Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There aren't many jackets that won't fit in a large flat rate box. A large flat rate runs $21.10 retail and is actually a bit less when buying through Ebay's system since they get commercial discounts. In general though I'd just count whatever shipping you see as part of the purchase price. If the price including shipping charged (regardless of if that amount makes sense) is good then it's still worth it.

what do you guys think on this one. Swears it's a Cal, but no tag. I'm waiting on pics of measurements to be sure, but would fit me perfect assuming his numbers are right. Also trying to work on the shipping price because that seems extreme:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124426210385?ul_noapp=true

Isn’t this @regius jacket in the classifieds?

I owned one like this (possibly this one). Awesome Cal.

$97 to Europe is not a total rip off. A bit high but when I ship to Europe it comes out to around $75. And I do what I can to get the item through customs lol. I wouldn’t use ebays international shipping program either.

jonbuilder

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Lee-Tr...892514?hash=item3feda412a2:g:fmgAAOSwkYpfqwOk

s-l1600.jpg
I am not keen on leather trucker jackets and I like this one

jonbuilder

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
There aren't many jackets that won't fit in a large flat rate box. A large flat rate runs $21.10 retail and is actually a bit less when buying through Ebay's system since they get commercial discounts. In general though I'd just count whatever shipping you see as part of the purchase price. If the price including shipping charged (regardless of if that amount makes sense) is good then it's still worth it.

Agree. I have bought a few jackets that cost less than the shipping. I don't mind - I count it as the jacket price and they are still bargains.

jonbuilder

$97 to Europe is not a total rip off. A bit high but when I ship to Europe it comes out to around $75. And I do what I can to get the item through customs lol. I wouldn’t use ebays international shipping program either.
I believe it is the jacket that Jmax owned and sold to me and I resold on eBay. Nice jacket trim tapper to the waist lighter leather than earlier Cals I own

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
LOL, it's coming full circle. Is it 22.5 ptp and 18.5 shoulder from what you remember? I asked for photos but haven't come yet. Wonder why it's moving so much. Actually starting to creep me out.

someone mentioned shipping to Europe. I'm in Los Angeles. $97 huh? I mean a good earth quake might send me out to Asia, but I'm still part of USA for time being. I get 50 lbs of dog food shipped out each month and pay $85 all in for the food and shipping, so no way shipping can be that much.

regius

That’s my jacket yes, stupid eBay auto shipping. I always inform bidder to wait for my final invoice. Fortunately TooManyHats realized it’s me so now we are talking here

dannyk

One Too Many
Cant think of where to put this question and Im not going to make it, its own thread since its not that important. If I get it answered it would become a find anyway, and we often talk measurements here...ha. I have a friend who loves Vintage Biker jackets but doesnt really know sh*t about them. All he knows is that in modern sizing hes about a size 48* (Originally had thought 44, updated to reflect 46-48ish. has anyone here owned a "One Star" from the 50s-60s or know enough about them to tell me what size approximately he would be from that era? I dont have his measurements asking for them but dont know if I will get them. All I know is that he says hes tried 4-5 of them over the years and cant get them zipped up. He really wants one and knows Im in the game so to speak so I told him I would keep my eyes open. Thanks anyone with any info in advance!

Last edited:

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Cant think of where to put this question and Im not going to make it, its own thread since its not that important. If I get it answered it would become a find anyway, and we often talk measurements here...ha. I have a friend who loves Vintage Biker jackets but doesnt really know sh*t about them. All he knows is that in modern sizing hes about a size 48* (Originally had thought 44, updated to reflect 46-48ish. has anyone here owned a "One Star" from the 50s-60s or know enough about them to tell me what size approximately he would be from that era? I dont have his measurements asking for them but dont know if I will get them. All I know is that he says hes tried 4-5 of them over the years and cant get them zipped up. He really wants one and knows Im in the game so to speak so I told him I would keep my eyes open. Thanks anyone with any info in advance!
he should get an accurate ptp and shoulder measurement. of course remember to pad for the leather and what kind of fit he wants. i.e. my chest is about 42.5, so I usually go ptp 22.5 to 23.5 (both x2 for the chest size) max for looser fit. That is infallible and won't matter what the jacket tag says. And of course you need to make sure people giving you the measurement is right, so have them send photos of the measurment not just tell you, so you can see whether the tape is in the right place, is the jacket zipped, etc.

back and sleeve length obviously important, but if the main issue is not zipping up the jacket, it's all about the p2p. shoulder to some extent, but usually the shoulder will be in proportion to the ptp.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
^^
Beer gut (pardon my directness) could also be part of the issue of not zipping up. Hard to say without waist measurement. I would say for V-shaped jackets like a lot of biker jackets, waist measurement is critical.

dannyk

One Too Many
Totally agree with all points. The issue is....he lives in the UK and Im US....and were not that close. Were part of the same group and social movements. Close enough to chat and call one another friends...but not sure if I said hey go measure yourself and get me all that info he would do it ha. Just looking for the breakdown if someone more versed in Schott history knew how the sizes changed over the years so I could guide him a little closer to his destination. But all good info and thansk guys

Claybertrand

One Too Many

I would add that the "GAME BOARD BOX" is one of the dimensions of the LARGE FLAT RATE boxes that you can use and IMO is the best box to ship MOST jackets with minimal folding (IF you are choosing the USPS Flat Rate shipping). Most of the time, I need to ask for them specifically as they are not always there in the display with the other boxes at the Post Office. Basically, its like a larger Monopoly box so MOST jackets can be zipped, folded lengthwise once, and slipped in the box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto