Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers

Daniel Veit

One of the Regulars
Full pigment is no option for me. I haven't seen the brown one in the flesh but I find the blue iteration a bit bland, no luster and depth.
I will have to wait until they find a adequate replacement. The brown cow is lovely and I prefer the tone of brown over the shinki but it is a teacore hide.

matchankh

One of the Regulars
Their Scottish moleskin is nice, I use it on most of my custom Aero builds too. But I went with a heavy tweed on my Field leather build because I don't have those yet and wanted to try.

The ponyhide is really nice, has a real nice drape but still dense horsehide feeling. The brown is hard because the semi aniline finish shows all the imperfections. But if going all the way to pigment then the drape would decrease a bit from the stiffer paint. This is a hard one, Greg needs to work with the tannery to figure something out.

Does moleskin run a lot warmer than tartan wool in your experience?

Damon141

Practically Family
Full pigment is no option for me. I haven't seen the brown one in the flesh but I find the blue iteration a bit bland, no luster and depth.
I will have to wait until they find an adequate replacement. The brown cow is lovely and I prefer the tone of brown over the shinki but it is a teacore hide.
I've been back and forth on the navy but what I would really like to see is the Skyway Blue Freewheelers uses, someone will have more info than me on it but I read somewhere that they hand finished their Shinki leather, I'm not sure if that would include color.

Looks different in every light, as most leather does I guess

240D1237-1096-4E1D-8B97-2F47E06214C8.jpeg
0ED8D01C-67F8-4376-84C8-3F07671B5FB3.jpeg
258C5CED-AEC7-4866-A62B-7DA23FCF0F4D.jpeg
077329F8-DABB-4409-9AE2-2EAEA33CE3BE.jpeg
5FAB6548-4A1C-4CD9-8A44-F7E0A492658A.jpeg

Damon141

Practically Family
I don't know if this is suitable for jackets because it doesn't state garments, maybe hides are too small.
39E9AFEE-9BA5-4060-9001-47E10A435F05.png

Daniel Veit

One of the Regulars
Maybe. But as a liner that doesn't matter much. It a dense fabric, no pile to speak and so it doesn't trap much heat.
My lining is a 14 oz. fabric and it seems to be less warm than the lightweight lochcarron tartan in my aero jacket.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Does moleskin run a lot warmer than tartan wool in your experience?
Not really, exactly what Mr Proper said. It would really come down to which look you prefer more than the other.

Locharron wool feels like table linens. Has a slight coarse hand feel. Moleskin feels like a dense flannel shirt, softer hand feel.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know if this is suitable for jackets because it doesn't state garments, maybe hides are too small.
View attachment 508095
I wouldn’t try to reverse engineer hide selection from home. Despite how excited people here get about doing so, it rarely works out.

I’d also add that this doesn’t seem appreciably different from the navy hide that’s currently offered by Field. If you’re trying to find the treated hides used by Freewheelers and others, that reprocessing isn’t done by Shinki itself. This isn’t it.
Possibly a tighter weave?

Sort of. In any case, sounds like a nightmare in Florida!

Damon141

Practically Family
I wouldn’t try to reverse engineer hide selection from home. Despite how excited people here get about doing so, it rarely works out.

I’d also add that this doesn’t seem appreciably different from the navy hide that’s currently offered by Field. If you’re trying to find the treated hides used by Freewheelers and others, that reprocessing isn’t done by Shinki itself. This isn’t it.

Sort of. In any case, sounds like a nightmare in Florida!
I like the lighter shade of blue, reminds me of a Belstaff jacket I once saw but obviously nicer with the depth. I want/wanted to like the Navy Shinki but like others said, it just lacks depth or variations. Different strokes for different folks.

We in Florida like to stay exceptionally warm, tropical people. So I was going to find a company to make a double layer moleskin quilt liner filled with wool, just for anytime it drops below 70 degrees

Aloysius

I want/wanted to like the Navy Shinki but like others said, it just lacks depth or variations. Different strokes for different folks.

Do you actually think so or are you saying this because people on the forum are? You seemed to like the navy not all that long ago.

Not saying this mockingly; it’s just very easy to unconsciously adopt a server opinion!

There’s no shortage of leathers negatively described by the Lounge that I ended up having a very different (positive) experience of in real life.

Damon141

Practically Family
I don't take it mockingly, I guess it just comes down to a change of taste and seeing other leathers that caught my eye. I will never be able to have a huge collection with dozens of jackets so I look at each one as a buy it for life kind of purchase, so I look and look and compare then look some more until I feel like it's something that I will like forever without getting tired of.
I love blue by far my favorite color (my current car and 2 other's were dark blue, I have two Navy blue wallets, a handmade blue leather key fob cover (from Story Leather, check them out for key fob covers, really nice) so I was thinking about the Navy but just after seeing more of them it looks too coated) one of my wallets are coated and so is the leather fob cover, so I'm not against it but if i could have an Aniline blue I would probably choose it. But I'd have to commit to a blue jacket, tough for me to make that decision because I don't have a closet full of other jackets.

Like these two wallets, both are nice Blue but the aniline one is my favorite.
E88F3AE4-877A-4C8F-8FDD-87B4C02EB7A2.jpeg

62CA8A5A-5BF9-4F1E-9898-941C8C43131B.jpeg

Lately I'm really liking Aniline type leathers, not always because I do like pigment coated browns but nothing beats a good aniline finish. That's one good thing about my Himel, it's dyed through and looks different in every light plus it changes depending if its conditioned/moisturized. A bit of a pull up effect.

I'd also really like another jacket maker to come out with the leather Bill Kelso calls Victory Horsehide

2366979A-04F5-4272-B5B0-65024A045916.jpeg

To not derail the thread I'll throw in the Blue lining planned for one of my Field jackets, it will have Tartan body and Blue Viscose sleeves

A2EDC41C-598D-45F4-90A9-2A662183492C.png

6D27DA04-278D-4B2B-99B2-12F8513DEA96.png

I probably posted all these before but whatever, this thread could use some traction
Here is that Moleskin to keep these bones warm next winter
Then the shiny gold viscose in the sleeves again for ease of putting my arms through, plus I like the contrast
E84B7702-1EDA-48F4-BF16-9701F745D748.png

Aloysius

I understand what you’re getting at but worth remembering that most of the beautiful vintage jackets we look at were pigment dyed.

I noticed that Greg hasn’t been posting on social lately, which either means he’s taking a holiday or that he’s too busy making things to log on. Both of them good signs.

Who in the thread has a pending finalized order? I finalized mine recently (was originally approached about it in the autumn but I was too busy at the time).

Damon141

Practically Family
I understand what you’re getting at but worth remembering that most of the beautiful vintage jackets we look at were pigment dyed.

I noticed that Greg hasn’t been posting on social lately, which either means he’s taking a holiday or that he’s too busy making things to log on. Both of them good signs.

Who in the thread has a pending finalized order? I finalized mine recently (was originally approached about it in the autumn but I was too busy at the time).
Very true, seems all the vintage were chrome tanned and pigment dyed. That's why I mentioned that I'm not against pigment and there are so many nice brown pigments. My seats in my car are brown leather, pigment ofcourse. Now after looking at all these amazing leathers, my seats look somehow dull and lifeless. I would have never thought twice about that before

When you say pending finalized order, do you mean paid and waiting?

I have noticed no IG feed, I was also thinking he had a little vacation but then again he seems like the type to announce that. So I would guess busy, he did say that he was making the B3 jackets on his off time which would surely take away free time for posting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk