Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Films amd Filmstrips We Were Shown in Grade (grammar) School.

...Then there were filmstrips. Short slide show things with an audible "beep" that would tell the operator of the projector when to advance to the next slide to keep up with the pre-recorded narration track...
I was in one of those with several other classmates when I was in Junior High/Middle School, some time around 1974-75; it had something to do with the evils of teenage drinking and driving. I have no idea who produced it or what it was called, but in one of the scenarios I played a corpse (the victim of a drunk teenage driver) and accompanied the photographer to the Los Angeles County Coroner's office, where he'd received permission to use one of their actual "meat wagons" for the shoot; I even briefly met (then) Chief Medical Examiner-Coroner Thomas Noguchi. That was a rather interesting day. lol

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I do not remember a single film from school. We did not get to watch many, and I would use that time to day dream about airplanes, motorcycles, and girls, not necessarily in that order!

The Race For Space (1958)
Twenty years later they were still showing this in science class.
When I was in high school in the late 70s one of my U.S. History textbooks had a photo of a steam locomotive near the end of what appeared to be an unfinished section of track, and the caption read, "Railroad will soon span the continent."

On the surface it's somewhat humorous, but after examining the books of some of my classmates it appears I had received the only book like this. It was identical to theirs in every other way, and their books had a different photo with a different caption on that particular page. Also, this photo and it's caption were completely out of context with the subject matter of the chapter in which it was located, so I can only assume it was either a printing error, or a practical joke.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Our World History textbook ended with the coronation of King George VI. I've heard there was a war or something a few years after that -- always wondered how that came out.

Our English literature textbooks throughout high school had been originally printed in 1953. Since there is very literature on the NYS regents exam past 1960, this would have been fine except them had they rebound in softcover our freshman year.

Bad mistake.

It was really sad because although the pages were in good shape (although some of the words had been cut off in the rebinding) the bindings were destroyed by the end of the year- it was simply too thick of a book for such a cheap cover.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I swear we saw Johnny Tremain every year I was in school- one year we saw it three times. We also saw "The Aftermath" a film about a former Olympic athlete who killed several teens and maimed quite a few more while driving drunk at least 5 or 6 times.

We were all somewhat convinced our county's video lending library had only two videos.

One video we saw by accident (ordered the wrong one- probably was trying to order Johnny Tremain) was about a relatively wealthy Loyalist family that was forced to leave their home and all their possessions after the Revolution. It gave a not-so-nice look at how some people on the loosing side were treated by our own government(s) in the U.S. In the end the boy is allowed to keep his pet sheep (a black one) which they tie to their cart as they head to Canada. If anyone knows what this film is called or knows more about it, I would love to know what it is called.

rjb1

Practically Family
We saw films of the type in question on a fairly regular basis, but they must not have been all that useful educationally, since I don't remember anything specific about the vast majority. My only specific memories are of the Bell Science Series films mentioned above.

I wouldn't mind seeing that film/video about the Loyalists even today.

"Our World History textbook ended with the coronation of King George VI. I've heard there was a war or something a few years after that -- always wondered how that came out."
You didn't miss a thing in terms of learning anything about the War, based on my experience. All of us WWII-history enthusiasts eagerly awaited covering that topic in World History, but the semester ran out before we got that far. Same thing happened again in American History... Bah Humbug!

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I swear we saw Johnny Tremain every year I was in school- one year we saw it three times. We also saw "The Aftermath" a film about a former Olympic athlete who killed several teens and maimed quite a few more while driving drunk at least 5 or 6 times.

We were all somewhat convinced our county's video lending library had only two videos.

One video we saw by accident (ordered the wrong one- probably was trying to order Johnny Tremain) was about a relatively wealthy Loyalist family that was forced to leave their home and all their possessions after the Revolution. It gave a not-so-nice look at how some people on the loosing side were treated by our own government(s) in the U.S. In the end the boy is allowed to keep his pet sheep (a black one) which they tie to their cart as they head to Canada. If anyone knows what this film is called or knows more about it, I would love to know what it is called.

I too remember seeing Johnny Tremain in school, the year was 1976.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner