Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

This is painful. Literally the most boring, plain, style-lacking leather jacket ever created in the history of leather jacket and yet you know someone's gonna buy it. Just look at it! It's as if whoever designed it spent years toning down, killing, suffocating every bit of design that might have turned out fun. It's an achievement in plainness. It should hang in a museum as a piece depicting manifested death of creativity. $1200+ for a stealth suit because nobody is going to see, let alone notice you wearing this.

Leather Walker

Practically Family
Sears G-1 style jacket, 48T size, $20 OBO.
s-l1600.jpg

Raul

One of the Regulars
In General, a frayed pin side zipper tape is a ticking time bomb. ...snip...
SO---IMHO---when dealing with Main Zip Tape issues or multiple missing teeth etc.----CAVEAT EMPTOR.

Agree, I just had the same bad experience with an old conmar, I tried to fix it like a member here successfully did a few years ago but in my case it didn't work, after removing the pin, sewing and gluing the tape (it seemed a nice work) and putting the pin on again the zipper didn't work anymore, so I finally had to replace it with a new YKK zipper (replacing only the male side didn't work too) but at least I was able to keep the original conmar slider that works in the YKK:
I6DCTS6.jpg

Anyway, after my failed fix I found on another forum that a guy used a cheap chinese UV glue like this one to fix its zipper tape and it worked, surely better than my sewing+superglue. Maybe if used at first sign of fraying it can avoid the complete failure of the zipper. Anyway I just bought one just in case...
Wq8As28.jpg

I'd avoid most Leather Shop stuff like a plague. At some point, they switched to plasticized split hide, like this jacket. That stuff is horrendous. It flakes off exposing what is the most dreadful suede you can imagine. Doesn't crease, too. Excelled did it as well. If it's hard to tell from the photo what kind of leather was used, best to skip on it.

Bahabp100

Practically Family
52D15D66-A64C-4A14-A530-77EF21EE1112.jpeg
I'd avoid most Leather Shop stuff like a plague. At some point, they switched to plasticized split hide, like this jacket. That stuff is horrendous. It flakes off exposing what is the most dreadful suede you can imagine. Doesn't crease, too. Excelled did it as well. If it's hard to tell from the photo what kind of leather was used, best to skip on it.
A Bellstaff fur “grizzly” ?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BELSTAFF-B...-/293861304852?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Claybertrand

One Too Many
This is painful. Literally the most boring, plain, style-lacking leather jacket ever created in the history of leather jacket and yet you know someone's gonna buy it. Just look at it! It's as if whoever designed it spent years toning down, killing, suffocating every bit of design that might have turned out fun. It's an achievement in plainness. It should hang in a museum as a piece depicting manifested death of creativity. $1200+ for a stealth suit because nobody is going to see, let alone notice you wearing this.
Agree, I just had the same bad experience with an old conmar, I tried to fix it like a member here successfully did a few years ago but in my case it didn't work, after removing the pin, sewing and gluing the tape (it seemed a nice work) and putting the pin on again the zipper didn't work anymore, so I finally had to replace it with a new YKK zipper (replacing only the male side didn't work too) but at least I was able to keep the original conmar slider that works in the YKK:
I6DCTS6.jpg

Anyway, after my failed fix I found on another forum that a guy used a cheap chinese UV glue like this one to fix its zipper tape and it worked, surely better than my sewing+superglue. Maybe if used at first sign of fraying it can avoid the complete failure of the zipper. Anyway I just bought one just in case...
Wq8As28.jpg
Its a GREAT save when you can use a Vintage pull on a new YKK track. Good for you on that brother!!! I have not had luck with Talon pulls on modern tracks. Its the pull that is distinctive not the track. Unless its an old Crown Chevron or the other model they made after. Also, as Crown became C&Cs (Coats and Clark).....those were all very different tracks from the modern zippers YKK makes. The problem with the bad tapes on vintage jackets is that most of the time, its a case where the tape didn't go bad on YOUR watch....but rather while the previous owner had it. Its not usually possible to catch it so early as to be able to repair it with the glue method. But good idea to have that glue on hand if that method of repair is effective. If it DOES start to fray you can catch it early. Thanks for posting this.

Leather Walker

Practically Family
I6DCTS6.jpg

Wq8As28.jpg

Raul, sorry to read your experience fixing the pin zipper with my tips. I know there isn't any official and guaranteed way to solve this problem (if replacement ain't an option). The UV liquid-plastic is a method I already knew when faced the issue with my jacket. I found a blog where a guy glued the broken tape of its coat. For a few days I thought about getting the tool. In my case, the pin was biting the fabric too much and I opted to remove it, sewing the fabric and putting some nail lacquer (it stiffens fabric). After 3 years, I can tell my repair works well with no sign of fraying... for now.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Another CL find in Chicago - this a Hein Gereke with the full snap-out liner. I had one of these and miss it. The liner has a reflective element in it and literally makes the jacket act like a heated jacket with it in. Wore mine through several winters (Pre FL days) before a co-worker bought it off me for his motorcycle.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/clo/d/mount-prospect-first-gear-by-hein/7243318293.html

And just like that, I found an XL Tall on ebay the same jacket in new condition and bought it! :) This place, I tell you... :)

I Do actually need a good winter jacket. :)

Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Another CL find in Chicago - this a Hein Gereke with the full snap-out liner. I had one of these and miss it. The liner has a reflective element in it and literally makes the jacket act like a heated jacket with it in. Wore mine through several winters (Pre FL days) before a co-worker bought it off me for his motorcycle.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/clo/d/mount-prospect-first-gear-by-hein/7243318293.html

And just like that, I found an XL Tall on ebay the same jacket in new condition and bought it! :) This place, I tell you... :)

I Do actually need a good winter jacket. :)

That looks like one of their early Scout jackets, which is a really nice jacket for touring. Lots of features, smart pocket layout, removable lining, and excellent venting, and well-built. Looks like it's in great shape, and $150 is a good price for it.

Kubatu

A-List Customer
Figured I'd throw this one out there, although I can't confirm the seller would be willing to ship: a Passaic NJ issue police jacket. Size 46, Horsehide(?), with alpaca pile lining, $150. Really neat jacket. I like the back design in particular, it looks better than the T shaped pattern you see with many of these jackets.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/702209827102025/

130530462_10221159619518370_5711859119976444638_o.jpg

130195066_10221159620558396_447397947691158143_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana