Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Yeah that’s what got me. Is that price looked good even with the extra costs. If only I knew it’s weight so I could complete the estimate ha
Go with 3.5 kg. that's what I do. Roughly translates to about 7.5 pounds. If they're using DHL anything over triggers a massive difference in price. Meanwhile anything under doesn't make too much of a difference. So that's the risk you'll take. If you're buying something with massive buckles, super thick horse, etc. good chance it might go over, but I think 90% of what's out there will be under 3.5kg.

As I noted above somewhere, add about $100 dollars to whatever price you buy it for. You're paying shipping twice (within Japan about $10-20, and then to USA or where ever another $65 estimate, plus another $10 in fees)

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Buyout price is 19900 yen
入札する - bid
今すぐ落札する - make a successful bid now aka buy it now

it's buy it now at buyee too:
https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/c875310512?lang=en&rc=yaucb
also a few things. Not that I'm an expert, only bought 1 jacket so far, but have bid on several.

Price looks good on this. Similar brand different styles I've seen go for 30-35k yen (or $300-350). Don't confuse this label though with the Sugar Cane label which is a collab and usually sell for more.

This item is marked as grade "C". Most of the used jackets I see are "B" which means normal every day wear. C may indicate something more extreme or could just be they're noting that beautiful teacore popping through and tagging it as a "problem".

Make sure you know the sizes of what you're buying. I wouldn't go by what they state. So reference everything you can from that particular manufacturer. maybe there's a different size on Ebay that has pics of the p2p, etc. then you can at least ball park it.

you might be able to return stuff, but wow, that's going to be costly.

For myself, I bought a Vanson Enfield. Knew what I was going to get. Knew pretty much how it was going to fit. And was absolutely thrilled. But I've hesitated on stuff where I wasn't as familiar with the product because there is a bigger unknown than usual process on Ebay where you can ask questions, etc.

That Cal for instance that was posted earlier. No way I'd buy that. You'd be playing measurement russian roulette. Besides, once you add in the fees, it's pretty much what it would cost you buying one on here. If it had been $100 cheaper, maybe I'd chance it knowing I could resell it and get my money back. But if the numbers equal out to what you'd here, well it's obvious at that point. The cool thing though is they have a lot more selection of hard to find stuff or just more variety, especially if you in the 36-40 range.

dannyk

One Too Many
Thanks everyone learned a lot today and you’ve all been beyond helpful. Sadly last minute not going to buy the jacket. Got the ixnay from the real boss my fiancé. But she did like the look of some boots I want to buy so the consolation prize boots are underway. But invaluable info here. Which also means if @Monitor wants dibs it’s all yours bother.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
From what I gather (never used it either), the easiest way is to buy through a middleman like buyee, there is always a big banner at the top of the page that says

Overseas Customers - Click here to buy from overseas

It will bring you to buyee's site that is in English, the item description is still in japanese. In my case (EU), the price including taxes at buyee seems to include VAT. To figure out shipping costs look at the right of the page, just above Win now for buyout price, there is a link called Total Estimate that let's you put in the weight and see shipping options

For those that want to search japanese sites:
horsehide - 馬革
jacket - ジャケット
double riders (they use this for cross zips)- ダブルライダース
The VAT on Yahoo Auction JP is Japan's VAT which means seller is a registered shop not individual seller. If you buy item from individual seller, you won't be charged the Japan VAT. You would be charged duties and sales tax by your gov't when it arrives at your country.

air

One of the Regulars
Go with 3.5 kg. that's what I do. Roughly translates to about 7.5 pounds. If they're using DHL anything over triggers a massive difference in price. Meanwhile anything under doesn't make too much of a difference. So that's the risk you'll take. If you're buying something with massive buckles, super thick horse, etc. good chance it might go over, but I think 90% of what's out there will be under 3.5kg.

As I noted above somewhere, add about $100 dollars to whatever price you buy it for. You're paying shipping twice (within Japan about $10-20, and then to USA or where ever another $65 estimate, plus another $10 in fees)

I can see 3 air shipping options and one surface mail
Quotes to send 5kg to western europe:
EMS (International Courier Post): 9800 yen
DHL: 18298 yen
AIR (Airmail)/International Parcel: 10150 yen
Surface Mail /International Parcel: 4000 yen, shipping time up to 90 days

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I can see 3 air shipping options and one surface mail
Quotes to send 5kg to western europe:
EMS (International Courier Post): 9800 yen
DHL: 18298 yen
AIR (Airmail)/International Parcel: 10150 yen
Surface Mail /International Parcel: 4000 yen, shipping time up to 90 days

I have purchased 6 jackets on yahoo Japan auctions using buyee. I used DHL on all the jackets. I also purchased a Japanese leather jacket book. The cost of shipping the book is the same as a jacket. I've paid around 55 average for DHL shipping. I've paid no attention to the weight of the jackets. None of the jackets I purchased were Lost World weight.

Japan Post is not delivering to USA so the only reliable choice is DHL. I warn against using any of the other services. I chose the cheaper option for the book and it will probably take 30 days. I would not risk that on a leather jacket.

DHL is very fast if that helps. Remember it cost $22 to ship a large USPS priority box in CONUS.

Kubatu

A-List Customer
Kind of interested in this Branded Garments leather shirt, but I'm not sure if I could pull it off.

i-img1200x1051-1598752852jkfhvn3149675.jpg

Zenmarket automatically translates things, so I did chuckle at this odd translation:

"The making is not a delicate one made in Japan but a rough one made in the United States, so it may not be suitable for nervous people."

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
^^ This is great: "The making is not a delicate one made in Japan but a rough one made in the United States, so it may not be suitable for nervous people."

Perhaps we on FL are not named as nervous people as per this description. :)

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Kind of interested in this Branded Garments leather shirt, but I'm not sure if I could pull it off.

I like that shirt. Not sure how much wear I would give it, but does look nice.

"The making is not a delicate one made in Japan but a rough one made in the United States, so it may not be suitable for nervous people

Yes the translations can be rather interesting. This site looks very much like Buyee.

I cautioned people above on shipping, I should caution that is can be addictive. Prices there for me have been what I would have paid in USA on ebay or here. You will find jackets there you won't see here even with the influx of Japanese jackets on ebay and they are really showing up a lot of jackets.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab

i-img1200x1051-1598752852jkfhvn3149675.jpg

Zenmarket automatically translates things, so I did chuckle at this odd translation:

"The making is not a delicate one made in Japan but a rough one made in the United States, so it may not be suitable for nervous people."
Just awesome. Basically, only a badass can wear it. Got you written all over it.

Kubatu

A-List Customer
I cautioned people above on shipping, I should caution that is can be addictive. Prices there for me have been what I would have paid in USA on ebay or here. You will find jackets there you won't see here even with the influx of Japanese jackets on ebay and they are really showing up a lot of jackets.

Yes, especially for smaller sizes, these proxy sites have a lot of options. However, when you start to look at the actual fees and prices, many of them aren't really incredible deals, they're just more uncommon selections than what someone is used to on ebay, particular US-based ebay. It can very much turn into a "kid in the candy store" feeling.

For my part, I just try to limit the number of actual jackets I own, and if one is coming in, one goes out. I thought I would be done after purchasing an old NYPD horsehide jacket, but the measurements the seller gave aren't matching reality, so now there's an extra spot in my closet.

I don't understand the fuss about the leather shirt. It's just a longer jacket. I wear mine all the time, nobody really even notices. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner