Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filson Mackinaw vs Greenwood

wclary

New in Town
Hi everyone. I am looking for a quality wool coat and am stuck between the Filson Mackinaw Cruiser and Greenwood jacket. If you have any experience with either of these two would you discuss their merits, or compare the two? Thanks!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I am less familiar with the Greenwood but think it is heavy wool lined with moleskin whereas the Mackinaw Cruiser is unlined. The Mackinaw Cruiser and Double Cruiser are both icons and would tend to go with one of those depending on where you live. Since I live in N Texas I bought the Mackinaw Cruiser which is a fantastic product.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I have the Mackinaw Cruiser as well. As Fanch mentioned, it isn't lined - just constructed of very heavy wool. In a way, it is like a heavy wool shirt. I'm a 40 and bought a 38 in the Filson Cruiser. It fits me slim but not restrictive. If I were doing the type of work associated with Filson products, I would probably get a 40 so I could layer more. Sorry that I can't help with the Greenwood.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
@Grayland makes a good point about sizing. I am normally a 42 and bought a 42 Mackinaw Cruiser with which I can layer if needed. A 40 Mackinaw Cruiser also fits me without being restrictive so I would have been happy with a 40 too, although a 40 might be a bit restrictive if layered underneath. @Grayland made a good point of the Mackinaw Cruiser feeling like a very heavy wool shirt. In fact Filson make a fantastic Jac Shirt made from 18 oz wool whereas the Mackinaw Cruiser is made from 24 oz wool. Do I give the impression I am a big time Filson Fanboy? :D

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Good discussion about Filson products here- http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/filson-coats-anyone.87081/.

The preferences for wool thickness, snaps vs. buttons, liner vs. no liner and trim fit vs. trad fit are all your personal preferences. A Mackinaw is my default choice for the selection you offered.

As to style - I am at an age and point in life where I care more about what I enjoy than what others believe I should enjoy. Some choose style, some choose function, Filson allows me not to have to choose between these two, IMHO.

Best, Eric -

IXL

One Too Many
Depending on where one lives, the Double Mack cruiser might be a viable choice. This is what I have for the arctic climes of Oklahoma in the winter. Turning up the collar can really stop the cold winds from being a problem.

I call it my "great coat" even though it is much shorter than the real thing, doesn't look like one, has almost no features of a great coat.......but hey, it's what I got!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW