Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I just repair an old singer 201 for a friend. Complete rewire and disassembled. No Japanning done to it. The story of this one was left in a garage for about 20 years. He told me it was locked up. I look at the internals, and it did have SEVERAL hornet nests? or some kind of big insects. I will send pictures when I go through my iPhone. This repair was free of charge to my dear friend because I knew he purchased it for his mother when He returned from Korea. I knew that the machine has always been in the family and was a proud working machine. Regarding the video link. I pick it at random but later realized what a beauty of a machine that special edition model was. What a nice finish. I have seen some but not as nice as that particular one. I believe the 15-91 are a great home machine for very heavy use and leather. They are build like a tank. You can pick up one in offer up for under 100 dollars. Personally use UV Polyester Outdoor V92 (Tex 90) tread with them, and they work like a dream. Excellent for outdoor projects such as bbq/motorcycle and other type of outdoor covers. My current goal is to find a nice fabric to create covers for my bikes. I have friends who enjoy them as Christmas gifts. But first I am planing to pimp up my garage floor to host the new dressers for my little girls.

IMG_3577.JPG
IMG_3572.JPG
IMG_3575.JPG

Last edited:
You are correct. However, I have done some sewing my self due to the lack of quality professional work in my area (Los Angeles County). I started working and repairing dainese suits back in the 90s. My work was much better than most of the "Motorcycle" dedicated craftsman in my area. I also did seat for Ducati, Harley and BMW vintage bikes. In the late 70s, began to repair my own machines. In my collection, I have 8 machines that were literally found in the side of the road. From a Singer k29 to my workhorse servo motor consew (Bartered for a boat reupholster). I also worked with some boot makers in Leon Guanajuato. Working with thicker leather is difficult, but it should not be overpriced due to the thickness of leather. Lost worlds leather is thick, but I have worked with much ticker leather than their 4+ HH. Truly not that much more difficult. The problem is, many people are just losing the passion to produce excellent work. The proof is that most people find it necessary to ship items for repair due to the lack of local talent. I remember when there were many shoe repair in Pasadena when I was growing up. Now I think that there are six? Out of the six, One only does quality shoe resoles and major repairs. There is only one gent in this forum who I really trust to take on the jobs I can not PRESENTLY do.

Very cool that you do your own work. I like that. Wish it was something I could get into and then actually do.

The fact that less and less people have the passion for producing great work seems to be a logical reason for those with the passion to charge more. I certainly would. I would not pay someone who is trying to gouge me, but a bit more for more difficult work, not a problem by me. So long as they are excellent tailors.

And if anyone has a line into a local tailor in Austin or San Antonio, please let me know.

Jumper

A-List Customer
You are correct. However, I have done some sewing my self due to the lack of quality professional work in my area (Los Angeles County). I started working and repairing dainese suits back in the 90s. My work was much better than most of the "Motorcycle" dedicated craftsman in my area. I also did seat for Ducati, Harley and BMW vintage bikes. In the late 70s, began to repair my own machines. In my collection, I have 8 machines that were literally found in the side of the road. From a Singer k29 to my workhorse servo motor consew (Bartered for a boat reupholster). I also worked with some boot makers in Leon Guanajuato. Working with thicker leather is difficult, but it should not be overpriced due to the thickness of leather. Lost worlds leather is thick, but I have worked with much ticker leather than their 4+ HH. Truly not that much more difficult. The problem is, many people are just losing the passion to produce excellent work. The proof is that most people find it necessary to ship items for repair due to the lack of local talent. I remember when there were many shoe repair in Pasadena when I was growing up. Now I think that there are six? Out of the six, One only does quality shoe resoles and major repairs. There is only one gent in this forum who I really trust to take on the jobs I can not PRESENTLY do.

Would love to see a how-to thread on this sort of work. What can reasonably be done well by most people at home, what to use, how to do it, etc. ...Or is there already one of those?

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
At this point I'm thinking that the $450 he's asking is a bit much for a jacket that doesn't really have much monetary value as a collectable, and since the jacket is old enough that it also can't be considered an everyday-wear jacket. At the same time, I like the look (the design and the leather / color) and the measurements are right for me... Will probably wait and see if he'll come down on the price after a while. I'll post here if I end up getting it at some point :)

The jacket does have a value as a collectible, I have a goatskin collection! I'm not in the game deep when it comes to sizes I can't wear. Most of my Goatherd is in the 44 range, which I can wear. 30s era jackets are more likely to be in the 38/40 size range so 44 are hard to find. I'm typically envious of people who can wear a 38/40! I buy out of my size if it is interesting, very interesting and has room for growth. Then, since they are so cool, I end up keeping them on the wall! (I'm chasing one like that as I write this, cool but can't wear)

I'm always moving around jackets. I just moved two in the 38/40 size down from display. I will let you know what I may have of interest.

I don't care much for the presentation of this jacket. Nothing wrong or deceiving, just a bit too much for a jacket they know little about. The condition looks decent (this jacket is at least 80 years old) Goat can age very well, I know. The Color/finish is not brought out by their photos. It will be much better in person. Goat was a premier fashion leather in this era. I would say the label is rare; I've never seen this. The obvious take on their rival really interest me. That does add to the jacket. The Sellers just don't know those pieces to add. A fairly high end jacket, exclusive. It has the color but missing some bling and the original zipper.

Missing the zipper is a tough one to swallow and I need a price reflecting that important missing piece.

It has a value probably well below the sellers estimation. I would price it more in the $325-375 range with a lot more story. The replaced zipper hurts the most.

Better pictures get better money.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Nice. This is one is my favorite jackets. It's made out of lightweight hh which makes it a perfect choice for the spring. Great pattern too, very comfortable to wear.

These don't show up on the second hand market that often. It looks to be in great condition. New these go for $1700

View attachment 345405

My favorite of your jackets. The fit is appears perfect?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran