Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Coriu

One Too Many
As a follow-up to the post above, here's a dark-brown, deerskin DR. In person, it is very rich...much more so than cowhide IMO. I am fascinated by "edgy" dress. The leather is very thick and would fit in nicely at a biker rally..as opposed to a similar jacket made of thin lambskin.
upload_2021-2-28_11-0-44.png

I think it comes down to style.
Most deerskin jackets have the hippie/ western vibe going on, or are that buckskin color. Those who own deer jackets in great looking designs and other colors seem to be very happy. It is a softer hide, so the drape is important to consider.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think it comes down to style.
Most deerskin jackets have the hippie/ western vibe going on, or are that buckskin color. Those who own deer jackets in great looking designs and other colors seem to be very happy.
Lost worlds come to mind for using good deerskin in vintage design jackets in various colors

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Completely agree here in the basic form that Deerskins are plentiful. I just do not find many of the jackets in styles i would wear.

Finally, as some of us know, deer are overpopulating many areas. Not nearly as many people will get upset about killing deer as they will horses. I know some hard-core deerhunters who could not bring themself to shoot a horse. So, for the future, deerhides might be a more sustainable option, cost aside.

As many thousands of miles I have driven all over in Northern, central & south-west Wisconsin, I finally "met" a deer in Northern Iowa a few years back. It was on a snow covered road, only about 30 mph, and his friend has already made it across the road. I didn't see the second deer in time. I more like "tossed" the small deer, who took off right after landing.

IMG_1475.JPG

Coriu

One Too Many
Completely agree here in the basic form that Deerskins are plentiful. I just do not find many of the jackets in styles i would wear.

As many thousands of miles I have driven all over in Northern, central & south-west Wisconsin, I finally "met" a deer in Northern Iowa a few years back. It was on a snow covered road, only about 30 mph, and his friend has already made it across the road. I didn't see the second deer in time. I more like "tossed" the small deer, who took off right after landing.

View attachment 314206
I have "met" Mr/Mrs deer on a couple of occasions, so I feel for you. I find that deerskin is used more frequently in Europe than in the US. Meindl in Germany https://www.alpen-lifestyle.de/en/meindl-fashion-20192020/for-man make a number of cool jackets with deerskin, like this jean jacket.
meindl-mens-outerwear-leather-emre-washed-jean-jacket-27961720537277_2000x.jpg

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
I have "met" Mr/Mrs deer on a couple of occasions, so I feel for you. I find that deerskin is used more frequently in Europe than in the US. Meindl in Germany https://www.alpen-lifestyle.de/en/meindl-fashion-20192020/for-man make a number of cool jackets with deerskin, like this jean jacket.
meindl-mens-outerwear-leather-emre-washed-jean-jacket-27961720537277_2000x.jpg
That's funny, because I was talking to Elfriede from Alpen Lifestyle about 1 week ago regarding a Daytona or Dawson (the one pictured) jacket made of chamois tanned doeskin or deerskin which is also hand dyed - she said that doeskin is more rustical compared to deerskin. Their leather jackets and trousers are manufactured in Germany and Hungary and only highest quality leather, materials are used. They are famous/popular for their Bavarian Leather trousers which are worn during Oktoberfest, Bavarian weddings and other occasions. Quality of Meindl is top notch (at least their high quality leather trousers)! Their doeskin or deerskin is getting better and better after decades of wear! An investment of 2k€ seems to be a lot of money on the one hand but on the other hand I think the investment would be as good as a Freewheelers or RMC invest IMO.

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
This Alpen stuff is so cool!!!
I agree. I've already considered to sell my RMC J24 or a FW but I would rather wait one more year as 2k for one jacket is a lot and my jacket budget for 2021 is already exhausted (I bought two more in 2021 than originally planned). As a native Bavarian I definitely want one sooner or later.

I agree. I've already considered to sell my RMC J24 or a FW but I would rather wait one more year as 2k for one jacket is a lot and my jacket budget for 2021 is already exhausted (I bought two more in 2021 than originally planned). As a native Bavarian I definitely want one sooner or later.

Don't recall when was the last time I saw something I liked as much! Trucker jacket would be an obvious choice but I actually like a few other styles a lot more. Pricey, for sure, though...
ml_4635_500_305_kaiser_franz_herrenjacke_15.jpg

mf_4896_03_501_305_bullrider_jacket.jpg

mf_6832_528_270_joyce_dajacket.jpg

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Don't recall when was the last time I saw something I liked as much! Trucker jacket would be an obvious choice but I actually like a few other styles a lot more. Pricey, for sure, though...

OK, I take #2 and #3 and we can use the sheepskin jacket for lying on ;)
Thanks for sharing. I wasn't aware that jacket #2 even exists - that's my favorite one of Meindl's collection!

Motocann

One Too Many

#2 with the patchwork is a super cool jacket- very European! I feel like if I were taking a trip to Europe I would have no problem wearing the hell out of a jacket like that, but here in the USA, it is a little unorthodox. I just feel more comfortable in a American style, like a trucker, or a motorcycle jacket etc. Silly, I know. But, that’s my take on it...

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
@Merv Yeah, I got you. Wearing a more European patchwork jacket like this would probably feel like if we Europeans would wear a cowboy hat here in Europe which is rare to find.

Coriu

One Too Many
That's funny, because I was talking to Elfriede from Alpen Lifestyle about 1 week ago regarding a Daytona or Dawson (the one pictured) jacket made of chamois tanned doeskin or deerskin which is also hand dyed - she said that doeskin is more rustical compared to deerskin. Their leather jackets and trousers are manufactured in Germany and Hungary and only highest quality leather, materials are used. They are famous/popular for their Bavarian Leather trousers which are worn during Oktoberfest, Bavarian weddings and other occasions. Quality of Meindl is top notch (at least their high quality leather trousers)! Their doeskin or deerskin is getting better and better after decades of wear! An investment of 2k€ seems to be a lot of money on the one hand but on the other hand I think the investment would be as good as a Freewheelers or RMC invest IMO.

Buy the Meindl! Their products reflect the history of their area.

I don't understand the hype over Japanese jackets(bang for your buck). It's too commercialized for me and gouging people off Americana somehow rubs me the wrong way. Some people would not think of buying a jacket made in China due to low-paid labor. If any of you think Japanese workers are paid well, consider this. RMC has a factory in Kobe. The cost of an apartment with utilities in Kobe is about $1500/month. The average factory worker makes about $28k/year, and the minimum wage is a little over $8/hour. Meindl has a factory in Germany. The average factory worker makes $37k/year and the cost of living is about 12% lower than in Japan.

I buy certain products made in Germany and expect to pay top dollar. For what the Japanese pay their workers, I think it is ridiculous for a leather jacket to cost $2500. Maybe these leather jacket companies in Japan pay their workers substantially more than average, but I would be surprised.

Last edited:

dannyk

One Too Many
Buy the Meindl! Their products reflect the history of their area.

I don't understand the hype over Japanese jackets(bang for your buck). It's too commercialized for me and gouging people off Americana somehow rubs me the wrong way. Some people would not think of buying a jacket made in China due to low-paid labor. If any of you think Japanese workers are paid well, consider this. RMC has a factory in Kobe. The cost of an apartment with utilities in Kobe is about $1500/month. The average factory worker makes about $28k/year, and the minimum wage is a little over $8/hour. Meindl has a factory in Germany. The average factory worker makes $37k/year and the cost of living is about 12% lower than in Japan.

I buy certain products made in Germany and expect to pay top dollar. For what the Japanese pay their workers, I think it is ridiculous for a leather jacket to cost $2500. Maybe these leather jacket companies in Japan pay their workers substantially more than average, but I would be surprised.
I mean even any economic aspect aside -which I understand can and does matter a lot to some people-but even that all removed I never got caught in the hype. There are amazing Japanese jackets and boots, but there’s amazing things from all over the place. There’s companies that focus on thick and heavy, companies that do laser precise intricate stitching, places that work with exotic leathers; there’s companies all over the globe and one that will specialize in your needs. I appreciate and love many of the Japanese companies and products. But simply having a made in Japan label/sticker doesn’t instantly make anything the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner