooooo long ago.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
This Jacket looks amazing, perfect fit.Im starting to think i need a Fields Jacket now:eek:

It's like an Aero on steroids with the great details on stitching, the nice shinki, modifications you can request and the individual pattern. The only downside is the wait time, if you can wait 9-12 months it's yours to be had

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider