Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Monitor, Mar 26, 2019.

1. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 My Mail is Forwarded Here

I asked about these - and Facebook put this out to me: Please follow local guidelines about physical distancing and staying home during COVID-19. Learn More

So I doubt anyone but the surrouding area can buy these. Maybe Alan wants them...?

2. Carlos840

Carlos840 My Mail is Forwarded Here

It means Long size.
    As soon as you ask for extra length you get it, the problem is that there is no standard Long, ie you get the same L tag whether you asked for 0.5" extra length or 2" extra length.

ton312 likes this.
  3. Kubatu

Kubatu Familiar Face

I think that is just an automated message Facebook sends out when you first start a marketplace conversation. I have gotten it when asking local sellers near me for information. If anything, shipping across the country would be much less of a risk for COVID since there would be no meeting up at all. As long as the seller is willing to ship (and they might not be, to be fair), I think they should be available to non-locals. Could be wrong, though!

4. ton312

ton312

Exactly. I knew it meant added length but I can’t use a jacket with 28” sleeves and back length, especially in that config. Didn’t look overly long in the pics but the neck hole looked really wide. Like the 44” SB I had that was really a 48”. So I wondered how close to a 44” it actually is. Snooze ya lose.

5. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie One Too Many

I looked into that style before and it runs smaller than the Suburban. The 44 Ryder prob fits like a 42 Suburban based on the measurements I have seen.

6. ton312

ton312

I always take LW sizing with a grain of salt. He asks your height and weight and then builds one off those responses. He does seem to get it right most of the time. I suspect you are right though. I had a 48” and it fit more like a true 46”. I should’ve moved on it. Still burns. Hopefully it’s 30” back of collar to hem with 29” sleeves. LOL.

jacketjunkie likes this.
  7. TheOldFashioned

TheOldFashioned One Too Many

8. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hat Tip to you @TheOldFashioned! I just bought this jacket. I've never seen a Mid-Western Sportogs jacket like this and I've seen a lot. I had to have this one. I sold my Thrulow Deerskin. I live in North Central Illinois, certainly called the Midwest. This is too cool, hard to see this as a buy and fly.

9. TheOldFashioned

TheOldFashioned One Too Many

I almost tagged you, Terry, because I thought it might be something right up your alley as soon as I saw it. If it had been my size I would have jumped on it immediately, but too big so sharing the wealth. It looks like a really comfortable easy wearing jacket. I hope it works for you!

Zoo, jonbuilder and tmitchell59 like this.
  10. tmitchell59

Thanks for thinking of me! Mid Western Sportogs go back to the late 30s. I've the oldest jackets in leathers other than Deerskin. W.B. Place also made jackets of different hides in the late 30s/40s. By the 50s era seems everything is deerskin. Mid Western on occassion did some rather interesting jackets, they did a ton of "standard" issue out of their catalog. I have not seen this pattern which seems to represent a Cafe Racer/Racing Shirt quite clearly. This label, this look is early mid 60s. I have one of their fuzzy lined vest from this era.

AeroFan_07, Zoo, jonbuilder and 3 others like this.
  11. jonesy86

jonesy86 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Nice catch T.

tmitchell59 likes this.
  12. tmitchell59

I had help. this thread is like having another set of eyes. I have bought several jackets off tips here.

I've got couple of others coming in. It has been a good couple of months. Think I'm the only one buying. I'm looking forward to this one.

jonbuilder and jonesy86 like this.
  13. Robbie79

Robbie79 One Too Many

marker2037 and North_Star like this.
  14. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Practically Family

The distressing on this jacket looks quite good, convincing. I wonder how they achieve such an effect. Sandblasting, blow torching?

15. Robbie79

Robbie79 One Too Many

I think this is an original 1930's one which was not treated (just normal aging after 80-90 years) but here are vintage experts who can judge this better than I can do.

16. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Practically Family

I think einsteins original jacket would have been made in the USA. Levis LVC) made these reproductions a few years ago.

Mich486 likes this.
  17. Imuricecreamman

Imuricecreamman Practically Family

Pretty famously used by Daniel Craig as James Bond.

[​IMG]

Seems like Tom Cruise also has worn one.

[​IMG]

And Johnny Depp :D

[​IMG]

Marc mndt likes this.
  18. l0fielectronic

l0fielectronic Practically Family

No, this is definately the LVC release, as sort of mentioned, see the 'Made in Italy' tag.

I picked one of these up for a good price last year, it was a nice jacket but it did feel like you would have to be careful when you wore it. Areas of it felt a little weak due to the distressing and I didn't want a leather jacket that I would feel like I had to be cautious when wearing it so I sold it on.

I actually had a tan suede version they did too, that felt a lot more solid but the sizing on that wasn't right for me so that went too.

Robbie79 likes this.
  19. Robbie79

Robbie79 One Too Many

Thanks for your feedback and explanations. I just wonder why the bidding price is so high....

20. RockSolid

RockSolid One of the Regulars

Hey, found this, seems vintage but no idea what it is, conmar zipper which need replacement, i like it but guy asking 1000e :eek:
    It looks like a AMC sportswear from the Rin Tanaka book
    Any thoughts?
    05d6d_VAcNEnBDLjnnvEXgquhiLDhg.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    Jin431 and Mich486 like this.