Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finally, the Perfecto

MKB

New in Town
Finally figured out the posting pics thing (kinda). Thrifted this mid- to late 70s brown Perfecto One Star a month ago for $15. The condition is very good to excellent. The stars had been removed, but Gail at Schott was kind enough to send me a pair of replacements to bring it back to its former glory. She said that the brown color was more popular in Europe than the US, therefore it was discontinued, although they're currently offering a vintage version through Barney's New York. My wife is now the proud owner of this bad boy. One size bigger and she never would have gotten her hands on it...
0109002108-1.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
That is a very good find. I remember when you first posted about finding it. I "need" a Vintage Perfecto to add to my small collection of motorcycle jackets. Something like this gives me an added incentive to look a little harder. Thanx for the pix.

ron521

One of the Regulars
I can say from personal experience that Schott jackets are quite tough.
I scored a nice 618 on craigslist for $45, but deals like that are very rare, more often they sell for $150 or more if they're in decent shape.

Well done.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I got one off eBay a few months ago,too. Most of the tag was ripped off,but I could tell it was likely a Schott from the 70's. Sure enough,when it came,there was the little "Schott" nametag on that small flapped pocket on the front. I paid $25 for it.

MKB

New in Town
Thanks for the comments and kind words, guys. Yeah, it was one of those classic jaw-dropping moments when I saw the Perfecto label. In a perfect world, I guess it would have been black, not brown, but, overall, I think that brown ages and distresses better than black. And my wife loves the brown, so, really, who am I to say.

Edward

Bartender
Did you move the stars further to the middle than they were originally, or was that a change that Schott made themselves on the later jackets, reflecting Brando's Strabler jacket, a 618 modified to look like the earlier 613(?) with the addition of stars in the middle of the epaulettes? (The original 40s One Star had the stars closer the outside edge, if memory serves).

MKB

New in Town
The epaulets still had faint outlines of the original stars,as well as the original holes for attaching (10 for each star!), and those are what I used for the replacements, so this is what the jacket looked like when new.

Edward

Bartender
MKB said:
The epaulets still had faint outlines of the original stars,as well as the original holes for attaching (10 for each star!), and those are what I used for the replacements, so this is what the jacket looked like when new.

10?? Jinkies, I've never seen an aftermarket star stud with more than two! Those are't going anywhere (makes you wonder how the originals got off... maybe an earlier owner didn'tg care for the look?). Schott must have fit them there for the Strabler look.

Did you snap any photos of the studs before they went on?

MKB

New in Town
Ed, those original stars must have removed by a previous owner; there's no way they could have just fallen off.
I wish they only had two attachment points. The thing is, the epaulets are two layers of leather, stitched at the edges. When the original stars were put on, they were attached to a single layer of leather, before it was doubled up. I had to work through both layers, starting with making pilot holes with a needle. Took a bit of tweaking, but I'm happy with the result. These stars won't just fall off.

Star- showing points
0113001316b.jpg

Underside of epaulet
0113001314.jpg

Bnuldun

New in Town
Dis 'gon be one hell of a necro bump, but who here knows the exact size of the studs Schott use on their jackets? Were they 20mm or what? I'm trying to buy some studs from eBay and need to know what size to order. I'm getting a Straight to Hell Commando leather jacket, by the way. Should be here Wednesday or Thursday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot