Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Claybertrand

One Too Many
@dudewuttheheck and I spoke with Larry McKaughan at a recent vintage show in NYC and the subject of police jackets came up. He said they are not popular among collectors. Mainly because they are heavy and cumbersome. The leather on some of these police style jackets are sometimes too heavy and won’t be comfortable for many people for casual wear.

$740 is high end for this jacket imo. If it were 40’s I could see this range and maybe even more. Some of the older Star Gloves are super cool.
Interesting.
Just my 2 Cents---
Not every jacket in ANY style is going to be perfect for daily wear. I think if you are collecting, every jacket style sorta has its place---at least for me. That said, I only have 3 police jackets. One of the three is a truly comfy one because its well broken in. One is too small and the other is a larger sized tank. I do have many many many more non police jackets though. This is likely the overall point Mr. McKaughan was making---that police jackets---relative to other styles--are not the most popular.

I just feel like there are some really cool old police jackets out there that are worthy of a spot in a collection and if you can find them--they are worth having. My fave cop jacket is a straight zip old Cal labeled as some uniform company in San Francisco. I don't like when they have been patched and have patch holes---So it makes the hunt harder to find those that have been used but not patched. I HAVE seen others post that cop jackets are not desirable to them. Some don't like the badge holders etc. Different Strokes I suppose.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I'm also speculating here, but I'm guessing police jackets are just not going to be as desirable as more "rebellious" civilian models.

Let's be honest, do people want to be Marlon Brando or do they want to be the law? That may have nothing to do with it, but I've always thought about it with the police jackets.

jeo

One Too Many
I think it is also because this particular one is too big a size for Japanese market. 47 inch chest guys in Japan are usually not of typical body shape and require custom jacket from like Langlitz.
This also late model Star Glove BIN price is around 1000 usd. This one has been around for a long time but in a smaller shorter size.
I'd consider buying it if the price is lower.
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e1067031269
This one has been on Yahoo Auction for even longer. IMO the price for this size(measurement) also means it is not going to be easy to sell in Japan.
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e1039960298

There was a late model straight zip in Taiwan like the one on Rakuma but in a smaller size sold for slightly less than USD 700. I had been eyeing it for a while but I was not sure about the leather condition. It looks too dry and there may be cracks in some areas.

I’ve seen that smaller one. That one isn’t too big for the Japanese market and it’s been on forever. Tells you that even the Japanese don’t think it should fetch that high. Measurements look like they would work for me. I’d be a buyer but at the $500-$600 range, not the $1000 range.

Interesting.
Just my 2 Cents---
Not every jacket in ANY style is going to be perfect for daily wear. I think if you are collecting, every jacket style sorta has its place---at least for me.
Agreed.

That said, I only have 3 police jackets. One of the three is a truly comfy one because its well broken in. One is too small and the other is a larger sized tank. I do have many many many more non police jackets though. This is likely the overall point Mr. McKaughan was making---that police jackets---relative to other styles--are not the most popular.
He said they’re not that popular but you’re right, he likely meant not as popular. I don’t necessarily agree with him. I love the style and think they’re super cool jackets.

I just feel like there are some really cool old police jackets out there that are worthy of a spot in a collection and if you can find them--they are worth having. My fave cop jacket is a straight zip old Cal labeled as some uniform company in San Francisco. I don't like when they have been patched and have patch holes---So it makes the hunt harder to find those that have been used but not patched. I HAVE seen others post that cop jackets are not desirable to them. Some don't like the badge holders etc. Different Strokes I suppose.

I actually like the badge holders. IMO it adds to the design, especially if it’s a cool shape. There’s a very cool old Block Bilt cop jacket that I think is still for sale in the classifieds section (and for the life of me I don’t understand why) and it has a very unique and cool elongated vertical hexagon shape for the badge holder. I’d buy it in a heartbeat if it were my size.

Destruct

Familiar Face
Cal tagged as "Women's leather biker jacket"... That's all, title and description. Seller asks $90, in Santa Barbara, CA. FB Marketplace
340817127_6189542874442038_2912243551469488506_n.jpg

*Sofa and floor not included.
This is so disappointing. I just moved away from Santa Barbara. :(

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
@dudewuttheheck and I spoke with Larry McKaughan at a recent vintage show in NYC and the subject of police jackets came up. He said they are not popular among collectors. Mainly because they are heavy and cumbersome. The leather on some of these police style jackets are sometimes too heavy and won’t be comfortable for many people for casual wear.

$740 is high end for this jacket imo. If it were 40’s I could see this range and maybe even more. Some of the older Star Gloves are super cool.
Did he mention which jackets collectors are looking for?

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm also speculating here, but I'm guessing police jackets are just not going to be as desirable as more "rebellious" civilian models.

Let's be honest, do people want to be Marlon Brando or do they want to be the law? That may have nothing to do with it, but I've always thought about it with the police jackets.
I kinda like the big heavy-in-your-face police jackets when the mood hits and nothing projects it better than a Star. Star Glove went out in 1947

jeo

One Too Many
Did he mention which jackets collectors are looking for?
No but when I spoke with him at Inspiration he told me he’s gotten rid of all his leather jackets throughout the years except for one that he’s kept for his own collection. And this is the guy that owned half the jackets in all the Tanaka books including Leathertogs, Peter’s, you name it. This is the jacket.

IMG_9253.jpeg

He said he’s never seen another one. He said it’s 30’s and probably a one off custom from a small shop. I told him it looks west coast and he smiled at me and nodded. It has a corduroy lining just like a Peter’s, but he doesn’t think it was made by them. He has it priced for an obscene amount of money and said he’ll be ok if it never sells.

So I guess that’s what collectors are looking for, rare jackets.

Bluechel

Practically Family
I guess there is a very big gap between pure collectors, who have an eye on scarcity and rarity, and getting a big check someday, and those of us that are collectors for our closet for a change of pace on any given weekend. To each his own, for most of us, there’s probably a little tiny piece of each

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I guess there is a very big gap between pure collectors, who have an eye on scarcity and rarity, and getting a big check someday, and those of us that are collectors for our closet for a change of pace on any given weekend. To each his own, for most of us, there’s probably a little tiny piece of each
I agree. To 99.9% of the population this jacket would not be out of place on some homeless dude. To a serious collector, though, this is gold. Like the super-early pair of Levi's that recently went for over $100,000 if memory serves. Same thing.

Ignore this, nothing to see here. Move along now. I asked the seller for a bin. Just like Phil Collins, I got no reply at all. This is my jacket, but in a size I can wear.
IMG_1785.jpeg

I might go to war for it. Not sure yet. I am also inclined to believe this is a 44" based on the measurements. Mine had the 42" tag and measured smaller.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt