Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finally lost weight! Here's the rub...

Herzen

One of the Regulars
So after years of half-hearted efforts to lose weight, I finally made one that clicked. I've lost a considerable amount since the first of the year, and while this is an undeniable overall good, there's a problem. Nothing fits me anymore. This includes my hats. A couple of my hats that were always on the snug side still fit alright, but the rest are quite loose on me. Some almost comically so. It's absolutely heartbreaking. If they were vintage I might not feel so bad about selling and replacing them, but all my hats save one are custom and I am very attached to them. They are, for all intents and purposes, irreplaceable to me.

What can I do? What should I do? I've heard of using spacers behind the sweatband, but would that be enough (I can easily fit a finger between my head and the sweat on most hats now)? I would greatly appreciate any advice or recommendations!

Gordon Harlan

New in Town
I wear a size 8. Everyone used to tell me if I cut my hair my hat size would be smaller. Now, what hair hasn't fallen out, is about as short as I can go without cutting it everyday or just shaving my head (not going there). Still a size 8.
Weight loss: I always gained it back, but my braincase stayed the same.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
So after years of half-hearted efforts to lose weight, I finally made one that clicked. I've lost a considerable amount since the first of the year, and while this is an undeniable overall good, there's a problem. Nothing fits me anymore. This includes my hats. A couple of my hats that were always on the snug side still fit alright, but the rest are quite loose on me. Some almost comically so. It's absolutely heartbreaking. If they were vintage I might not feel so bad about selling and replacing them, but all my hats save one are custom and I am very attached to them. They are, for all intents and purposes, irreplaceable to me.

What can I do? What should I do? I've heard of using spacers behind the sweatband, but would that be enough (I can easily fit a finger between my head and the sweat on most hats now)? I would greatly appreciate any advice or recommendations!

Try using the spacers and see what that does for you.

Mystic

Practically Family
I've lost a considerable amount since the first of the year, and while this is an undeniable overall good, there's a problem. Nothing fits me anymore.

About a 1 1/2 years ago I began losing weight for no apparent reason. Not matter what I did or ate would reverse the situation. After losing about 25 pounds. I went to the VA hospital for testing. Been doing all sorts of test for over a year. No answer. I now weigh less than I did in high school.

Not only did I have to buy more clothes, my hats no longer fit. I dropped more than one hat size. I tried every thing to make them fit including convincing myself they were ok looking and fitting "too big".

I finally had to sell them all off ( more than quite a few) and begin rebuilding my collection. All vintage hats. Really hated to get rid of something that may or may not be replaceable ever again.

If you go the spacer route don't leave the spacers in, remove them. In my experience, leaving them in will cause the sweat to buckle and develop ridges. For me spacers just made the hat uncomfortable and stand out from the head. I buzz cut my hair, no "filler material' up there.

You could get in touch with the people that made the hats and ask about a reduction process. I would think that, if possible, it would be cheaper than replacing custom hats.

Anyway, I sympathize with your hat plight. shakeshead

AndyR

One of the Regulars
I've heard of using spacers behind the sweatband, but would that be enough (I can easily fit a finger between my head and the sweat on most hats now)? I would greatly appreciate any advice or recommendations!

Congrats on the weight loss, but sorry about the hats. I would not have expected the weight loss to change a head size so much.

Definitely try the spacers. I did, but they didn't work. I recently ordered a Panama hat in the wrong size and I was able to fit a finger under the sweat like you described. I had to put them all the way around to try to make it fit.

Not only did the hat look bad, but it was uncomfortable. Now that was a Panama...maybe it would work better on other types of hats that are a bit more stiff? Good luck.

Andy

Herzen

One of the Regulars
I expected to have to buy new pants, shirts, etc., but it never occurred to me (foolish, perhaps) that things like hats, rings, shoes would also cease to fit. I have lost over 110lbs and it has altered my appearance considerably. This is the closest I have to a before/after:
6b902af04d28ea309f1aacf43e5d245b.jpg

I will try the spacers and hope for the best I guess... I have an order on queue with Black Sheep Hatworks, so at least I can get refitted for that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I have come across vintage hats that were way too big for me, but the price and awesomeness of the hat impelled me to buy them anyway. I used some small diameter foam insulation tape that worked reasonably well.

But here's a thought for you. I don't know how many you have but you can have a hatter resize them down. I had Northwest hats do this to a number of mine and you would never know that wasn't the original size. True it will cost you some, but it would be cheaper than getting new ones.

fedoralover

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I have come across vintage hats that were way too big for me, but the price and awesomeness of the hat impelled me to buy them anyway. I used some small diameter foam insulation tape that worked reasonably well.

But here's a thought for you. I don't know how many you have but you can have a hatter resize them down. I had Northwest hats do this to a number of mine and you would never know that wasn't the original size. True it will cost you some, but it would be cheaper than getting new ones.

fedoralover

+1

Herzen

One of the Regulars
Thank you all for the kind words and advice. I really do appreciate it. I keep reminding myself that no matter the little inconveniences it was definitely worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Congrats on your successful self improvement project!

As to your hats, I would contact each custom maker and seek options. These solutions might all be different due to materials and manufacturing methods. For instance, an Akubra could be wetted and worn with a high likelihood of shrinking to a newly perfect fit while others might be damaged by this process. You might get some great answers from these hatters. Reblocking might be an option which would cost, but still allow you the connection to the hats which you treasure. Like you, they would be a bit different and yet the same.

I wish you success with your health and hats!

Fed

coble

A-List Customer
bob Jessee of Blacksheep Hatworks is a good friend of mine. Since you have a hat bob Jessee is going to make for you, ask him to see if he can reblock them to your now size, it may cost some but I don't see why you can't reblock them. That is my option. Yes that does mean a complete rebuild but he's an excellent hatter I don't see why he couldn't do that for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo