Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Monitor, Mar 26, 2019.

1. ton312

ton312

Bingo! There certainly is some very 80’s Bates stuff floating around. The classic designs though are splendid. I loved this CR, which was a size too small but just so cool.
    B1CA3C14-7A19-4272-BD3B-0E34AE819917.jpeg

2. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Monitor, AbbaDatDeHat and dannyk like this.
  3. dannyk

dannyk One Too Many

I wish there was some real way to tell how much of an impact his books had on the market. It would be fascinating. And even if hypothetically it was a huge amount and we can blame him for all our problems haha I still appreciate his work and still have bought like 7 of them and will continue collecting them. As a vintage collector and someone who appreciates history I do have a soft spot for him and his works. Its probably psychological like his work justifies my obsessions. I can point to his books and say see its not just me, I told you! haa.

4. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

I like the point about Tanaka's books. Most of the Bates pictured are pure racing jackets, and very colorful gear at that. I do recall the Terminator being pictured, but in a very unflattering photo. When I think Bates I think of the vintage jackets they have posted on their website. That old Highwayman is perfection. That particular photo in a Tanaka book may have changed perspectives. Are they as undervalued in the Japanese market?

ton312 likes this.
  5. ton312

ton312

I sold my 2nd or 3rd Bates HWM (no belt, not faux mouton collar) for $350 at auction on ebay at some point 10 or so years ago to a Japanese buyer.

JMax likes this.
  6. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

That is still crazy low. Well, at least we currently can stock up at very affordable prices.

7. Gamma68

Gamma68 One Too Many

Nice jackets above, but I thought this was the "finds and deals" thread? $1000-jackets are not deals, unless it's the original jacket Brando wore in "The Wild One."

8. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie One Too Many

Yeah. Don't turn this into a second "jackets owned by others I like" thread.

dannyk likes this.
  9. ton312

ton312

There are very few "deals" left to be found in this hobby. The online awareness of this sport has all but killed that possibility. The term "deal" is totally relative to one's budget but I'd say on the whole anything worth having is not going to come up cheap....not very likely, not anymore.

sweetfights, Mich486 and HoosierDaddy like this.
  10. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

To me, any Real McCoys in excellent condition at or under $1000 is a deal :p.

edit: I will refrain from posting any more cool jackets for sale...
    (I've removed the offensively priced jackets)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    tmitchell59 likes this.
  11. Gamma68

Gamma68 One Too Many

I picked up my Walter Dyer naked cowhide CR off eBay about 7 months ago for less than $25. I posted a listing for someone selling a Kehoe CR a few days ago for $49 or offer. Deals are still out there. This thread just may not be updated 6x per day, if we stick to posting true “deals.”

TheOldFashioned likes this.
  12. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 My Mail is Forwarded Here

I do agree certain jackets are a great deal even at 1K. I do not agree you should refrain from posting cool jackets for sale.

I agree there a lots of bargains out there. I'm wearing one!

[​IMG]

13. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

AbbaDatDeHat, dannyk and Gamma68 like this.
  14. TheOldFashioned

TheOldFashioned One Too Many

There's probably a fair amount of truth to both these sentiments. The internet, smart phones, apps, WiFi/4G...the ability to always be connected and watching has has leveled the playing field and made it more difficult to find a great deal.

That being said, sometimes serendipity smiles down on you. I happen to be the beneficiary of @Gamma68 post regarding the aforementioned Kehoe. I had just lost an auction maybe an hour prior for an old gold label Brooks, got a useless answer from another seller on a different one, only to come here and find his post. Clicked the link and find it's my size, and half off...hell that's a no brainer. I couldn't click BIN fast enough.

Sure it's not a vintage Buco J-100, nor is it a modern Thedi masterpiece. Maybe it's not a grail jacket. Could I live without it? Absolutely. But I can also say without hesitation that it's exactly what I've been looking for for several months. Dimensions seem like should it should be a great, tight fit. Color is perfect. And it's Michigan made (where I originally hail from) from Detroit's leather heyday. It ticks all the boxes, and at a price I don't think anyone could argue was not a deal.

So they do exist, though perhaps fewer and farther between then we'd like. But if they were more common then it would ruin the excitement of when you actually stumble upon one.

15. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

16. ProteinNerd

ProteinNerd My Mail is Forwarded Here

Please keep posting the links guys.... this is a "deals" thread, not a necessarily a "steals" thread so they don't have to be dirt cheap.....just a good price imo

17. Gamma68

Gamma68 One Too Many

18. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

On the other side of the spectrum, in the last week or two ebay has been flooded by a handful (or one) Japanese seller listing a ton of jackets that are stupidly high priced.

There's also what appears to be the DD Buco reproduction sold here now listed for $2,200...Ebay's becoming too cluttered.

ton312, Monitor and JMax like this.
  19. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

20. Gamma68

Gamma68 One Too Many