Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
My Manhattan is breaking in nicely

39C500FB-DE7C-4952-8329-9290A4499FF3.jpeg

Spiney

One of the Regulars
that's amazing. Some water on the sleeves or no?

I need to follow up about mine. Been a couple months since we finalized the fit jacket. If I recall, I think he was falling behind with the brown jackets because there was a shortage of leather.
He has discontinued the brown ponyhide.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
that's amazing. Some water on the sleeves or no?
Good eye, I took it for a spin outside in the drizzle.
If I recall, I think he was falling behind with the brown jackets because there was a shortage of leather.

He has discontinued the brown ponyhide.

From what I've heard he was indeed waiting for another batch to be delivered but that was late August if I remember correctly. He's still offering it but for an upcharge of £200 since it's such a pain in the ass to match the panels.

01EFA8A1-C2F7-4B20-BAA6-3C4BE631F81A.jpeg

Spiney

One of the Regulars
Good eye, I took it for a spin outside in the drizzle.

From what I've heard he was indeed waiting for another batch to be delivered but that was late August if I remember correctly. He's still offering it but for an upcharge of £200 since it's such a pain in the ass to match the panels.

View attachment 458081
I spoke to Sam only last week. She said they won’t be getting any more but will have a different brown leather in the future.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Greg is very serious about the quality of the hide his use. This can cut both ways. Every Field jacket hide is going to look flawless. But only select few lucky gents gets to get brown jackets. I think the number of brown jacket Greg has produced is countable within the two hands, not a lot of them out in the wild since he started the business.
When I ordered my first FL jacket I asked for the mane mark and natural marking and all. And he just said no. Now I see where he is going with his brand I do appreciate what he is trying to do.
For the guys who don't want black Shinki, there is also navy. And I think that's what I might go with when my queue comes up. With some contrast stitch to show off Greg's skills.

BlueSteel

One of the Regulars
After waiting the requisite time, I am pleased to say that Greg is currently working on my bespoke Michigan in blue shinki HH (inspired by/copied from @Tom71 ).

So far the process has been a pleasure, and the extra 100 pounds to get the toile sent to me was well worth it - couple tweaks, including different arm lengths (I have one slightly dropped shoulder), were made possible through this option.

Now I'm eagerly awaiting the finished product!!!

(BTW, I'm pretty pleased that the wait time resulted in a favorable exchange rate shift for me...so the price for 3/4 of the jacket was paid with an exchange rate that was 15% better for me than back when I paid the 300 deposit! Good things come to those who wait, I guess?)

Greg has finished my jacket...and made it "Insta-famous" (lol) by posting pics of it on the Field Leathers Instagram.

I am so thrilled with how it looks - now counting down the days until I get my hands on it!!!

Daniel Veit

One of the Regulars
I just recieved my mock-up and a couple of leather samples to choose from. 3 shades of black and navy-blue.
My particular examples differ in thickness also full aniline black and navy pigment being the thickest at 1.2 - 1.3 mm and both teacore and semianiline pony at 1 mm. The former are feeling more stiff as well.

My questions to the experienced crowd:
1) Is the difference in thickness chracteristic for the repective leathertyps or is it just the individual hide that is different from animal to animal?
2) Once broken in, is there a significant difference between these leathertyps regarding wearability or durability?
3) Something else I didn't thought of?

I have a personal preference regarding the looks but I am a little bit uncertain now as I realise that the leathers seem to be quite different.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20221024_162308.jpg
    IMG_20221024_162308.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20221024_162411.jpg
    IMG_20221024_162411.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I just recieved my mock-up and a couple of leather samples to choose from. 3 shades of black and navy-blue.
My particular examples differ in thickness also full aniline black and navy pigment being the thickest at 1.2 - 1.3 mm and both teacore and semianiline pony at 1 mm. The former are feeling more stiff as well.

My questions to the experienced crowd:
1) Is the difference in thickness chracteristic for the repective leathertyps or is it just the individual hide that is different from animal to animal?
2) Once broken in, is there a significant difference between these leathertyps regarding wearability or durability?
3) Something else I didn't thought of?

I have a personal preference regarding the looks but I am a little bit uncertain now as I realise that the leathers seem to be quite different.
Thanks!
The full aniline black will have the most patina potential. But the initial fit won't look as good as the fit of thinner hides like the teacore. Just my recent discovery. Same pattern on thinner hide and thinner lining make the fit "look" better from day one. But thin hide is thin hide.
There isn't much break in with Shinki. None at all actually. It would depend on which feel and look you like the best. Can't really go wrong with any of these four. Nice to see them all in one setting. Thanks for the pic.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
The thicker full aniline hides will retain creases much better:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/field-leathers.100211/post-2840008

I own both a full aniline and a pony (semi aniline) FL. Unlike Canuck, my experience is that the semi aniline develops much more patina than the full aniline. Similar to Badalassi it darkenes at the edges.

It's already dark outside so these pics were taken under artificial lightning, but you can clearly see patina developing on this semi aniline pony hide.

362BC4B6-0723-4915-AB5C-E0F5FA48534B.jpeg
B25372CE-5C68-44B2-9036-D07091C582EC.jpeg

But the initial fit won't look as good as the fit of thinner hides like the teacore. Just my recent discovery. Same pattern on thinner hide and thinner lining make the fit "look" better from day one. But thin hide is thin hide.

The thicker and/or full aniline hides will hold more creases. More creases = more character = a better looking jacket in my book.

Jaime

One of the Regulars
Hello all! I booked my place in Greg's queue back in June and I know there's still a long way ahead of me, but of course I am already thinking of my future jacket, and I wanted to discuss with you guys what do you think about my idea.

I've always wanted a nice 30s deco cross-chest jacket, Greg has some beautiful examples and after seeing Marc's last jacket I knew that he will do an outstanding job.

Here is my mood board of references, as you can see it's all very classic. I want a nice clean front with a nice pocket disposition, and a classic deco back, not too simple, not too complicated.

front moodboard copy.jpg
back moodboard copy.jpg

I am not an expert in patterns by any means, so the design I've done is completely based on aesthetics, but I hope Greg can get closer to this!

design copy.jpg

What do you guys think? Any suggestions? The type of leather is something I haven't thought about yet, I'll cross that bridge at the time, but I feel like it should be at least on the softer side, nothing heavy.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
My Field Leathers navy shinki Michigan has arrived...and I love it!

View attachment 459879 View attachment 459880
Great jacket great fit. Congrats.

This pattern probably showcase what Greg can do with his machines the best. Just amazing. This was also the pattern I was going for until I saw the Peter's pattern test. I have a thing for Peter's pattern so that will be next. But this triple stitched pattern is still on my list.

Navy Shinki looks like its got good heft. I like that. Enjoy your jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points