Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Personally I've never been interested in car coats and I don't think I ever will.

But look at the execution of this one. Perfect for showing off Greg's amazing skill as a machinist.

View attachment 430942 View attachment 430943 View attachment 430944 View attachment 430946 View attachment 430945

I love the look of those Art Deco buttons. I sent Greg NOS 30s buttons for my latest project and he liked them so much that he had a company reproduce them in black and brown.

View attachment 430950 View attachment 430951

View attachment 430949 View attachment 430947 View attachment 430948
Very nice coat.

Did you send him the lining? Or is this something Greg offers now? Whats it called? Thanks!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Just checking to see if there’s a FL Michigan with buttons closure instead of zipper? Pic?

Also anyone getting the deerskin? ETA? Colors?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
How did you gents place order for FL? I had trouble paying for it (by Paypal) at check out. I've got an order number now and sent an email to Sam for Bank info. BTW I also couldn't place order using my PC. I am out dated. Had to use my phone.

Grasp loo paper

One of the Regulars
Fellow loungers, I have a jacket coming up with FL, and am thorn between a regular collar or the cafe racer collar any advice? The goal is to have a jacket that I can wear casual and a bit classy too. Temperature around 5-15 degrees Celsius.

If regular collar, I could add a removable fur collar. (I lové fur collar but I think I like the cafe racer collar more than regular collar without fur) it looks weird when a dress shirt is worn under a jacket with regular collar. Which collar would enhance the shoulders? Having sloped shoulders.? Thanks for any input!

Grasp loo paper

One of the Regulars
I think a mouton collar can look great on single breasted jackets like half belts but would look completely off on a cafe racer body. Just my thinking.
Thanks for your reply! Well the idea is a straight zip. I’m not going for the cafe racer body in any case. It’s between the 2 collars. The body will be a single zip short fit (about belt length- and I wear high rise) hand warmers, no chest pockets. Clean tailored back with action back (could add a half belt but leaning towards not at the moment)

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A shirt-shaped collar doesn’t look weird over a collared shirt at all. (Just noticed your other point.)

Shirt-collared jackets are common to a lot of outerwear, including WWII uniforms, which were worn over collared shirts.

Go with a shirt collar, but get a nicely shaped bigger one! (Around 3.5” to the tip)
His standard collars are too conservative and bland IMO.
He can do great ones- look at some 1940s jackets or @JCSD’s jacket for inspo.
Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 7.01.15 AM.png

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Fellow loungers, I have a jacket coming up with FL, and am thorn between a regular collar or the cafe racer collar any advice? The goal is to have a jacket that I can wear casual and a bit classy too. Temperature around 5-15 degrees Celsius.

If regular collar, I could add a removable fur collar. (I lové fur collar but I think I like the cafe racer collar more than regular collar without fur) it looks weird when a dress shirt is worn under a jacket with regular collar. Which collar would enhance the shoulders? Having sloped shoulders.? Thanks for any input!
973075B1-8EBD-4A8F-8E8C-D241F5AB9192.jpeg

How about cossack collar? I also think dress collar is better than mandarin collar. Or just cossack collar. Hard to beat the classic.
So are you basing the jacket on the Idaho? Or is this completely new?

MrProper

I think a mouton collar can look great on single breasted jackets like half belts but would look completely off on a cafe racer body. Just my thinking.

I once tried my shearling vest under a café racer and didn't think it was bad.
BF60FD3C-B486-4CDF-8C5F-57C5EA42C823.jpeg

I lové fur collar but I think I like the cafe racer collar more than regular collar without fur
Why not a CR collar with a button-on fur collar?
Dress shirts go with both mandarin and dress collars, although I find the dress collar fits minimally better.

Grasp loo paper

One of the Regulars
Thank you all for your replies! Love this community! The model is based on the Idaho that will be modified. I did ask for cafe racer collar with fur clip on at the beginning. Greg did not recommend it saying it will crease/damage the collar. So here I am between abandoning the fur clip on or switching to the traditional collar. Indeed it looks okay over a shirt!
What a difficult choice to make haha

MrProper

Greg did not recommend it saying it will crease/damage the collar.
Why should that be the case? It's just a question of construction. If normal buttons are sewn inside below the collar seam and the fur collar goes up parallel to the mandarin collar and only then folds over, I don't see what should speak against it. But of course it needs a few prototypes, which cost time and money. And in view of the order situation, I would also rather wave it off.

Edit:
Funny, by the way, because I'm thinking of putting together a halfbelt with a Mandarin collar.

Grasp loo paper

One of the Regulars
After all the thinking, I’ve decided to go with a regular collar, a little bigger than Greg’s. And also to get the removable fur collar. Was wondering as a last point if you guys have experience with the quilted lining vs heavy cotton? Which would be more suitable? I live in Switzerland, temperature: -2 to 28. Most of the time around 8-15 Celsius. Thank you all for your input!

oskar

One of the Regulars
I can only reccomand the red and black light wool lining that Marc has in its jacket. Its as warm as cotton and looks amazing with black

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko