Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

In other words - all make high biddings for one and that one is paying for that for all finally. Well, there isn't too much sense for any buyer in that case, is it?

Three little magical letters — BIN. Then the thread leaves no doubt as to its usefulness.

Though I have posted auctions with low starting points and then considered what you said. To me, it’s worth it, especially if the listings have inaccurate descriptions, etc. Finding these can be tedious. Of course, if I really want it then I have a decision to make.

Edit:: Also, if the seller is obviously a TFL member (sometimes I can tell and new folks are added to my mental Rolodex often) then I won’t post. It’s either in the classifieds and if not I respect that it isn’t.

We can’t all have our eyes on eBay, Etsy and other sites all day every day to catch every deal out there. I appreciate it when others post jackets that may not fit them but may fit me. And I’ve posted at least two jackets here that were too large for me but other Loungers bought for themselves. Personally, I’m glad to help others score deals.

Yep, this.

Most people will, for the most part, focus only on seeking out something specific, some style that someone else, who's after something else entirely, will most likely miss out on even though might've otherwise found it interesting. Happens to me all the time.

Other than typing in "leather jacket" into eBay or Etsy and going through 10,000 results every day, it just isn't possible to keep an eye out on everything people put up for sale.

I've seen at least 10 jackets posted in this thread I wanted to buy, I never would've stumbled across myself. Like the jacket @handymike just posted. Never in a million years would I have found that one on my own and immediately I was frantically looking for a BIN the moment the page loaded (lucikly, it'd been too small). On top of that, Etsy offered me a whole other set of cool jackets as something I might be interested in, which also never would've happen with my regular eBay saved searches, which are "Vanson jacket", "leather trucker jacket" and a few others.

Good stuff often flies under the radar, jackets that you weren't even aware of existed.

And another crucial thing is that eBay.com often won't display results from another countries.
People from the US often don't see UK based listings. Same as .de auctions don't even register anywhere else, even though German sellers would gladly ship international. I've bought a few jackets that only turned up on ebay.de and nowhere else.

But the point is, this thread is simply about sharing a passion for these stupid leather things.

Last edited:

Gamma68

One Too Many
Some of the attitudes expressed in this thread are rather disappointing.

So let me get this straight. If there's an online deal on a jacket that might interest someone, don't share it. With anyone. Keep it to yourself.

These attitudes are based on some false assumptions:

1. If it's posted at a a steal price, it's flying under the radar no one else has seen it. (I've got news. If it's on eBay or Etsy, it's exposed to the world marketplace.)

2. Hey, if it's online, no need to share. We're all capable of finding stuff ourselves. (Unless you're retired and have all kinds of time to do nothing but scour eBay and Etsy, you're not likely to see EVERY item at any given moment. Particularly on jackets listed outside the USA.)

3. If I share it on this forum, the price will inevitably be driven up because suddenly everybody will want what I want! (Some people will want it, some people won't. Depends on size, condition, scarcity, whether or not it fills a hole in my collection, seller's feedback rating, shipping charges, etc.)

This stance of "don't share it cuz someone else might see it and drive the price up" smacks of narcissism and a hoarding mindset.

Will the price be driven up? Sure, sometimes. But it's a free and open marketplace, folks. If you want a jacket, only you can determine the amount you want to spend. If someone wants to spend more than you, that's a tough break. The market determines a jacket's value.

So if I find a deal that might interest someone else, I'm not supposed to share it. Ya'll can just find it yourselves. That's the kind of mindset that really shouldn't belong in this forum. If you don't like this thread, no one is forcing you to participate in it.

Way to throw a wet blanket on a great thread that frankly should have been launched years ago.

Last edited:

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
looks like a Bootlegger, Black CXL nice big size..Seller listed with spelling errors in the title so it may not have shown up in a Search of Aero Leather Jacket.

upload_2019-5-1_10-45-1.png

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Without re-reading the original post, I thought this thread was about leather jacket deals, to me, that implies a BIN price that is perceived as a bargain. Jackets post as auctions do not qualify as deals, the price is not determined until the auction expires. Posting BIN jackets do not drive up the price, the price is stated with the BIN. I will not post items that do not have a BIN, so I will not be driving the price upon any jackets I post here.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Without re-reading the original post, I thought this thread was about leather jacket deals, to me, that implies a BIN price that is perceived as a bargain. Jackets post as auctions do not qualify as deals, the price is not determined until the auction expires. Posting BIN jackets do not drive up the price, the price is stated with the BIN. I will not post items that do not have a BIN, so I will not be driving the price upon any jackets I post here.
It's FINDS and deals. So if you find something desirable it still counts even it's an auction.

Regarding price, if you want a low price for a jacket you found, buy it, don't post it here. If it's not for you but might interest someone else, share it. Maybe someone will share one that you might not have seen. It all works out.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

We are all friends here :)...but on ebay. if we're the same size:
we-are-not-friends.gif

(unless you buy what I'm selling)...:D

I understand the auction debate but if you approach it from the perspective of a find vs. a steal then it's totally OK. Nobody is walking out with a .99¢ Aero or Vanson or anything in this day and age. It's been mentioned in other threads that perhaps the vintage/custom leather jacket phenomenon is fading but I personally find the opposite to be true. It's experiencing a quantum boom as one can plainly see here: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...ny-potential-ones.89562/page-222#post-2543789 Prices bear that out too:mad:
22 pages and 4,423 posts in 2 years.:confused: Just say'n. I believe if started in 2010 and it were 2012 that thread might not have 5 pages.

But I don't have the time stone so I can't prove it, but I damn near hit all the stone colors in this post. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points